Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I shot some birds today.

Since it is getting to be Septembery here, the sandhill cranes are forming up flocks for the migration south. These fields at the local UAF experimental ram attract vast flockes twice a year, one time coming up and the nest time heading out. These guys are heading out.

All pictures taken with a Sony A200 and various lenses

A juvenile flanked by a pair of adults. It's amazing how fast birds grow. That bird in the middle was an egg back in May and now it's 4 feet tall or so. I used a Tamron Adaptall 60-300 SP lens, with a Minolta AF adapter. Too bad I focused more on the bushes than the birds.

It is pretty chaotic among the cranes. They sort of mill around, squabble, preen and strut. This was taken with the 60-300 and a 2x teleconverter, which on a A200 equals a 960mm lens, figuring in the crop factor.

This one was taken using a Vivitar TX 300mm lens, and the 2X TC. I used a M42 TX mount and a M42 to AF adapter, one from ebay with the focus confirmation chip. The problem I have with the ebay adapter is that there is no provision to push the arperture pin so it shoots wide open-I had to modify the TX mount to stop down manually. I shot most of these at f8 or f11, ISO 400, shutter 250 to 125.

This was taken using a Tamron adapt-a-matic lens, 200-500mm zoom and the 2x TC. It's not quite as sharp as I'd like but it sure gets out there and brings the critters in close. I originally got this lens with a Minolta MD mount, ended up buying another adapt-a-matic lens for the M42 mount so I could use the M42 to AF adapter

Same setup as above. It's a big heavy rig that overwhelms my tripod, which may contribute to the lack of super sharpness. No pixel peeping please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I shot ducks today, the dumb ones who haven't got a clue about flying south for the winter.

Sony A200, Tamron adapt-a-matic 200-500mm zoom using a M42 to Minolta AF adapter. The older Tamron lenses are not up to the modern standard but it was cheap and it's an impressive lens to mount up on a camera, or maybe I should say, to mount a camera on.