Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Geektechboy posted:

A Robin.

This one I may have over sharpened, but I can't decide so any suggestions would be helpful.

It looks maybe just a tiny bit oversharp, but your version is probably fine -- Flickr runs some fairly serious sharpening on everything you upload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

tuyop posted:

Well it's kind of embarrassing to be asking about this here, because you guys take pictures of really pretty birds, but I'm wondering how to set up a hide to take remote shots of pigeons.

Doesn't your 40D do remote live view? That will let you see what you're framing, and it will be quieter as well. Leave a pile of old clothes or towels out there for a few days to let the pigeons get used to it. Once they don't care about it any more, hide your camera inside it with a long cable (you can get cheap, albeit technically uncertified, USB extenders that work up to about 10 feet or so). Use remote live view on your laptop to wait for the proper moment and then shoot.

[e] instead of a pile of clothes, I bet that a cardboard box with a hole in it would work just as well, though the shutter sound would be louder.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Did you hear any calls? Crows go "caw, caw" as everyone knows, but ravens have a really distinctive kind of buzzing gravely "UrrrrUK urrrrUK" sound.

[e] here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAc2pv2iLRI

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

InternetJunky posted:

Here's a shot of a killdeer from last year:

It was actually in the middle of someone's driveway. They parked their car at the start of the driveway all summer to protect it. :)

Eggs are so hidden too

I once saw three baby killdeer running around in the street, lost. They're tiny little things, about two inches long, and so soft...I managed to grab two but an 18-wheeler ran over the third before I could get it. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen.

I got the other two over to the forest where there was a killdeer doing its thing and responding to the little peeps from the babies, though. I hope they made it.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

tuyop posted:

Haha sorry, I don't mean that TomR is a crappy videoer or anything. I was just commenting on something interesting about shooting video with a DSLR. I don't know anything about it, though, so it must just be the weight and lens and stuff in this case.

Not even the weight as much as the magnification. Small motions over a distance get magnified. Have you ever played with a laser pointer? You know how easy it is to hold it on a single spot when it's up close, but when you try and point it across the street, it wobbles all over the place? Same principle here, except instead of the laser pointer dot, you have the center of the frame.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
That entire bird came out of an egg that size? Wow. It must have really been packed in there.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

tuyop posted:

Hey, how do you get a group of photos on the same canvas like that? I don't even know what it's called so I've been having a hell of a time finding a guide on it.

Those shots are excellent, as well.

Traditionally, that would have been called a "contact sheet", because you laid the negatives in contact with the photo paper and exposed the whole thing at once. You can do it really fast in Photoshop, or even set up an action if you like.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Holistic Detective posted:

Decided to have a go at shooting a Peregrine Falcon nest today. I wait 40 minutes for the little bastard to do something and this was the best I could get:

Half of my time seemed to be spent going "There, it's moving at last, get ready" *poops* :saddowns: I am not very good at bird photography.

Eh, you may still get some interesting action shots from that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

InternetJunky posted:

A few more eagle shots from last week. I could use some tips for post-processing on these...I first do some NR on the background only by first removing the bird via photoshop's Filter->Extract feature (which takes ages to properly outline the bird), but then if I want to do separate processing on the bird I have to go back in and reselect the bird all over again. I'm sure there must be an easier way to do this given that I already have a layer with everything but the bird.

(Wish I could figure out how to clean this one up a bit)

From a while back, but Lightroom 3 does a miraculous job with NR. This is 30 seconds of futzing with the sliders, no masking or whatnot involved. It would be even more effective on a full-resolution version.

[e] and don't use extract. draw the selection between foreground and background, duplicate the base layer, and with the selection active, create a layer mask for the top layer. Then just apply background stuff to the bottom layer and bird stuff to the top one. Done.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 20, 2010