Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I've been shooting birds for just over a year now. After trying all sorts of lenses, I found myself sticking with my 300mm f/4L, sometimes with a 1.4x teleconverter but usually not. I've found my shots are a lot better when I simply can get close to the bird, not that it's so easy do do.

Regarding cropping, with a more recent full frame camera (such as the 5D Mk2) you can crop down just as much as a crop body with no loss in quality. The newer sensors have larger pixels and give much brighter and less noisy results. At least that is my experience moving up from a 40D.

I've been trying to get a good shot of a Blue Grosbeak all summer (still trying)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Ingraman posted:

Where do you guys live where you can get all these great shots of pelicans/egrets/herons? The ones here in MA all seem to fly away at the slightest movement. This is as close as I got to a heron with a 500mm lens:

Nice shot even if he flew away from you.

With those larger birds it seems to a very localized phenomenon as to how they act around people. The Great Blue Herons around my house are very flighty, and I can never get close, but if I drive 40 miles south to a wildlife area, I can often get within 10 feet of one. The only time I see a Green Heron around here is when I catch it's backside fleeing the scene, but if I visit my parents in Pensacola, FL, they will fish from the docks mere feet from people. Pelicans are the same way, they are like pigeons as far as dealing with people down there. :iiam:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I borrowed a 100-400 L lens for a trip to a cloud forest in Mexico.

It was OK but I should have just taken my 300mm f/4L as it seems much sharper and I can drop the ISO down into less noisy territory.