Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Mannequin posted:

But second, they were very fast, zipping all over the place, eating mosquitos. They were beautiful birds and I was really sad I couldn't photograph them better. I also found that the 70-200mm limited me in how close I could get to them when they were resting. They would fly away if I got less than 10-15 feet.

What is the secret here?

Would you just have to position yourself at a distance and track them very carefully/patiently?

Barn swallows (I think)! Those are, as you noticed, insectivores, so they'll ignore feeders. Worse, because they're chasing insects, they tend to zig-zag a lot. Alas, I have no advice other than patience patience patience. Also, if you could find a nest you'd probably be able to get some good shots, but that probably falls under "duh." The ones you have are pretty impressive as they are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Dread Head posted:

Giving my new lens a try.

This is a fabulous behavioral shot.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008
The June 2009 issue of Wildlife in North Carolina has an article by Jared Lloyd on shooting flying birds. Most of it's already been covered or is probably obvious to the folks in this forum, but I thought I'd excerpt a few bits.

Jared Lloyd posted:

When given a choice, birds face the wind... Like with the sun, it is a good idea to keep the wind at your back when photographing birds. This way, the birds will be facing you as they take off or land...

... go ahead and select the center focusing point and lock it into position... Long before the bird gets into position, life up your lens, train the center focus point on the head and neck of the bird and bump the autofocus. As the bird is coming in, continue to just bump the autofocus every couple of seconds until the bird is in place where you want to photograph it.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

wankle posted:

Wood River, Dillingham Alaska, Canon 20D / 100-400L

YOU ARE ALL WEIRDOS.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

fenner posted:

Chased this fella around for atleast an hour. Anyone know what bird this actually is?

Ooh, a challenge... don't know Australian birds myself, but I found him! He's a Red-whiskered Bulbul: http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/bird/33.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

Would appreciate an ID on any of these:

Pale-winged trumpeter.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Some kind of curassow, maybe wattled?

The only reason I could even take a guess was that related birds appear in Andrew Zuckerman's book Bird, which I just got for my birthday. Alas, I have no clue about your other bird.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Bob Socko posted:

I have no idea what these things are, but they had a wingspan of 4-5 feet and aren't afraid of humans, so I call them Death Gulls.

They look like some species of frigate bird.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Here's a few taken when I was in Palm Springs last week. All taken with the Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS.

I don't have a bird book handy, anyone know what this is?

Goldfinch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

I really dislike fill flash and have stopped using it. There is just something artificial about the lighting that rubs me wrong, plus it's really easy to screw up.

Although once in a while it works out ok:

With fill:

Without fill:

What bird is that?