Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The Duality of the Tree Swallow

Kind, demure, fashionable

Turned Gladiator

Crummy light this morning so the ISO is pumped pretty high, I should head back there during sunnier weather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

rootdown posted:

These are awesome.

Thank you!
I put more time into one of the shots I got and turned this out:

Used the holy trinity for this, Lightroom, Denoise, AND Photoshop

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Sorbus posted:

Carrying a sony 200-600mm around seems to gently caress up my neck even though I have a wide peak slide strap :butt:

Do you have the strap on the camera body or the tripod shoe?

Atlatl posted:

it's a great shot though so who cares, though I would probably give you poo poo if you like photoshopped out the fence or whatever because it's manmade

Ah that's the Nest Box that they hang out in - no fences photoshopped out. Photoshop was only for highpass sharpening on the faces/heads of each guy

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Golden-crowned Kinglets are back!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Finally * got a decent Brown Creeper Shot

* I say finally, but I've been doing this for less than a year :/

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

gently caress I want to get clear mobbing shots this year - it's so cool.

Fresh from last night - Finally got a perched Turkey Vulture

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

vessbot posted:

Posting the n'th praise for this, and well deserved! Can I ask the shutter speed?

Whoa! Thanks for the praise!

Here's the full details on the image

Camera: Nikon D500
Lens: Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 G1
1/4000 F/8.0 460mm ISO 2000
Edited with: Topaz Denoise, Lightroom, Photoshop

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Those Tree Swallow shots above are stupendously good.
I went out this morning to get some more Tree Swallow photos and they were less than thrilled with how close I got so not the best Swallow shots but here's some other bonus stuff:

Tree Swallow

Baltimore Oriole

Swainson's Thrush

Eastern Kingbird

And this Great Blue Heron from earlier this week

Also, fun reminder that tomorrow is the Global Big Day. https://ebird.org/news/global-big-day-2022
Get out there and fill out some checklists!

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 13, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Finally got around to editing these sets of photos of about 80+ Northern Rough-winged Swallows absolutely demolishing every midge in sight off the coast of Lake Ontario.
The lighting was absolute dogshit, so in reality this is just a testament to what can be sort of salvaged from ISO 6400 using Topaz Denoise.

The end result isn't anything really print worthy or anything - but it's still cool to kind of be able to salvage these a little bit.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Philthy posted:

I love that you can get a glimpse of the snacks. I've found the Topaz stuff to be pretty good. I do wish they had more options and controls, though. Ideally less harsh options.

Yeah I started using the new Raw model and it's actually the best - the only downside is that after I use it, I seem to be losing camera profiles use - Oh well.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I am happy with how these turned out

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Holy poo poo

if that isn't printed and up on your wall in a month i'll be very disappointed :negative:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Those Scrub-Jay shots are fantastic! I like the others, but Scrub-Jays are so cool to me!

Here's some recent highlights from the last batch of edits I finished up today

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Yellow Warbler

Baltimore Oriole

Red-wing Blackbird Male

RWBB Female

Barn Swallow

Great Blue Heron

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Backyard shot from tonight

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Congrats BetterLekNextTime - that's rad as all hell

Bumping this thread with some backyard bird action - I spent an embarrassing amount of money to get a feeder system set up over the past two weekends

House Finches were the bravest to explore the newest offerings of food in the neighbourhood

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

This Red-throated Loon was a bit of celebrity for a little while. At least 10 days in late may/early june. It was hanging out uncharacteristically in a canal that's connected to Lake Ontario - wouldn't leave. It died. But it was super famous for a little while a lot of birders around the GTA got to see this guy real close and that's just special.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I loving love photographing swallows - those are some great tips. Pre Focus + Group/3D tracking and generally watching them for a few minutes to find their patterns.

And yeah the keeper rate is about 1/100 or so lmao

E: Page sniped so here's more content:

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 26, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Philthy posted:

Had a great day walking my favorite field

Barn Swallow feeding
by Philip V, on Flickr

These are fantastic! Really nice photos. I especially love this Swallow shot!

Bald Eagle, Close

Bald Eagle, Far

Belted Kingfisher with fish, being chased by ornery Ring-billed Gull

Caspian Tern with fish

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Stevie Lee posted:

drat, nice. my in-flight keeper rate in swallows is at about 0/2000.

this is the best swallow shot I've managed this summer, a barn swallow resting next to the marshy river;

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Swallows are adorable little chubsters.

These are real good - I've been in a bit of slump with some of my outings this summer, things definitely slowed down, not too much action up here and I haven't been as fervent about getting out there and making things happen.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Great Hummingbird shot - I love it. I haven't been around hummingbirds with my camera handy - unlucky!

Love watching a Tern gnab a fish

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Getting so busy in the late summer, haven't been out since late august :(
I'm starting to feel like I haven't been out and about enough this year to really get a good group of action shots - going through my instagram and looking through my exports, it's a lot of bird-on-a-stick stuff. Such a shame. I gotta start hunting more high action stuff.

Here's some from July 30th though.

Great Blue Heron

Eastern Kingbird

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Spotted Sandpiper

Northern Cardinals

Red-wing Blackbird

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Red-breasted Nuthatch
I should get out in inclimate weather more

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Spoiler for graphic image - Herring Gull pulling some entrails from a Bass.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

You inspired me with this photo so I went out and put a golden spin on it (Yours is still better, that background is unbelievable)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

toggle posted:

Nice! I love the colour. I wanted some sunset colours in mine but it was so bright and over exposed it kind of worked out.

Is your bird standing on one leg?

:hfive: Thank you! It's actually on both legs (had to go into the set and crank the shadows to see) so I got it pretty close to directly 90°.

Interestingly enough - I often do see a lot of Great Blue Herons only on one leg though! This one is from November of last year

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

That looks like a House Sparrow!

Bald Eagle in flight

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

this is really really, really cool.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

Thanks! I have new respect for nature doc makers after trying video in the field.

I've never taken video on my D500 - too scared lol

Kudos for trying it out!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

toggle posted:

With that Cardinal shot, do they moult or go through different seasonal plumage? Or is it just a youngin?

Oh yes they go through quite a horrible molt lol

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

100% Common Starling

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Oh neat, I've never seen a starling in its unitary form before, only as an ominous dark cloud in the sky... flying against the wind :crossarms:

If they weren't so gosh darn good at reproducing and sticking in numbers - they'd be really popular but because they're so common, no one really pays much mind to them.

When they're in that one stage of plumage where there's a bunch of white in there as well has always stood out to me as super neat.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Those are really really nice photos neckbeard - Really nice quality

Here's some recent highlights from an October outing. I was really trying to focus more on lighting and composition rather than just getting something to post on Instagram (so they're not cropped/composed for vertical 4x5)

Red-breasted Merganser

Canada Goose

Mallard

Ring-billed Gull

Great Blue Heron

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'm obsessed with gulls absolutely going apeshit over a small piece of food. Lots of emotion on display.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Hello have some winter birds
The area I moved to is in this wild dryspell right now - bah!

Cedar Waxwing

Black-capped Chickadee

White-breasted Nuthatch
I nearly broke my back shooting these ones - a D500 with the Tamron 150-600 shooting straight up is quite a taxing effort lmao

Dark-eyed Junco

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 19, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Get real close to your local Cedar Waxwings

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Not posting a photo because this is just a forwarning/reminder

If you go on vacation to somewhere different, please for the love of god take a camera body and at least a decent zoom lens. I've been in Mexico since sunday and all I've brought is a 18-45mm kit lens for my little Fuji and I'm DYING. I've seen 31 new species of bird just in the resort alone and while they get close, if I had my 70-300 I'd be FEASTING on all the new shots of these birds.

Don't make the mistake I did. Bring your camera and smaller zoom lens. :negative: Don't be like me.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Slotducks posted:

Not posting a photo because this is just a forwarning/reminder

If you go on vacation to somewhere different, please for the love of god take a camera body and at least a decent zoom lens. I've been in Mexico since sunday and all I've brought is a 18-45mm kit lens for my little Fuji and I'm DYING. I've seen 31 new species of bird just in the resort alone and while they get close, if I had my 70-300 I'd be FEASTING on all the new shots of these birds.

Don't make the mistake I did. Bring your camera and smaller zoom lens. :negative: Don't be like me.

I really stepped out of my comfort zone for these - not used to this stuff at all.

Pair of Yucatan Jays

Party of Yucatan Jays

Great Kiskadee

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

You can only see it when you really zoom out on the photo - preview and actual size you can't see it. You're good.

Before I hit up Mexico, I hit up a spot where the birds are the least human scared I've ever seen them. Almost felt like cheating. lovely light though; so Topaz Denoise saved the hell out of the entire shoot

Tufted Titmouse - these guys loved the peanuts

Hairy Woodpecker

White-breasted Nuthatch

Northern Cardinal

Black-capped Chickadee - this one looked at this pile of seeds for what seemed forever, choice paralysis probably

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Cardinals are cool, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I can see it being really useful for those running a teleconverter plus a longer length lens but also lmao what