Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Went out for the first time with a new 70-300mm lens, was a learning experience but tons of fun to use. This guy was really deep inside a bush, sorry for the leaves.

PreBerry by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Berry by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Thank you! I'm shooting with a Canon 1D MkIV and a 300mm f2.8 non-IS. I usually have either a 1.4x or 2x TC attached but a few of those, like the Lewis's WP and White Headed WP are bare.

Just echoing everyone else but your shots are incredible. What is your process for getting these shots? Do you just find a nice looking stick and wait for something to land on it? Do you have birdfeed near it or something?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

One Swell Foop posted:

I've seen a gull on the seawall dive into a foot of water to grab a 6-inch starfish, then stand around awkwardly like some kind of Cthulhu monster as it tried to swallow it, tentacles waving out of its mouth.

Gulls are the ultimate generalist birds.

I live Van also and actually my gf took a picture of a gull doing exactly what you're describing a month ago or so. Looked for the photo but it's not on my computer.

Bunch of shots from the Bloedel Conservatory in Vancouver. I'm still learning so it was great to go out and shoot relatively captive subjects. I don't know the names of these birds sadly.

Bloedel8 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bloedel7 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bloedel6 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bloedel5 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bloedel4 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bloedel2 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bloedel1 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

single-mode fiber posted:

bird face dot jpeg

Birde

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

No gloves! :black101: I never used them getting small stuff out of a mistnet, but I'd think those owls could foot you pretty good.

With beards like that you don't need gloves. I hope the poor guys aren't too stressed out by being in the nets.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I've never really understood the heavy emphasis on corner sharpness that places like DxO put on these lenses. Wide angle or standard length, sure, but the vast majority of photos taken with super telephotos, sports and wildlife shots, are going to be sharp subject, blown out background. When they are used for landscape, they are going to be stopped down.

Even if the corners were a bit *too* blown out, most people shooting birds are cropping anyways I would think.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

I haven't had a lot of opportunity lately with fall migration slowing down, so here's a couple of shots from the summer:

Yellow-headed Blackbird

Love this shot as well. Showed it to my GF (also shoots) and she said it looked like a yellow bird wearing a popped collar vampire jacket. Can't unsee that now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You'd almost think the best medium would be a coffee table book but it would be too expensive to produce I guess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Internet Junky: Do you get the unique color in the background of your shots through split toning?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pukestain Pal posted:

That is fantastic! Are you using an extender to get 600mm or do you have a real deal 600mm? I have a 300mm f/2.8 and been wondering how lovely the quality of a 2x extender would be. not worried about the min aperture going up to f/5.6 since I shoot birds at 8 or 11 anyways.

Wondering this also, have the same setup.

E: Nvm I have a 300mm 5.6 it'd be too dark.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love macaws but they can be so goddamn dramatic

Theatre, Darling by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

And my first missed shot of the year (linking a small version so you can't see how OOF his head is)

Whenever I see shots by you or others in this thread where the subject is flying at high speed directly towards you I always wonder how you manage to get it in focus. Do you manually focus it as you're shooting? Is your autofocus THAT quick and you just single-AF point the bird and fire?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Got out with the gf and poo poo some birds at a place 20 min from our front door that we had never been to. I was blown away at the sheer number of eagles and falcons that we saw.

BB3 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

BB2 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

BB1 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Would this be a family or just a random assortment of eagles?

HELLO

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 19, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ntrepid posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. My dad is a photographer and has agreed to let me borrow one of his bigger lenses (I think it's 300mm). He also has an unused copy of Photoshop. That should at least get me a bit closer to the birds and allow me to touch up the less than perfect shots.

There are some downed limbs behind my apartment and i'll figure out a way to secure them to my deck. For birds should I use a 200 or lower ISO and over 1000 shutter speed?

Use as low a shutter speed as you can get away with depending on what the birds are doing, and as wide open as your aperture will go on that 300mm and then just see how low you can get your ISO after that to still have a decent exposure.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

One Swell Foop posted:

Boundary Bay & Burns Bog. Note to self: learn to manual focus soon.

Shoot me a PM next time you're going, I'm always down to shoot that area and live in New West.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dread Head posted:

You know if there are any snowy owls out there this year?

I think we're too late, went out recently and didn't see any.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This is great. Have you played with cropping the corner of the roof out?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

galiano (3 of 3) by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheMirage posted:

Wow, where was this?

*edit: also, what was the eagle doing to the gbh? Actually attacking?

It was going in for a big hug.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

im an orange posted:

Guys, I'm poor and only have a D3200. Can I get into bird photography too, or do I have to wait until I'm not poor?

Get a tamron 70-300 VC USD, it's great on crop.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Moon Potato posted:

My first documentary is going to premiere next month. Here's a preview for it:
https://vimeo.com/99209716

This is fantastic, thanks for sharing and best of luck with the premiere.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

On the off chance anyone has been, I'm in Whistler until Thursday and would love to know good bird photo areas?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

One Swell Foop posted:

Squamish Estuary is probably your best bet. About 30-45 mins away from Whistler.

Awesome, thanks. That's about halfway back to Vancouver so we'll probably just stop there in the way back.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I know we have some Vancouver based birders, anyone know when snow owls are expected in Boundary Bay this year?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How are you nailing focus on all of these shots? Center point AF and praying?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheMirage posted:

Oh wow, so my preorder for the sigma 150-600 sport went through on B&H. Unexpected.... but i guess i'll order the 1.4 extender as well and see how it works out.

Why get an extender on a lens that is at f/6.3 at it's max focal range?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fair enough, I thought it'd be way too dark.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

InternetJunky what setup are you taking those shots with? I've never seen anything so sharp in my life.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

AI Servo, single point AF, focus button remapped (very important)

Could you elaborate on the focus button remapping? I'm not sure what you mean and want to improve.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

I think the feature is called 'back button focus' (that might just be Canon's terminology for it though). What it does is disables the AF when you half-press the shutter button and instead maps the focus to a button on the back of the body. Once you get used to it it becomes difficult to even try and go back. It lets you leave your camera in AI Servo mode all the time (which is important when the thing you're shooting can take off at any moment) plus reduces camera movement when you go to shoot. If you pair it with a remote trigger you pretty much eliminate all the movement that usually happens when you press the shutter to focus/shoot.

So instead of keeping the shutter half pressed you're holding down the button on the back of the body? Is the one benefit of this that you reduce camera shake or am I missing another major advantage over just leaving the body in AI servo/AF-S and using the shutter button focus?

e: watching this is helping.

e2: cool. Set up my d7k for this and will force myself to use it for awhile. Thanks IJ.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 24, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Glad to hear you're trying it. One you get used to it I imagine you'll also find it just feels more natural than having that functionality tied to the shutter button. Aside from that, the real benefit to a bird photographer is what I mentioned previously -- you can leave your camera in AI Servo mode but still be able to focus on the eye and recompose if necessary.

For sure. I'll have to play with it but I was already getting frustrated switching between focus modes though so I'm glad to hear this exists.

So which lens do we like better for 150-600, the Sigma or Tamron?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry but I don't know where else to ask this and the thread is super active. I'm looking to confirm the rather boring ID of these as being female mallards (anas platyrhynchos). I'm doing a small research project on the effect of distance to safety on how close a species will let a predator approach and want to make sure I'm properly ID'ing. Thanks in advance.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm in Whistler, BC for a couple days with all my gear. Anyone have a good shooting site?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tamron's VC is insane.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ntrepid posted:

Neotropical migrants

Great shots and interesting subjects, but I have to say I read this initially as Neurotypical Migrants and was like 'ugh greeeaatt just what we need'.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Great shots SMERSH. Whereabouts globally are you?

Question- are bald eagles super common outside of where I live (Pacific Northwest)? What about overseas? I always see them when out at parks and take the odd shot but feel like I might as well be taking a photo of the bottom of a pier or the eiffel tower for the lack of originality of the shot.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

When you guys mention the 150-600, do you mean the Tamron Vi DC USD with that zoom range?

Yes and the competing sigma I think.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, I don't think any of us have either of the Sigmas yet.

I've been thinking of picking the Contemporary model up since my Tamron has occasionally been misbehaving losing the ability to run its focus motor, requiring a "reboot" of the lens (disconnect it from camera, reconnect). Figure I can buy the Sigma and then send the Tamron in for repair/replacement, then figure out which lens I want to keep and sell the other.

I'll probably do that if the Tamron acts up again.

PM me when you want to sell that (if it's F mount).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Went to a local conservatory near Vancouver today. Didn't see a ton of anything super interesting but it was a great walk and good practice shooting. I'm not sure on the species of the shorebird and the ?sparrows if anyone wants to chime in but I'm sure they're not very rare. There were thousands of geese/ducks all over the place.

GR Bird Sanctuary (6 of 6) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

GR Bird Sanctuary (5 of 6) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

GR Bird Sanctuary (4 of 6) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

GR Bird Sanctuary (1 of 6) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Bonus non-bird proboscis shot:
Pro-Boscis by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr