Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Just starting out with Photography but I have this one cool breakfast birb

Breakfast by Slotducks, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Dunno if this is warranted but I started doing this to my bird shots and the results have my shots pop way more than I would just in Lightroom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Xd_NtoTTA

Content:
White-breasted Nuthatch:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Gnabbed this nice Tree Swallow last week:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

This Heron gave me a lesson in how to fish - about 25ft away from me; caught about 6 fish with ease.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I can't stop laughing at how weird juvenile Red Wing Blackbirds are

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

torgeaux posted:

Goddammit! Love them all, but the last couple were fantastic. gently caress you, man.

ditto. I literally sighed dejected after seeing those - drat how awesome.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Not a sick predator bird or nothing - but here's a cool heron with a twisted neck that makes it look like it's wearing a neat scarf

I mostly shoot with my Tamrom 150-600mm but with the Aperature as big as it can get (although above was f 9.5)... Should I join the f8 crew I've read about here with a d5600 sensor??

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 10, 2021

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah we all would rather shoot that lens wide open but it's not good enough, you have to stop it down to f/8 to get it sort-of sharp. It doesn't matter too much what your sensor is because this is all happening in front of it.

Oh man - that's good insight. Thank you!

I'll go shoot some birds probably this weekend and maybe it'll turn out even better!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Thank you all for the feedback re: the Tamron 150-600 - I shot this morning in f8 and I'm so stoked with how some of these photos turned out.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Incredible

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Some Heron content:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

This is a solid page of birds! I haven't gone shooting in a couple weeks now, maybe this weekend I'll see what's going on.

I finally got around to editing some of the Osprey shots - I'm really really digging this one

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I figure it's like at a wedding

"...I should've ordered the steak."

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

toggle posted:

But anyways, here's 2 inbred sacks of poo poo:

How? HOW?

This looks incredible - the lighting, the contrast, the clarity of subject - how!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

drat, I'm jealous of how close you guys get to these birds - this is with a 600mm on a crop sensor.
As mentioned above - the last one is really great vibes

Here's my best Cooper's

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Went and got after it this morning - It's apparently Egret season up here.

That and I got to see a bunch of new birds too - Winter Wren, White Capped Sparrow, White-Throated Sparrow.
I'll have more photos to post soon enough!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Back Button focus is the first step imo - it allows you to lock a focus in on one thing and then recompose the frame accordingly.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Jerm324 posted:

I don't know why, but I could never get used to back button focus and switched back to shutter button focus. But AI servo is the way to go. On my R5 I use one of the back buttons to switch focus zones between center area zone and full frame animal eye detection.

Anyway, there is a Northern Harrier that has reliably taken up residence at a local park every fall and winter for the last few years and she's back again for this fall. She put on quite a show and decided to land 30 feet away from me for a nice portrait.

gently caress. These are good.

God drat this thread is dangerous for envy and comparison.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Jerm324 posted:

I didn't mean to discourage anyone though...

Oh the envy and discouragement (if it even is that) is all 100% self driven and not a byproduct of your amazing work.

It's inspirational and I (and I assume others) use it to aspire to be better!

For content:
Here's a ruby-crowned kinglet

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 15, 2021

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Last 3 posts on this page are sick - inspiring!

Here's a really poofed up White-Throated Sparrow hahaha.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Stop you guys I can't handle this amount of cute in one morning

edit: for content I'll post a photo of their 3rd or 4th cousin from North America the Killdear:

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 25, 2021

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Caught a cool candid moment at a popular birding area round me:
Just palin' around with a Trumpeter Swan

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

There is a staggering amount of "do not feed the birds you guys are doing more harm than good" signs along the trail and people still be dropping all sorts of seeds and nuts throughout. Maybe this crime fighting duo will get to the bottom of it!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

drat I want those guys to come where I live

We only get Blue Jays here. Not even Canadian Jays come down. This sucks >:(

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Absolutely loving the muted colours in those photos

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I spent about 3 hours hunting this little guy down here - it's a vagrant Tufted Titmouse - pretty rare to have hang around in some Toronto Suburb.

It's funny - everyone that came around was specifically looking for it, it was really cool being able to see a bit of a community aspect as we all looked for the bird.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I got to take photos of this littler guy while (what I assume) its' two parents were in trees makin' sure everything was okay

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I too also got a Red-tailed Hawk yesterday!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

That angle is wild, was he down low or were you up high?
First it started up in this tree - maybe like, 20 ft high?

Then it moved into some shrubbery near by and I kind of tracked it down and it was near on eye level

Then the photo I originally posted where it's maybe like, 5 ft above my eye level?

It was pretty cool to track down the soaring hawk into these different spots

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Jerm324 posted:

Pretty sure this is a Yellow Rumped Warbler

Fascinating that this is also a Yellow Rumped Warbler - The book I'm reading right now (Kingbird Highway) talks about how in the early 70s, the Myrtle, Audubon's, Mexican black-fronted, and Goldman's merged into the same form

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Oh I didn't mean it passive aggressively! I meant that they're both Yellow Rumped and that's neat!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Can I get in on the hot sparrow action?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'm always in awe when someone takes *very* good photos of very common birds like Mallards and Swans.
Kudos! Great shots!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

If you want to cast a wider net and ask at https://old.reddit.com/r/whatsthisbird/

My first guess is a weird version of a European Starling but it's probably not that.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I love birds in snow. Can blow out the gross blue snow and make it look like you've been chilling in a studio all day.

Dark-eyed Junco

Northern Cardinal

House Sparrow

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Got my first Juvenile Bald Eagle the other day - not the greatest lighting though.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Real paparazzi-catching-celebrity-with-food-in-their-mouth energy in that right there haha I love it

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bumping with buffleheads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Finally gnabbed a good D500 used over the weekend - Went out for a little bit yesterday to gnab a rarity around these parts (Willet) but I was pretty happy with how these surfing shots of this Blue-winged Teal came out