Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Bewick's Wren

Ring-necked Duck (male)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Cross-posting these from my Mazatlan trip report. All of these were shot with a Sony a850 (which is full-frame) and either the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 or a Konica-Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8. No long glass necessary!

Brown Pelican

Gull

Dove

Tern

I have no idea what these things are, but they had a wingspan of 4-5 feet and aren't afraid of humans, so I call them Death Gulls.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Holy poo poo those birds are awesome. I also don't know what kind they are... but they certainly are the death gulls for sure.

On that

Bob Socko posted:

On the top right, you have what appears to be the tail of a bird that is out of frame. If you cloned that out, I think it would improve this a little. Super cool placement. And maybe even crop that bottom right bird out of the frame. I dunno... it's pretty cool as is... but try it out.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Bob Socko posted:

I have no idea what these things are, but they had a wingspan of 4-5 feet and aren't afraid of humans, so I call them Death Gulls.

They look like some species of frigate bird.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Here's a few taken when I was in Palm Springs last week. All taken with the Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS.

I don't have a bird book handy, anyone know what this is?

Not sure what happened to all the Road Runners in this area. When I came here as a kid we'd see tons, but they're much rarer nowdays.

California Quail that decided to make my day by sitting in the perfect spot.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

It must have been freezing swimming through that.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

sensy v2.0 posted:

It must have been freezing swimming through that.

This is awesome because it looks like he's swimming through sand. :aaaaa: good work.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
A juvenile Cooper's hawk.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Does anyone know what kind of bird this is?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
A quick guess is the Common Grackle, but not too sure.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Grackle/id

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
I'm nearly certain it's a Brewer's Blackbird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewer%27s_Blackbird

Oh yeah... those damned Grackles. Could be that too. I lean blackbird because the only the head is distinguished to be a different color, where with Grackles the whole body tends to be iridescent. I could be wrong though... I'm very intermediate when it comes to bird spotting.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 27, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
You can kind of see it on its back, a lot of that colour would depend on the light but hard to say for sure.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Dread Head posted:

You can kind of see it on its back, a lot of that colour would depend on the light but hard to say for sure.

Yeah...you're totally right. I'm not an expert, and now thing it's a Grackle more then the black bird :v:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Thanks guys. I think they are Grackles too, I seem to remember someone telling me that now.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Here's a few taken when I was in Palm Springs last week. All taken with the Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS.

I don't have a bird book handy, anyone know what this is?

Goldfinch!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

tiercel posted:

Goldfinch!

Wow, I'm a retard. It's the fricken state bird where I live. The angle really threw me off apparently, but now that I look again you're right.

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

"We in comparison to that enormous articulation; we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half finished sentences out of a stupid suburban novel."

Dread Head posted:

A juvenile Cooper's hawk.

Gorgeous photo!

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

HELLO

docrobert
Mar 28, 2010
Bird photography has always been an interest of mine but I've never had the gear to do anything serious. This is probably my favorite:

The last bird I took a photo of was this little guy who flew into my open dorm window a few weeks ago. Haven't been able to solidly identify him, other than that it's a warbler. We got him safely out the door after a few run in with our mirror, I'm sure he's fine though.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
There are many woodduck pictures like this woodduck picture, but this one is mine.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

When all you have is a wide angle

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:3:

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

The Antipop posted:

:3:

Haha, that first one is great. One leg up like that just seems hilarious.

The second one looks nice, but it looks like you focused on his butt and the eyes. Could just be me though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Well it's kind of embarrassing to be asking about this here, because you guys take pictures of really pretty birds, but I'm wondering how to set up a hide to take remote shots of pigeons.

See, they have a nest under my barbecue and switch shifts every day at 10am like clockwork, so it's really easy to just set up and shoot away as they come together, coo and nuzzle, and then switch places. But they won't do it when my camera is around! :argh:

Today one of them just sat on the railing, staring at my computer for like twenty minutes. I even put pizza crust on the deck to try to make her more comfortable but she didn't care!

Here's my setup:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Getting a gorillapod tomorrow.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

So I have my 40D connected to EOS Utility and a wireless mouse, and I hide around the corner where they can't see me because I make them nervous, then when I see them doing their thing I just press the shutter button like crazy and hope something good comes out. Usually the first shot is fine, then they hear the camera flap and get really suspicious and one leaves.

Here are a couple of sample shots.

(These are before any post, I don't know if I really like them yet)

I'd really like to get a shot of one of them looking at the eggs. At 50mm it'd be perfectly framed for what I have in mind. But I can't actually be behind the camera to take it so it's very frustrating.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

tuyop posted:

Well it's kind of embarrassing to be asking about this here, because you guys take pictures of really pretty birds, but I'm wondering how to set up a hide to take remote shots of pigeons.

Doesn't your 40D do remote live view? That will let you see what you're framing, and it will be quieter as well. Leave a pile of old clothes or towels out there for a few days to let the pigeons get used to it. Once they don't care about it any more, hide your camera inside it with a long cable (you can get cheap, albeit technically uncertified, USB extenders that work up to about 10 feet or so). Use remote live view on your laptop to wait for the proper moment and then shoot.

[e] instead of a pile of clothes, I bet that a cardboard box with a hole in it would work just as well, though the shutter sound would be louder.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
crossposting this from SAD because I've had this for ages and never did anything with it and now it actually turned out kind of nice I think

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

unleash the unicorn posted:

crossposting this from SAD because I've had this for ages and never did anything with it and now it actually turned out kind of nice I think

drat, that's awesome...looks like he's hitch-hiking.

The following picture is nothing great, other than it's the last photo I'll be taking with my Rebel XS now that I got a 7D. :)

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Is this a crow or what? It had a little better than a two foot wingspan.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Probably a raven then, look like a bigger crow.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Did you hear any calls? Crows go "caw, caw" as everyone knows, but ravens have a really distinctive kind of buzzing gravely "UrrrrUK urrrrUK" sound.

[e] here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAc2pv2iLRI

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Oh yeah, it was a raven then, thanks. I wish I had a shot of it when it was still in the tree. It was about 12 feet away and at about eye level because the tree is down a steep hill from where I was standing. It flew away as I raised my camera.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

This probably belongs more in the screw ups thread then here, but I thought I'd post the one bird photo I'll ever take where I'll wish I had a wide angle on more then a telephoto. There were probably 5,000+ Snow Geese in this flock that snuck up behind me while I was taking pictures of just as many on the ground. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite as amazing as this flock. The best part about it is I have never seen a Snow Goose in my life and stumbled upon 10,000 completely by accident an hour away from where I've lived my entire life.

edit: Ok, I did get some decent ones with the zoom:

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 10, 2010

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
^^^ That's amazing!

I found this guy chilling in the grass:

I was basically laying on the ground shooting into the sun. This had some crazy flair. I had to hold my hand over the end of the lens hood and block as much as I could just to get this:

Here are some birds, I don't know what they are:

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Good work cropping/framing these. To everyone: pictures that show where the bird is going/looking are sweet.

TomR posted:

Here are some birds, I don't know what they are:

Yay action shots! Love when the bird is actually doing something.

Those birds in the last picture appear to be Double-Crested Cormorants

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
I love this shot.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

She never actually got any food from the feeder. Just liked to perch on top.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Alright these are some of the shots I've taken of the pigeons nesting on my deck for the last few weeks.

This one has been cropped so many times. I should really go back to the original to get a good crop at a reasonable resolution.

Wow, Flickr. Lay off the sharpening, eh?

And... my favorite crop. I just sent this one in for this challenge.

Anyway, I didn't see a pic-per-post limit but let me know if I broke some rule. I'm just pretty pleased with some of these even though pigeons are kind of gross and commonplace. :)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

tuyop posted:

Alright these are some of the shots I've taken of the pigeons nesting on my deck for the last few weeks.
Anyway, I didn't see a pic-per-post limit but let me know if I broke some rule. I'm just pretty pleased with some of these even though pigeons are kind of gross and commonplace. :)
Your pictures are great. Pigeons are "gross and commonplace" to many people, sure, but how many people see a pair on a nest every day? Those are fantastic!

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Captive birds...kinda cheating...

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

First bird with my new 7D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Malalol posted:

Captive birds...kinda cheating...

Not cheating :D

I'm not sure if they are cropped to cut out a leash/food dish/etc, but consider getting the whole body of the bird instead of cutting off it's wing/foot/etc.

InternetJunky posted:

First bird with my new 7D

Great shot. Those fast little fuckers are always a pain in the rear end.