Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

"We in comparison to that enormous articulation; we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half finished sentences out of a stupid suburban novel."

unprofessional posted:

Sat on the lawn chair on my porch and just zoomed all the way in and waited for this guy to show up.

That is a great shot! We have a hummingbird feeding on some of our bud lea's but I can never get my camera in time to catch him. What's your ISO and shutter speed for that shot if you don't mind me asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
To be honest, I just took that on auto-settings, before I ever really understood manual settings, but I see in the exif data that it's 1/100 second, f/3.5, and I think the ISO generally defaults to 100 in auto settings. I would definitely go with a faster shutter speed now, and try to catch it away from the feeder nozzle if possible. I've read that one thing to do with hummingbirds is if your feeder has multiple heads, put tape on all the ones that you don't want the birds going to, so they'll situate themselves best for you.

If you use Firefox, check out the exif viewer extension. Let's you right click and see settings on most photos.

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

I love bird photography, but due to budget I have been shooting with the 55-250. I have a forest fairly close to my back balcony so I am still getting some decent shots.

also some vids taken through the same lens with the 500D's 720p video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIizfCcB2ys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFCGYTF9aY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZzzRgNtLNY

Thank you for this thread! Unfortunately it just makes me want to buy some longer glass which is out of my price range at the moment :( Does anyone know how the teleconverters work with the 55-250?

edit: it seems that the teleconverters are for the EF mount. Does this mean that EF-S lenses won't mount on them?

slearch fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 20, 2009

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I borrowed a 100-400 L lens for a trip to a cloud forest in Mexico.

It was OK but I should have just taken my 300mm f/4L as it seems much sharper and I can drop the ISO down into less noisy territory.

10 inches of taffy
Sep 13, 2003

I have more tows than you.
I'd like to throw my hat into the ring here. A winter backpacking trip into the White Mountains (CA) and this little guy was hanging around our first camp. Shot with a Canon 20d and 100-400 L (way too heavy to carry backpacking).

It kind of looks like he's praying before dinner.

In reality, he's just winding up to slam it open.

Going for round two.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Testing my new ballhead and found this guy, never could get a good angle.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Yourmomlovesme posted:

drat, I love action shots like that. Very nice catch!

Dread Head posted:

Testing my new ballhead and found this guy, never could get a good angle.

Is that with your crazy long lens you just got? Great looking shots, but this one stands out to me, I think it's the crazy looking feathers everywhere.

--

Keeping with the testing theme, I bought a Canon 200mm F2.8L the other day at a price I couldn't pass up, and there's nothing going on today so I figured I'd pester the birds out back while testing the lens. This is at F2.8 in horribly overcast conditions and it's still impressively sharp. I love primes:

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I love trying to take bird photos, because even though most of them will turn out completely terrible because those fuckers hate having their picture taken, when it comes together you just feel great.

This is probably my favourite shot, but I kind of regret the things I did in Photoshop in hindsight. I'll probably redo it when I feel like it.

This one I just like for some reason and it'll probably be my desktop for quite some time.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

diarrhea for girls posted:

drat, I love action shots like that. Very nice catch!

Is that with your crazy long lens you just got? Great looking shots, but this one stands out to me, I think it's the crazy looking feathers everywhere.

Yes with that lens although it is not that long and I forgot my TC. Had terrible luck with birds lately.

some form last weekend I just remembered.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
A large flock of gulls roosting.

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

I startled this guy (and he startled me)when I was taking photos of construction at a dam. He flew right over me and I just started snapping. I'm glad I got one shot where his wings weren't cut off. Now I kind of want to go back and get more pictures of herons and cranes. I've always been impressed by them. I'd love to shoot birds more often.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I shot some birds today.

Since it is getting to be Septembery here, the sandhill cranes are forming up flocks for the migration south. These fields at the local UAF experimental ram attract vast flockes twice a year, one time coming up and the nest time heading out. These guys are heading out.

All pictures taken with a Sony A200 and various lenses

A juvenile flanked by a pair of adults. It's amazing how fast birds grow. That bird in the middle was an egg back in May and now it's 4 feet tall or so. I used a Tamron Adaptall 60-300 SP lens, with a Minolta AF adapter. Too bad I focused more on the bushes than the birds.

It is pretty chaotic among the cranes. They sort of mill around, squabble, preen and strut. This was taken with the 60-300 and a 2x teleconverter, which on a A200 equals a 960mm lens, figuring in the crop factor.

This one was taken using a Vivitar TX 300mm lens, and the 2X TC. I used a M42 TX mount and a M42 to AF adapter, one from ebay with the focus confirmation chip. The problem I have with the ebay adapter is that there is no provision to push the arperture pin so it shoots wide open-I had to modify the TX mount to stop down manually. I shot most of these at f8 or f11, ISO 400, shutter 250 to 125.

This was taken using a Tamron adapt-a-matic lens, 200-500mm zoom and the 2x TC. It's not quite as sharp as I'd like but it sure gets out there and brings the critters in close. I originally got this lens with a Minolta MD mount, ended up buying another adapt-a-matic lens for the M42 mount so I could use the M42 to AF adapter

Same setup as above. It's a big heavy rig that overwhelms my tripod, which may contribute to the lack of super sharpness. No pixel peeping please.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One from today.

Curufin
Oct 6, 2003

Guardian of the Blind
A few from the far reaches of Europe!

A Seagull, Suomenlinna, Helsinki, Finland

A couple of Kittiwakes in their tidy, clean nests. Mykines, Faroe Islands

Puffin! Mykines, Faroe Islands

Puffins! Mykines, Faroe Islands

The last surviving colony of Gannets in the Faroes. Mykines, Faroe Islands

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Curufin posted:

Puffin! Mykines, Faroe Islands

Puffins! Mykines, Faroe Islands

Jealous of the Puffins, would love to see some sometime, nice shots.

Curufin
Oct 6, 2003

Guardian of the Blind

Dread Head posted:

Jealous of the Puffins, would love to see some sometime, nice shots.

Just save up a fortune and go to the Faroe Islands in late June/early July. It was impossible not to see one:

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

Eatin' planets, fightin', and drinkin' 'round the world!
Holy crap, those shots are beautiful. And the puffin portraits are just so sharp and well composed :)

this is a great thread. i'm envious of some of the shots posted here!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Puffins are so awesome, you did a fantastic job capturing them! The Faroe Islands look tempting!

I continue my backyard bird extravaganza with bribery. Who wants a Grasshopper?

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 14, 2009

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Beautiful puffin shots, I agree!

Finally back home after a good 5-6 weeks of traveling for work, almost forgot which end of the camera you look through...

Juvenile ibises fighting over the tallest branch...

Anhinga taking off to make sure I don't steal her fish:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You photographed Nessie!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

diarrhea for girls posted:

You photographed Nessie!

That poor girl was so concerned about her dinner that she just leapt into the water upon seeing me and started swimming away as quickly as possible. Looks like a lucky catch!

I also spotted a Nikon fan:

This guy and all his buddies tried to poop on me too, while I was snapping shots of them up in a tree.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 15, 2009

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Oh man, I would kill for a shot like this. That's awesome.

Here is one of a Chickadee taking off away from me. These things were landing really close to me for some reason so I didn't even crop this

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One from the weekend and one from today.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One from today:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dread Head posted:

One from today:

That is excellent. What lens did you use? It has that nice supertele looking background. :)

Osprey from today:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Clayton Bigsby posted:

That is excellent. What lens did you use? It has that nice supertele looking background. :)

Nikon 200-400 F4, 400mm wide open, it is dreamy wide open.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dread Head posted:

Nikon 200-400 F4, 400mm wide open, it is dreamy wide open.

Nice. I wish Canon would at some point offer a 200-400/4 but it seems like it'll never happen. That one and an IS version of my 400/5.6 would be something I'd pay dearly for. :)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Nice. I wish Canon would at some point offer a 200-400/4 but it seems like it'll never happen. That one and an IS version of my 400/5.6 would be something I'd pay dearly for. :)

I also wish Nikon would make a 400 f4 so I guess we are kind of even :P

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Have to make do with the thing for now though.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Clayton Bigsby, that's an amazing shot, as are a lot of the ones in this thread. I recently got a longer lens and I can contribute.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
An old one i dug up, from when i was still clueless and shot at 1/125th at 300mm without a tripod, but i think its cool still

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Inspired by Curufin, a puffin picture from Hafnarholmi near Borgarfjörður Eystri on the East fjords of Iceland.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
I haven't really been shooting birds much, but one of my conclusions from my last trip was that I definitely needed to open up more - however a couple people has said they liked the out of focus bits on this one, what do you think?

f6.3 or 7.1 would most likely give me too slow shutter or too high iso since this was pretty dark to begin with though. Should i just keep regretting I got the 70-300 f4-f5.6 IS USM instead of the 70-200mm f4L ? :(

Greybone fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 5, 2009

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Greybone posted:

I haven't really been shooting birds much, but one of my conclusions from my last trip was that I definitely needed to open up more - however a couple people has said they liked the out of focus bits on this one, what do you think?

f6.3 or 7.1 would most likely give me too slow shutter or too high iso since this was pretty dark to begin with though. Should i just keep regretting I got the 70-300 f4-f5.6 IS USM instead of the 70-200mm f4L ? :(

If your problem is not enough depth of field you wouldn't gain anything from a faster lens since it'd just decrease it more. I think your image looks fine; one thing to keep in mind is that most people tend to pay the most attention to the eyes and if you can get the eye(s) of the bird nice and sharp other things will fall into place.

Trying to balance the depth of field can be a constant battle as you often want the super smooth background that's characteristic of a long lens shot wide open, but also might want more of the bird in focus. It's best to just play with your lenses at various settings on a static subject (use a wooden duck if that's what it takes) to get a good understanding of what you gain and sacrifice at various apertures.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
All my bird shots involve dead things.

Dead Banana Rat

Dead Boa Constrictor

Curufin
Oct 6, 2003

Guardian of the Blind

SKULE123 posted:

Inspired by Curufin, a puffin picture from Hafnarholmi near Borgarfjörður Eystri on the East fjords of Iceland.

That's awesome! I really wanted to get a picture of a puffin with a bill full of food, but I didn't see a single one the entire trip. :(

GratefulHume
Aug 8, 2005

mobilis in mobili

SKULE123 posted:

This is excellent! Here are my sub par submissions:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

SKULE123 posted:

Puffins, great bird or greatest bird? I really like how it's composed and the two blooms in front are really cool and not at all distracting thanks to the bright colors of the puffin. Great shot of this one!

GratefulHume posted:

This is excellent! Here are my sub par submissions:

The eyes on that thing are freaky! Haha. I can feel it looking into my soul!

A Blue Jay gathering some berries or something, which you can see it has quite a mouthful.

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma
Wood River, Dillingham Alaska, Canon 20D / 100-400L

Marymoor Park, Redmond, WA, Canon 20D / 300mm f/4L:

After selling the 300mm f/4L, and renting a 100-400 a few times, I finally bought a Sigma 80-400mm OS f/3.5-5.6. AF is too slow for BiF, but I got it for just $500. I'd really like to get the 300 F/4 again, or a 400 f/5.6 to go with my new 7D. The 400 seems under appreciated due to the lack of IS, but the sharpness and AF performance makes it a pretty nice lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

wankle posted:

Wood River, Dillingham Alaska, Canon 20D / 100-400L

YOU ARE ALL WEIRDOS.