Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I used to rent the 100-400L IS for nature trips (mostly birds) and that thing was awesome. May not have the pixel density of an X0D(or 1-series AF) but on a 5D2 you can jack the ISO way up and still get very nice results, which is something to consider. Very seldom had cause to use it on a tripod, unless I was taking video or using the 2x TC on it. Even with the TC I could handhold it at f/11 in a lot of cases (manual-focus only). The 70-200 f/2.8 with the TC sounds very close and more versatile than the 100-400 on paper, but I hated it the one time I tried it.

Boss ultimately decided to pick up the Sigma 100-400 OS, I didn't really like it. As much as I hate on push-pull it actually does seem to work better in a lens of that type, the AF is slower and noisy, etc. On the plus side I think it only set us back like $425 at KEH, whereas the Canon is more than twice as expensive.

Frinkahedron posted:

This owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

Australia?