Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
Took some shots of birds in the park. Unfortunately, nothing too interesting since the weather isn't great yet.

Tongsy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Dread Head posted:

Really like this shot.

There's a nice looking pair of Cardinals at my girlfriends house. I tried getting them with my 70-200 on Friday, but I couldn't get close enough.

Looks like a 400mm f5.6 is in order for me... or maybe a 300mm f4IS and an extender

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Wooten posted:

I've been giving serious thought to the canon 400mm 5.6. Does the AF not work on the center point with the 1.4x? Any other complaints?

My understanding is that the AF won't work at all on any non-1d/1ds body body with an extender, and on a 1d/1ds it will work ONLY on the center point.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

diarrhea for girls posted:

---
I picked up a Sigma 50-500 "Bigma" (the older one, not the new one with OS) last week and the weather is finally cooperating enough to let me bust it out on the birds. Here's a female Northern Cardinal that has been eluding me forever because she's very skittish. I got really lucky on this one being in focus before she took off. I have no idea what she was eating to get the green in her feathers, some gushy bug I imagine.

drat, I wish I could get 1/10th as close as that to either of the Cardinals near my place. They always bugger off when I'm 100 feet away

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

toppro posted:

Pelican (I think) Great blue heron at the coast this weekend.

InternetJunky posted:

Went salmon fishing in BC and taking pictures of the wild eagles turned out to be the highlight of the trip for me:

Both of these shots are AWESOME.
Nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Holistic Detective posted:

:3:

i don't think there's any way that photo can improve.