Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Well it's kind of embarrassing to be asking about this here, because you guys take pictures of really pretty birds, but I'm wondering how to set up a hide to take remote shots of pigeons.

See, they have a nest under my barbecue and switch shifts every day at 10am like clockwork, so it's really easy to just set up and shoot away as they come together, coo and nuzzle, and then switch places. But they won't do it when my camera is around! :argh:

Today one of them just sat on the railing, staring at my computer for like twenty minutes. I even put pizza crust on the deck to try to make her more comfortable but she didn't care!

Here's my setup:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Getting a gorillapod tomorrow.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

So I have my 40D connected to EOS Utility and a wireless mouse, and I hide around the corner where they can't see me because I make them nervous, then when I see them doing their thing I just press the shutter button like crazy and hope something good comes out. Usually the first shot is fine, then they hear the camera flap and get really suspicious and one leaves.

Here are a couple of sample shots.

(These are before any post, I don't know if I really like them yet)

I'd really like to get a shot of one of them looking at the eggs. At 50mm it'd be perfectly framed for what I have in mind. But I can't actually be behind the camera to take it so it's very frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Alright these are some of the shots I've taken of the pigeons nesting on my deck for the last few weeks.

This one has been cropped so many times. I should really go back to the original to get a good crop at a reasonable resolution.

Wow, Flickr. Lay off the sharpening, eh?

And... my favorite crop. I just sent this one in for this challenge.

Anyway, I didn't see a pic-per-post limit but let me know if I broke some rule. I'm just pretty pleased with some of these even though pigeons are kind of gross and commonplace. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

sensy v2.0 posted:

Wow I didn't notice it before but I think this is a great shot. I'd like to buy a print of it but I have nowhere to put one for awhile. :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TomR posted:

I spotted a bird I have never seen before:

He was doing this:

To protect his eggs:

Hi-Ya!

Wow! I love birds' cool nesting rituals.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TomR posted:

Here is a video of the killdeer doing it's broken wing trick:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_rintjema/4518942589/

Wow, I'd heard that DSLR video was shaky but that's pretty crazy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

the nicker posted:

What? Yes, it's shaky because it's a DSLR and not because it's handheld with a telephoto lens.

I don't know, his shots are sharp so I didn't think that was really the problem. I've never shot video with a DSLR or even touched one that could shoot video outside of a store, so I don't really know anything about it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Haha sorry, I don't mean that TomR is a crappy videoer or anything. I was just commenting on something interesting about shooting video with a DSLR. I don't know anything about it, though, so it must just be the weight and lens and stuff in this case.

\/\/ Yeah, that's the "lens" part. :)

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 15, 2010

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ Good job, man.

:3:

I think that ISO 800 was a bad choice, but I'm always terrified of blowing the focus during remote shooting so I didn't want to open the aperture past f/5.6.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 21, 2010

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I haven't checked on them for a couple of days so it's possible that I missed the hatching and that chick is like 1-3 days old. Thanks for the comments, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheCaptain posted:

A Birdy Love Story: In four parts

Hey, how do you get a group of photos on the same canvas like that? I don't even know what it's called so I've been having a hell of a time finding a guide on it.

Those shots are excellent, as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
How do you guys identify birds? Is there a program somewhere or is it just a matter of reading a lot about birds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I grew up learning birds, but it really is about practice- looking through a field guide of some sort, then getting out there and either shooting lots of pics or looking through binoculars. Hopefully hooking up with someone who knows the local birds who can help you ID things.

Still trying to get a good flying grouse shot. This one at least has a nice spread of the tail and wing feathers.

Great job on the action but I think it's a little bit underexposed.