Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

TheCaptain posted:

At 250mm this is about as close as I could get.
Nice shots! I have a hard time getting close to cardinals, they're quite skittish here and will bolt for the slightest of reasons.

It was 22 degrees out yesterday but that didn't stop me from laying on the ground trying to get some shots of a rather brave song sparrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regressor
Apr 9, 2009
It's no Costa Rica, but the zoo's a great place to find hummingbirds!

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Call me crazy or sheltered... but I've never actually seen a humming bird with its beak open. Bravo.

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

It's time to get a little Captain in you!
Birds, birds, birds! I love Birds!

Any ID on this one? I believe it's some kind of heron.

Some Muscovy ducks:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sup Bird Photographing goons! :cheers: I've been dabbling in all kinds of photography for about a year and a half now, including birds. The best tele lens I can afford is the Nikon 55-200mm VR. Not a particularly good lens for birding, I know, but I'm poor. So

Western Scrub Jay

A Hummingbird nurses its baby.

He later tried to fly, and failed... Cute, but kinda sad...

Some sort of sparrow on a rock looking at the landscape.

Common Raven in flight

Some shots from San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park, which I know is kind of cheating, since you can get a lot closer and the birds don't spook as easily, but I still like em. It's good practice for every thing else but stalking them though (framing, focus, etc)
Demoiselle Crane

Western Burrowing Owl

White Breasted Cormorants

I shoot a D60 so I'm kind of limited in the lenses I can use while maintaining a level of ease of use. I have some MF glass, but the combination of no metering and my suckage w/ manual focusing means that my good shot yield is abysmal. Does anyone else shoot with the 55-200mm VR or similar? I was considering checking out the Sigma 70-300mm APO, also because of its 1:2 macro focusing ability, but I don't know if it's really worth it.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

TheCaptain posted:

Birds, birds, birds! I love Birds!

Any ID on this one? I believe it's some kind of heron.

Looks like an anhinga.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

Regressor
Apr 9, 2009
Nice, scene, but you look like you missed focus. And faster shutter speeds for birds.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

I shoot a D60 so I'm kind of limited in the lenses I can use while maintaining a level of ease of use. I have some MF glass, but the combination of no metering and my suckage w/ manual focusing means that my good shot yield is abysmal. Does anyone else shoot with the 55-200mm VR or similar? I was considering checking out the Sigma 70-300mm APO, also because of its 1:2 macro focusing ability, but I don't know if it's really worth it.

I can't give you specific advice since I'm a Canon shooter, but I have a 200mm prime and while it's a nice range some of the time, it still felt lacking when birding and I wasn't really happy until I picked up a 2x extender to get to 400mm. Hopefully someone has experience with that 70-300 and can say something about quality or mention something else. In the meantime here's a link to a bunch of samples with that 70-300 lens, and you can kind of get an idea what to expect at least. Currently page 2 has some bird shots, although it looks like it's mainly the Canon version. http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=250

--
I've posted these elsewhere but forgot to include them here, so here ya go. Backyard bonanza continues!

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

A fat little sparrow back home on holidays.

An "american dipper" (I had never heard of them before)

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

I had a cardinal that was more than happy to pose for me today:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
This post isn't exactly a bird picture, but I noticed a lot more flickr hits than normal today and was excited to see that a popular travel blog had picked my puffin picture of a couple of pages back for their photo of the day.

http://www.gadling.com/2010/01/09/photo-of-the-day-01-09-09/

Just wanted to share with my goon bird photo buds, since I probably wouldn't have submitted it without the encouragement from this thread. :)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

SKULE123 posted:

This post isn't exactly a bird picture, but I noticed a lot more flickr hits than normal today and was excited to see that a popular travel blog had picked my puffin picture of a couple of pages back for their photo of the day.

Just wanted to share with my goon bird photo buds, since I probably wouldn't have submitted it without the encouragement from this thread. :)

I subscribe to that blog and I was 98% sure that was a goons photo, nice work. I have actually been featured on their a few times :)

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
i want a 600mm lens

fenner fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 10, 2010

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

SKULE123 posted:

Congratulations, that's an awesome photo! :)

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

European Starling in flight:

Quick little bastards.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

diarrhea for girls posted:

European Starling in flight:

Quick little bastards.

Very nice! As far as I know these things are tiny, must have been insanely hard to capture it, decent light too, just creeping in on his face.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
A B&W bird... Was underexposed (Aperture prio... white bird... not gonna happen bro) so i pushed it a ton, realized it looked like poo poo and thought hey im gonna make this B&W and pretend that its shot on film

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

Australia?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

fenner posted:

Very nice! As far as I know these things are tiny, must have been insanely hard to capture it, decent light too, just creeping in on his face.

Thanks fenner! Yeah those things are pretty tiny, it was flying directly at me in a short space and with pure luck the AF managed to follow it. I would have gotten a couple better shots but unfortunately I had my lens focus limit switch on 3.5m instead of 1.5m, aghhh

I like your shot! White birds are a pain to shoot, for sure. Yours looks good in B&W, and good detail on the beak. I also really like how it's facing with the slight downwards look.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

I love the color contrast between the bird and the tree. Very nice.

I got my Sony A330 in December and today was the first day I used my 55-200. I went to what could be considered the zoo and took some bird photos. I liked the way these came out.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Here's a robin I saw on a walk a couple of days ago. Robins are pretty fearless, so I was able to get very close - this was taken with a 300mm lens on a full-frame camera and is uncropped. I should have used a much higher shutter speed to get a sharper shot, but oh well, I'm satisfied.

Edit - argh, uploaded the wrong version. Ignore the one at the bottom, you can't delete an attached image once it's on there.

To make up for it, I'll add a bonus shot of a sparrow in Mexico a couple of months ago. Like the Robin above, they don't mind people. These little guys hang out near resorts and raid tables for crumbs after people leave. This one was on top of the bush, waiting for my girlfriend and I to leave, so I grabbed my camera. This spooked him and he flew off as I was taking the shot with my Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 - in other words, this shot was all luck.

VVV ignore this one, once an image is attached to the post it's there for good VVV

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 22, 2010

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Stitched/merged together three shots of this crow, since all I had on me at the time was my 400mm setup and I was way close because it was chowing down on some dead rabbit and it felt no fear.

Came out pretty well though!

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Some ISO 1600 birds with front focusing lens.

e: I strive for the quality of your bird photos diarrhea for girls, my birds only look good on small size... I will just blame my lens for now.

fenner fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 25, 2010

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Australia?

Yea, Gold Coast :)

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Cyberbob posted:

drat, this owns.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

That's my first shot with the 500mm mirror lens I bought. It was only $130. The lens CAN produce nice photos, if conditions are ideal. I've gotten a bit better with it since. I need to find more interesting birds, too. Haha.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

fenner posted:

e: I strive for the quality of your bird photos diarrhea for girls, my birds only look good on small size... I will just blame my lens for now.

Thanks fenner!

They look great to me and I'm loving the variety you've got going on! That one titled "Blue Hat" is awesome! That bright blue is amazing looking. I can't think of any birds around here that share that color. Great angle on that Crimson Rosella too!

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Honolulu Zoo, this guy was just chilling on a hedge.

Same place, but this guy was following me around screaming like a maniac.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
A word of caution to anyone trying to get close up with a swan, don't use your finger as bait!

All I had when I took this was an old canon powershot with craptastic zoom, so I had to get in really close. I put my hand out to get the swan's attention and it mistook me for bread and bit my goddamn fingers.

Do birds in zoo's count? :ohdear:

Or how about rear end in a top hat birds?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Swans freak me out, they have no fear after months of being fed by hand and they'll get right up in your face about it. Haha. Great shots, Abbeh!

---
It's snowing here and that's my favorite time to go birding, here's a couple more cardinal-in-the-snow shots and a song sparrow that has turned my motorcycle shed into a giant bird house for the time being.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

It was amazingly fun to creep up on this guy.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
When I was in Peru I often found that my 70-200 was enough. A lot of birds would let you get real close if you were careful enough not to startle them.

Anhima cornuta:

A pelican of some sort:

Would appreciate an ID on any of these:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

I'm envious you were in Peru! That place is a birder's theme park. They've got more species of birds there than North America and Europe combined. Unfortunately I can't help you with the IDs, but I do like your photos!

--
This Northern Cardinal is quite used to me by now. I just wish I could get friendly with the jays. :mad:

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

Would appreciate an ID on any of these:

Pale-winged trumpeter.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Some kind of curassow, maybe wattled?

The only reason I could even take a guess was that related birds appear in Andrew Zuckerman's book Bird, which I just got for my birthday. Alas, I have no clue about your other bird.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

tiercel posted:

The only reason I could even take a guess was that related birds appear in Andrew Zuckerman's book Bird, which I just got for my birthday.

I keep meaning to pick that up, it looks fantastic. The shots I've seen that he has shared online are stunning.

---

Just another sparrow today:

I was |   | close to getting some nice Pileated Woodpecker shots (those things are huge!) but while I was moving extra slowly to get into position it took off. Argh, I hate that. I'm going to have to go all out and deck myself out in camo next time, haha.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

diarrhea for girls posted:

I was |   | close to getting some nice Pileated Woodpecker shots (those things are huge!) but while I was moving extra slowly to get into position it took off. Argh, I hate that. I'm going to have to go all out and deck myself out in camo next time, haha.

Looking forward to those. Here is my "this close" picture. I walked half a mile into the sun to get a picture of this bird, and just as I rounded his tree, he took off. I took three pictures, this one, and two of his back.

10 feet and 1 minute more is all I needed. Didn't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Slo-Tek posted:

Looking forward to those. Here is my "this close" picture. I walked half a mile into the sun to get a picture of this bird, and just as I rounded his tree, he took off. I took three pictures, this one, and two of his back.

10 feet and 1 minute more is all I needed. Didn't get it.

Aww man, that sucks! Nothing is worse than watching your subject fly away in the viewfinder. Leaves you feeling so empty inside.

That's still a nice photo, but I can imagine the shot you were after and man. :smith: I hope you've gotten a second chance since then!