Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miasma blues
May 18, 2008

There fly those who didn't survive the winter.
It's going to be spring soon.
Seagulls:

Didn't manage to meter and adjust in time, so the sky is totally blown.

Clone-stamp doves:

Doves are nice to photograph, because they're so used to people being around.

All shot with a Canon 60mm 2.8 USM. Supposed to be a macro lens, but it's reasonably fast and the USM helps with AF speed.

Click any for big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

miasma blues posted:

Seagulls:

Didn't manage to meter and adjust in time, so the sky is totally blown.

gently caress the sky, they look great. I want to see what they look like in black and white.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
Can anyone ID this Quail? Taken in Outback NSW, Australia

And I would like some opinions on this shot, personally I like it because it was a reflex shot and I didn't expect it to come out this well..

miasma blues
May 18, 2008

There fly those who didn't survive the winter.
It's going to be spring soon.

ricepaddydaddy posted:

And I would like some opinions on this shot, personally I like it because it was a reflex shot and I didn't expect it to come out this well..

It's really nice. Two ideas though: Give the subject space on the side it looks at. This also applies to most any living subject, or inanimate subjects with faces. Also, try and get the wings in a backward position, so they don't obscure the head and are fully spread. Congrats on having the dof spot on though, it's very narrow so that was a lucky shot. Increase dof by narrowing down aperture if the light permits it.

TigerMoJo
Mar 11, 2008

ricepaddydaddy posted:

Can anyone ID this Quail? Taken in Outback NSW, Australia

Looks like a franklin. I saw them a lot growing up in Hawaii. At least that's what we always called them.

Edit: I googled it and apparently it's spelled francolin.

TigerMoJo fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 7, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Song Sparrow.

PS, this site is great for looking for an ID. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Dread Head posted:

Thanks a lot for that site! Definitely bookmarked.

---

Today was pretty awful with horrible overcast until the last hour or two when the sun finally decided to come out.
I think this Northern Mockingbird which has lived in my backyard for about a year got caught by a Merlin. :smith:

Less than an hour later:

At least the Merlin looks awesome, though!

Going to go buy a box of chocolates, a bathrobe, and a copy of "Circle of Life" by Elton John.
edit: false alarm, I'm watching my fat mockingbird buddy in the backyard right now. Guess it was some other sucka that got caught. :shobon:

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 10, 2010

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Field Sparrow:

While I would have much preferred to be eye level, I was sitting on some steps and this little guy landed 3 feet away and just kept getting closer and closer. I actually wished I had my macro lens, haha.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Black-crowned Night-Heron:

Little Blue Heron:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Turkey Vulture:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Canadian Goose getting ready to nest.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!
I took these two on pretty my first outing with my 20D and 28-80mm lense. I've already found many of the limitations of this lense, but these two came out alright - at least I think so?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Nice shots Obviously Erratic! I like the colors of the birds. Might want to get rid of that ugly dust spot on the left side though. :)

Field Sparrow:

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!

diarrhea for girls posted:

Nice shots Obviously Erratic! I like the colors of the birds. Might want to get rid of that ugly dust spot on the left side though. :)

Field Sparrow:

Wow, I hadn't even noticed the dust spot!
I'll need to check over the rest of my shots, I hope that can be cleaned off :(

That shot is great, it's so sharp and the colours are fantastic. Good job!

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

It's time to get a little Captain in you!

diarrhea for girls posted:

Turkey Vulture:

Ooh! Awesome Vulture. This is what I was going for with my pelican.

Road Runner (meep meep):

Pelican:

Black-Crowned Night Heron:

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
My girlfriend and I hit up Ding Darling this weekend (didn't rain like last time thank god). God some alright shots. This is my second trip and I'm still getting used to shooting white birds. One of these weekends I'll feel like getting up earlier and maybe I'll get some morning light.

This one was a little late as you can see by the angle, but he's still in flight drat it.

I should really invest in some software to process these. Seems a little dark and dull to me.

I would have liked to get more of his reflection, but unfortunately that's how it's framed (spot metering on center dot only for XSi).

Cropped a bit, but had to for the water drop.

PhotoDropShip
Feb 23, 2010
Here is a photo I took of seagulls flying in front of the sunrise near Galveston.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
It's not like I've got many opportunities to shoot a bald eagle, and when I do he's not only in an enclosure, but he's backed up right against the chain-link fence so I can't even hide it with bokeh. It's like I went for a photo but ended up with a political metaphor or something.

In other news these were all shot with my ancient (~18 years old) 70-300 f/4.5-5.6, and color me surprised but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I've had issues with this thing being fuzzy as poo poo wide-open at 300mm, but it was full daylight so I had decent shutter speeds. I know one of the girls who works the bird exhibit, I'd love to get inside someday and do some actual portraits of the birds.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Male Hooded Merganser

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I pointed the camera up to meter the sky and there it was!

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4421354596_ee3f737c9a_o.gif[/img]

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Shooting against snow is a real PITA. Especially on a bright day with no clouds. Still, I think these came out ok...

Munchee
Jun 7, 2006
EAT BEES
I thought you guys would enjoy this - one lucky SOB featured in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1258110/Amazing-moment-bald-eagle-chases-catches-starling-mid-air.html

Click here for the full 964x650 image.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Holy poo poo that's awesome. Wish I had the patience/luck that guy had.

e: After reading the article, I attribute this less to luck. He apparently saw a pattern and capitalized on it. Good for him.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 18, 2010

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

drat, I don't know how I'm gonna follow that eagle shot but here's a Black-Crowned Night Heron. He's not a fatass like my previous one.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I didn't even realize we had a thread for bird photography. It is something I hope to get into more once I have a decent long range lens. But for now I did manage to snap some decent photos of some red-tailed hawks that were chowing down on some rabbit. The one eating let me get about 8 feet from it and didn't even care.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

TheCaptain posted:

drat, I don't know how I'm gonna follow that eagle shot but here's a Black-Crowned Night Heron. He's not a fatass like my previous one.

Looking good. Did you find him in a reserve or out and about somewhere?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dread Head posted:

Oh man, I wish they had a mobile version of that site.

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

Bahama.Llama posted:

Looking good. Did you find him in a reserve or out and about somewhere?

I took this shot at a bird sanctuary for injured birds but he wasn't part of an enclosure. Many birds from all over would just fly by and hang around in hopes of a free lunch.

Geektechboy
Jan 29, 2008
I took these at Edinburgh Botanic Gardens trying out my new 70-200 f4L.

Two of a Dunnock.

A Robin.

This one I may have over sharpened, but I can't decide so any suggestions would be helpful.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Geektechboy posted:

A Robin.

This one I may have over sharpened, but I can't decide so any suggestions would be helpful.

It looks maybe just a tiny bit oversharp, but your version is probably fine -- Flickr runs some fairly serious sharpening on everything you upload.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

I don't know what sort of bird this is. Taken at Melbourne Zoo, Australia

Ozworld
Jul 6, 2005

Come for the kangaroo fights, stay for the hospitality!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
When I take a picture of a bird in flight they never seem to be 100% in focus.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

IGotNothing
Jul 21, 2004
1 + 1 = 3 (for large values of 1)
A boring ol Pigeon

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Duck-filled pond and this was the best I could get:

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

I just caught this ad on TV and ended up with the same :saddowns: look on my face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btk3v5Ni8cY

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Eastern Bluebird, I think.

Also saw a Northern Shoveler, which was new to me, but the picture wasn't much account.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
Finally, a picture of mine that isn't completely centered around a bird feeder.

And, here's two with feeders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
Took some shots of birds in the park. Unfortunately, nothing too interesting since the weather isn't great yet.

Tongsy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 25, 2010