Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Just a fluffy little sparrow hiding in a tree. :3:

(You'll have to forgive the ISO noise as it was late in the day and I was poking my lens into a tree)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Eurasian Pendulous Penduline Tit

Edit: Wrong, the tit was me.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 30, 2023

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

That looks like a shrike to me, the bill is very shrike like, where was this taken?

Ooh, interesting, I got the name from a local bird guide based on the markings so I could very well be wrong. (Blinded by the promise of tit jokes)

This is southern Japan. I was shooting some river birds when I spied this weirdo watching me.

Edit: Same bird, different shot. Almost definitely a shrike, now that you mention it, which do live around here apparently wasn't in the guide I was looking at for some reason. Thanks!

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 30, 2023

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cropped to hell because the moment I tried to get closer he assumed I wanted to eat him, but here's a little Black-Backed(?) Wagtail out on the lawn of a fancy apartment block. I've checked this place a few times recently and it there's usually a couple of these or some Starlings out looking for worms in the grass.

(It's almost definitely a 'haku-sekirei' as it's know here but the specifics are apparently a little difficult to pin down https://kantorilode.weebly.com/white-and-black-backed-wagtails.html)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Herons are real neat, there's a nice park near my house where you can sometimes find them hanging out on the pond banks and they're so used to the humans in the area you can get pretty close before they start giving you the side-eye.

Bonus: Fluffy Egret butt from the same park. :3:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 26, 2023

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'm about ready to push the button on a bazooka but I'm paralyzed by choice. I'm upgrading from the EF-S 55-250mm (~effective~ 400 on my 80D) and in my reasonable price range I'm looking at something like the Sigma 100-400mm or perhaps the EF 300mm F4L with the assumption that it'll be sharp enough to crop down. The OG 100-400mm L is just out of my price range (though I may be able to manage it if auction jesus smiles upon me) but I'm not sure if it'll really give me much more than 3rd party equivalents except white paint prestige.

What would you go with birb goons?

Please accept this kitey boi as payment.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Getting something that’s better but basically the same focal length is ok I guess and you could save up for a good tc but I suspect you’ll be happier with a good sigma or the canon 100-400 (or the 400/5.6? ) Have you looked at used Tamron/sigma 150-600’s? Just make sure you can return if it’s not a great copy.
Fair enough, I think you're probably right. I did look at the 150-600s and while the extra range is tempting I think they may just be a big too heavy for how I like to shoot.

I've ordered a used copy of the Sigma 100-400mm Contemporary which I'm pretty excited about for the price.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sigma 100-400mm got here today and I'm super pleased with it.

Took it for a little walk around the block and found this crow (raven?) trash talking a kite from a safe distance.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

nitsuga posted:

Nice shot! I think that is a raven, with its curved bill and all: https://www.audubon.org/news/how-tell-raven-crow

Ah, cool. That makes things a little easier. Here in Japan they're both interchangeably called 'karasu'.

Finally managed to get down the river to test out my new lens proper and managed to stave off heat stroke long enough to get some nice shots, and some weird ones...

Just a big Grey Heron having a casual vom. (Spoilered for gross factor)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sharing is caring. :3:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Jadeilyn posted:

Rhinoceros Hornbill by Elanna, on Flickr

This hornbill was very involved with taking a bath in the mister.

Very jealous of this birb's mister with the weather we've been having.

The little duckies are out though, so that's adorable.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Found this guy today, I think he's a Blue Rock Thrush but I could be mistaken.

Really fantastic colouring and luckily he wasn't particularly skittish so I could get pretty close before he noped out.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Immature black-tailed gull just barely scratching the glass :swoon:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Saw this guy today and thought of you, thread.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I found a beautifully vibrant crow just hanging down at the beach.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The ducks are back from their summer vacation!

I also found this guy acting like he was the king of town. (He is in my heart)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Those are some pretty gosh darn amazing shots :swoon:

I'm finally just about getting a handle on things after recently switching to mirrorless, and managed to get this beautiful Black Kite today.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My first time seeing one of these little dudes, though considering their excellent camouflage I'm not all too surprised I've never noticed them before.

Common 360noscope Snipe?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'm trying out a week of free Lightroom (or paying for a month, it's memory roulette!) and I tried putting this Daurian Redstart through the auto-adjust and denoiser. Not quite sure how I feel about it yet, the auto seems fairly competent at judging the mood but it does seem to favor an Instagram style color pop.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Look busy! Here comes the Japanese Wagtail!

In Japanese folklore, Izanami and Izanagi learned how to copulate by observing the rhythmic wagging of the Wagtail's tail, so he's a pretty important little dude all things considered.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

A little Redstart stopped to pose for me today :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Spring is in the air :pervert: