Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I did get the Pro version of the Kenko 1.4. For whatever reason the lens is not physically compatible with the Canon tc's.

I REALLY like the 70-300L, although this is my only L glass so I don't have much to compare it to. I got it bundled with the 60D this spring when I had a convenient buyer for my T2i + 70-300 IS nonL. It is worlds better than the non-L: super sharp, fast AF and pretty quiet. It is light and easy to hand-hold, also relatively small. Basically a nice walk-around zoom with a bit more reach than the 70-200's and a bit smaller and sharper than the 100-400 (from what I've read). To be honest I might have gotten the 100-400 but they were not included in the deals I was looking at.

My main criticisms are that it doesn't come with a tripod mount (and I haven't been able to find one), and, obviously, it is a relatively slow lens. That and the incompatibility with Canon TC's to give it more reach probably rule it out as a moneymaking lens for someone who needs to earn a living with wildlife photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wish I had a woodpecker nest in my yard :)

This is from my first evening of testing (finally had time to download).

Not a great photo, but given that it was at ISO 1600, hand-held at 1/30sec and who knows what the AF actually grabbed (and cropped), I'm not too unhappy with it.

I also shot some (non-bird) tests today to compare the 70-300L with and without the TC. I can't rule-out that this is something unrelated to the TC and just due to metering a slightly different scene, but it seems like my camera overcompensates for the loss of light, and slightly overexposes when the TC is on compared to the lens only.

Not bird pics, but this is one of the tests- a flower on the right side of the frame with AF using the right focus point on my 60D. I then cropped them to be roughly equivalent.

With the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC (200ISO f8 1/640sec 420mm)
uncropped

cropped

No TC just 70-300L (100ISO f5.6 1/1250sec 300mm)
uncropped

cropped

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Parus major = Great Tit (related to chickadees and titmice in North America)

Ficedula hypoleuca = Pied Flycatcher

Great Tits are one of the model species of field behavioral ecology, so it's really hard not to snigger when you have to teach students about them...

The photo is great- you could probably post that in the Critterquest thread and someone could ID the butterfly for you.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Bird ID? And 200mm is definitely too short. Gonna take my 2x teleconverter next time, and accept the loss of sharpness.

What kind of bird by torgeaux, on Flickr

Smooth-billed Ani- very cool birds. They are in the cuckoo family, but are super social. Multiple pairs share a nest.

edit- possibly groove-billed.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Was it taken in the U.S.? That might help.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
wikipedia says only smooth-billed in Cuba, but i'm not sure I'd take wikipedia as the last word in bird distributions

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CarrotFlowers posted:

IMG_0764 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0767 by bernsai, on Flickr

I saw some birds! I have no idea what any birds are. I tried to do some searching, but I didn't see anything helpful, or I'm retarded. I imagine these are fairly common. If anyone has any idea, I'm pretty curious now after all this looking. They're in southern Alberta if that helps.

Look like female Red-winged Blackbirds. Nice pics!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Spent all week having the wrong lens on my camera when birds were within range, but finally found an Anna's Hummingbird that kept eating while I switched.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

This bird is the coolest bird. Don't have a clue what it is but it let me get to around 4 feet from him no problem as he sat on the beach like this. I probably could have gotten close but didn't want to scare him away.

Some kind of Cormorant/Shag, but it's definitely not North American so I don't have a clue.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

Kayaking + photography is such a great combo for bird photography. If you sneak in without much movement the birds tolerate much closer human presence than normal. This is not a crop:

Holy crap that's awesome. Can you see your reflection in the loon's eye?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Birdie by hookshot88, on Flickr

This is fantastic. I love how the detail in the railing mirrors the pattern of feather tips on the starling. I keep blocking out the left edge of the picture- not sure if I would like this better as a square crop or not, to get rid of the dark archway in the top left corner.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of torn- my eye moves really strongly in a triangle from the bird's face, left to the archway, down to the birds feet along the railing, and back up the face. Really dynamic, but at the same time, I don't spend enough time on the bird, and too much time on the background which maybe shouldn't be competing as much.

Here's my attempt to salvage a bad pic of a little bird on a gloomy day through a dirty window...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some backyard birds on a mostly dreary weekend...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Many lists are run by local Audubon societies, so that is one place to look. You can also try looking around birdingonthe.net for list archives or rare bird alerts.

One more place is eBird- a citizen science site. Here's a map of recent sightings. It doesn't look as complete as the links in BoE's post.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Crossposting from SAD

Ducks by hookshot88, on Flickr

Nice background color on this wigeon shot.

quote:

Ducks by hookshot88, on Flickr

I'd imagine it is tough to take a bad photo of alert hooded mergs, but this is really nice. I never paid much attention to the white streaks on the back, but they really come out with the pattern in the water.

quote:

Duck by hookshot88, on Flickr
Love the drop coming off the bill!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

Winter has put a damper on any chance I have of capturing much more than backyard birds so I've gone through and tried to salvage some old shots.

goddamn....

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trambopaline posted:

Pheasants by trambopaline, on Flickr

Pheasants in a metropolitan city running about wild? Only in New Zealand.

No weirder than this (nice pic by the way- pheasants are pretty gorgeous birds).

Spent all weekend birding for some Audubon Christmas Bird Counts. Hauled my camera around but didn't get much chance to get any photos, and of those, not many good photos. These were some of the better ones...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Either that or "Welcome to Crop-land"

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

scottch posted:

Other times they are so very co-operative. This guy was more concerned about the crows stealing his breakfast, so let me get real drat close. Of course, the crows being assholes is what allowed me to sneak in tight...

I believe it's a rough-legged hawk, but not 100% sure. He's taken out what looks like two starlings in two days, so hoping he sticks around a bit to get some more photos. Happy with this one though.

backyard hawk by scottch, on Flickr

Wow, that's a really nice shot.

It's not a rough-legged. Definitely a juvenile accipiter, either Sharp-shinned or Coopers. I'm fairly certain it is sharp-shinned, although those two are notoriously hard to tell apart.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just looked at your exif- 200mm! That's pretty amazing to get so close.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm going to guess either a female Northern Gosshawk or female Coopers Hawk. Another possibility would be a Sharp-Shinned hawk, but they're only about the a little bigger than a robin so a starling would be pretty big prey for them. I wish they would all kill starlings with no mercy.

e: Wow, beaten a little bit. My point about the size of the Sharp Shinned still stands though. I saw one over the summer pretty close and couldn't believe how small they are. Apparently the tell tale sign that it's a coopers is the the end of their tale feathers are white, but it's hard to tell in that photo due to the snow.

There is a bit of overlap between small (male) Coops and big (female) Sharpies. I was going by the fairly prominent eyebrow, and the fact the eye looks kind of big (meaning head is kind of small in proportion). I heard about a study out of Golden Gate Raptor Observatory where they caught and banded hawks, then released them with some expert birders nearby to see how they did- they were only about 80% right. And I'm far from an expert.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saw a jay be an rear end in a top hat this weekend- I was at a monarch butterfly wintering refuge and a stellar's jay flew at a branch with a couple hundred butterflies and scared them all. I think it might have grabbed one, but I thought they were supposed to be poisonous so it may have been an rear end in a top hat just for fun.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yes, please send some down to California!

Do you normally get hummingbirds wintering up there?

And how many pounds of seed are your evening grosbeaks going through each day?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a juvie? I'm jealous you got to see one so close. One of my favorite birds because my parents had an awesome Charlie Harper print of a bunch of skimmers.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dread Head posted:

Solved, I have made a new wildlife thread. If anyone feels like it needs a proper OP maybe we can put something together. I feel like it is pretty much the same as the one in this thread.

Wildlife Photography: Zooming with your feet may get you mauled

Great- thanks for doing this. I'm happy to have both threads, and will probably cross-post if I have something that fits both the birds (maybe also cross-posting in the macro thread if it is a bug shot).

One thing you might add to the OP is to look for the GBS Critterquest threads if you have a crappy pic and just want help identifying the animal in question. But maybe that is already a given for Dorkroom threads.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My guess on your mystery bird is Black Phoebe. Nice photos (I especially like the ducks).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

Word. Look at This bunch.. For a nondescript brown sparrow.

I was going to post something along those lines... If those were REAL birders they would have their back to the bald eagle and be scanning the flock of cedar waxwings behind you for one vagrant Bohemian. Or breaking into a sewage treatment plant to look through 8 billion gulls for one rare one.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
without seeing the original and knowing exactly what you did, I kind of feel like I'd rather have some blown out area and a reasonably white bird than turning down the exposure so much that it begins to look dirty. Somehow what must have been warm low-angle light isn't coming across as warm. Maybe it's a white-balance issue? I suck at post processing so I can't give you any more feedback than that.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bob Socko posted:

It's a good shot. Yeah, it's a bit soft, but my eye is drawn to the wing first, and the clearly-defined feathers help counterbalance any softness around the head. I usually don't photograph gulls because they're so common, therefore I assume everyone will think they're boring. You're getting around that by photographing them doing neat things, and I like it.

This is literally the best hummingbird photo I've ever seen, well done. Do you use any additional light for shots like these, or is it all natural lighting?

Let's contrast this beautiful shot of a hummingbird with, say . . . a wild turkey.

DSC03951 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Why the hell are there wild turkeys on a Hawaiian island? I mean, I get that they were imported. Who looks at Hawaii, says "this place could really use some turkeys", and goes out of their way to introduce a flock or two?

DSC03947 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Almost everything in Hawaii was brought from somewhere else. At least everything close to sea level. Great turkey pics though! There were actually turkeys in Hawaii before they were (re)introduced to California.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was a nice PBS program. Did you film any of the Anna's Hummingbird courtship footage? I know the folks who did that research.

Ducks are cool- that should be fun.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure that last one isn't a Northern Cardinal?

Great pics though- I love the doves!

Hopefully I have more to contribute soon. Just arrived in Wyoming for a couple of months of field work. All I have is a thumbnail sized redpoll so far though.

Common Redpoll

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dang I wish we'd get some snowy owls! I'm in Wyoming for the next couple of months, it's plenty cold, a little bit snowy, but no freakin' owls.

Get ready for another 2 months of grouse pics. Hopefully will get more photos of other wildlife this year.

IMG_1578 - Version 2, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really like the color in the vulture- nice shot! ^^^^

Also nice ones from the zoo. I have a book that has an almost identical shot to the flamingo.

It has begun... Happy to get some snow to cover up the cow pies... I promise I'll try not to post a million of these.

IMG_2175 - Version 2, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not much else out here right now, so have some more sage-grouse

One female in flight

female_in_flight_full_size on Flickr

Lots of females (we are in the peak of breeding right now)

IMG_3333 - Version 2 on Flickr

A couple of yearling males came over to my blind to practice displaying where they wouldn't get harrassed by the big boys.

IMG_5924 on Flickr

IMG_5925 on Flickr

A couple that might be more critter-questy: an eagle leaving the lek before sunrise, and a prairie falcon having some fun.

sunrise eagle on Flickr

Prairie_Falcon_pestering_50 on Flickr

On a side note- anyone here use the Flickr uploader in Aperture? I have the worst time with it half the time uploading the original version instead of the crop/processed one.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does this count?

IMG_6519 on Flickr

also a meadowlark, flippin' some poo poo then singing a song about it.

weme_at_cot 2 on Flickr

weme_at_cot 1 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you took those pics in North America, those are probably Great-tailed Grackles, and not crows. Not sure if any european/asian crows have that irridescence and yellow eyes.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Magnus Condomus posted:

I am bad at birds. Yeah, Austin, TX. On top of Whole Foods.

Yeah, great-tailed grackles are pretty common in Texas. Pointier bill, a bit sleeker body than a crow would be, longer tail than a crow, and a little more iridescent. That head-up posture is also pretty typical for grackles (and some other birds in the family). I've never been to Austin, but at least in some of the towns along the Rio Grande, these guys roost together in huge colonies and make the biggest racket. Sounds like you're standing underneath the world's largest Chucky-Cheese.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Horned larks still one of the few birds out here.

Horned_Lark 005 on Flickr

weird singing posture

Horned_Lark 004 on Flickr

ACTIVATE SUPER FLUFFY

Horned_Lark 003 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
More WEME and HOLA

wyo_birds 033 on Flickr

wyo_birds 032 on Flickr