Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
I've been messing around with wildlife photography over the last while, which around here ends up being bird photography because there isn't much else to see. Gear needs some improving, using a 70-210mm F4 minolta "beercan" and a 400mm F5.6 Sigma that you have to manual everything because the chip isn't compatible with my Sony alpha.

Some good pointers in this thread, I'm just getting into shooting from my sea kayak so I'll try to share some info on that once I get a bit more experience.

Here are a couple bird shots from this winter/spring:

whaam fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
^ as far as I know yeah. They are extremely common here, almost more of them around than seagulls, pretty bird though. We get an absolute ton of small birds in our backyard, especially goldfinches. Going to pickup some seed tomorrow I think and try to shoot them.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Share your shots and how you got 'em when you do. :)

We don't get many Cormorants here, but tons of Anhingas. This one's a female...

Wow that is the most human looking bird I have ever seen.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Herons are wonderful, aren't they?

Sorry for semi-abandoning the thread after starting it; the past week or so has been extremely hectic and I can just now sit down and relax a bit. I am working on further information but it's been slow going. Feel free to post some advice, questions, anything that comes to mind -- we're all learning and sharing!

Yeah I was hoping to have lots to contribute this week but the weather has been terrible here. Looks like sun for the tail end of the weekend and I'm planning a full day out on the water looking for wildlife. I geared up an old tripod for use in the kayak and added a large strap so I can anchor the whole assembly between my back and the seat while shooting. Won't save my gear if I tip but at least will save it from falling in. Will take some shots of the rig before I go out and post them.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

diarrhea for girls posted:

Just a couple backyard birds here:

This is really fantastic.

Excuse the noise. Went out today and it was really foggy and I kept missing focus with my 400mm (manual only), so pretty much everything came back lovely. The new tripod rig worked well though.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

diarrhea for girls posted:

There's an Owl chilling at the top of the largest tree. I was just going for the cloudless sky and didn't even see it until I was processing the shots on the computer a little while later. I've been watching for it ever since and I can hear it at night/morning but I'm not having any luck finding out where it's hiding.

Very nice, what is up with the foreground light? Looks like a streetlight?

Have been out on the water a lot this week and am missing focus like crazy, it is really starting to drive me nuts but my 210mm isn't nearly long enough so I'm stuck with this hit-or-miss 400. Had to trash a ton of (what I thought would be good) osprey and hawk shots because they were just out of focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Holistic Detective posted:

Been working through some photos of Terns I took on holiday a couple of weeks back:

Those tern shots are fantastic. Those little guys are so fast I'm impressed you caught such great action.