Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

high 5 splashing friends

it's absurd how much water these geese tossed up into the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Imposter Syndrome

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Your situation is exactly like mine haha.
Started off with a D5600, grabbed a G1 Tamron 150-600 then quickly decided to jump in and grab a used D500.

Part of me right now wishes I made the leap to Mirrorless, but the cost is/was absurd to jump in. What a silly hobby we find ourselves in. Your hand-shooting will get better with time with the long lenses, muscle adapts quickly.

That said, I shot 3900 photos at a concert last week with my D500 and it only used 75% of the battery... It's a great platform and the 12 fps shooting is fantastic for Bird action shots. (and low light performance is grrrreat too)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Haha up I've got a D5500. How's the D500 for just walking around and shooting? Vacation and hiking-type activities are my main use and I'm a little concerned about how big it is.

It's big, bulky, and heavy haha, with the grip & the Tamron I'm upwards of 9lbs or whatever. Peak Design Slide strap helps a lot with that.

Walking around and shooting? It's not innocuous at all, we have a XT-200 and I use that for more casual stuff, Landscape, street, hanging out with friends - definitely more sleek and not as HEY-IM-TAKING-A-PHOTO-HERE like the huge D500 has.

Bird tax:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Edit it was almost 7pm so it was pretty dark out. My setting were 1/1000, f11, ISO 6400. Guessing I should have lowered ISO and lengthened the exposure speed?

This is my method - When I shoot manual - I shoot with Auto Iso still on maxing out at about ISO 8000 -

For stationary birds like that, I'll ensure that I'm around the shutter speed rule of thumb (match or exceed e.g. 400mm, don't go below 1/400) - but if I'm ballsy enough and the bird is still, I can drop that shutter speed below and push it. Some of the shots I've shared in the last couple months are at like 420mm but with shutter speeds as low as 1/500

When using Auto Iso and I'm shooting white birds, I ensure to switch my metering to highlight priority, to preserve the highlights in the whites. But if it's a dark day, and a dark bird, switch over to spot matrixing so the iso jumps up a bit when focusing on the bird and then you don't have to bring the shadows much in post.

These are just things I do - I'm sure there's purists out there who scoff at the idea of auto iso but yeah this has been my technique for the last 2 years or so. I'm still learning too!

Great job framing the shot and moving so there's minimal branches interfering with the bird!

Bird tax:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Learning to be less precious about ISO is something I need bad, I start getting squishy about going as high low as 1600

Topaz Denoise is really good at curing that squishiness.

This is at ISO 4000

Lights posted:

The water drops make this bird look like it just spotted Solid Snake. Excellent.

Thanks! Later on this guy flicked his dick out for a bit and that was super weird - what a weird bird.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

sorry sorry sorry bird dick tax it's better animated through frames:

dick warning:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I knew that ducks have a corkscrew penis from the Scientifically Accurate Ducktales cartoon.

i learned it from ze frank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k01DIVDJlY

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Spring time bath time

American Robin

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

There's nothing like hunting down the rare birds around town after a sighting report. A flock of about 60 Bohemian Waxwings have decided to stay in Guelph for about a week or so now:

Bonus Cooper's Hawk - their red eyes match the fresh maple tree buds perfectly, it's kind of uncanny.

toggle posted:

Nap time

I love birds in water napping a little - I have some shots of a very sleepy Gadwall just slowly wading in the lake

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 5, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I just spent 2 mornings at my local Tree Swallow research station and the males have arrived and are duking it out for nest boxes. Not as dynamic as my shots last year (the barbed wire on the nest box didn't help much)

Bonus Killdeer:

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 11, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

I assume you were at your widest aperture? What I tend to do with perched birds in low light like this is take multiple shots at progressively lower shutter speeds start at 1/1000 say then drop to 1/800 etc etc and then look at them later so see which combo of settings was the best.

There's a stupidly lazy way of doing this with Bracketing. It takes even the smallest amount of thought out of it. I've done it a few time, it's not too too bad.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

Can you set bracketing to keep the same exposure with auto ISO but lower shutter speed?

I thought it just under - right - over

Unless there some other bracketting options?

Yeah I typically shoot manual with Auto ISO on so AE bracketing just alters the shutter speed for me.

Example that I just did in here

Manual Mode - Auto ISO ON (max 8000)
I set bracketing to 3 frames EV 1.0 apart:

Shot 1 - 1/100 ISO 360
Shot 2 - 1/200 ISO 360
Shot 3 - 1/50 ISO 360

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Ah I see where I got confused - I was interpreting it like you want to get progressively slower shutter speeds so the exposure gets brighter and hedge your bets that way. As the slower the shutter speed, the higher the chance of it becoming blurry. Instead of the other way around of getting the same exposure with different settings.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I forgot to post these - the ear-full of Bohemian Waxwings in the Guelph Area spent lunch at some low hanging crab apple trees in a parking lot at the University

Not the greatest lighting conditions though :(

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

For every 200 shots of Tree Swallows I took in flight, there's one or two that actually come out looking alright

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

my favorite thing to do when driving through Ohio and Indiana is to count the red-wingers perched on all the farming fences

it's a LOT

im surprised that doesn't put you to sleep like counting sheep

they're loving everywhere up here in the Greater Toronto Area.
Usually one or two of them get pretty ornery and attack people and draw a couple news articles every year

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I got to witness a Red-tailed Hawk deploying countermeasures against a couple mobbing Grackles this morning

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

We had a super rare bird alert hit in the early afternoon just 20 minutes from my house. A Scissor-tailed Flycatcher has seemingly decided that visiting Cambridge Ontario (about 1.5 hours from Toronto?) was a good idea - maybe it was because it was absolutely feasting on bugs throughout the day.

Heat distortion and distance made my photos kind of bad. But Topaz AI sort of helps along with just the satisfaction of seeing such a cool bird this far north.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

I did not know cormorants had such vibrant eyes!

They're like blue jewels they're wild. It's such a shame they're on such a generally unpleasant bird otherwise

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Also, I have the same spots on my sensor.

I love Ospreys so much

Me too

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Hell yeah - Ospreys rule.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008