Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
First birb photo I have taken that I think is "pretty good":

Wagtail and sparrow fighting about a hole under the gutter.

e: here is the what lead to the brief scuffle, wagtail is arriving to the spot with some stuff on its beak but the sparrow is already camping there

Sorbus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I think I am getting better little by little :)

Eurasian Jay:

Great Tit :grin: :

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Slotducks posted:

Dunno if this is warranted but I started doing this to my bird shots and the results have my shots pop way more than I would just in Lightroom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Xd_NtoTTA

Content:
White-breasted Nuthatch:

Good tips! Followed that channel and already tried out some of the techniques.

I think this dude is a willow warbler:

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Sorry for spamming the thread but here's a young great tit waiting to be fed:

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Any advise for the f8 crew on shooting in a dark, dense forest?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Downloaded DeNoise and ended up buying it.

Here are a couple of great spotted woodpeckers working on a spruce cone.

With Denoise:

Without:

350mm (counts as 525mm) F8 SS 500 ISO 3200

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

got this one featured on a big bird photo ig account this week and glad to see that people are liking it :)

I just started taking bird photos this year and it has definitely been fun to learn about nature and photography at the same time. Thinking about getting a sony 200-600mm next year and spending even more time in the woods.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Great tit from June, used this to practice blurring background in photoshop.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Juvenile common redstart

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Another picture of the redstart:

I have been trying to get a good photo of a black woodpecker since may but it is balls hard as they are very shy and very black, so I have a lot of photos of dark blobs with bright eyes.

MayI should invest in a bag hide.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Been visiting this one rowan nearby at least once a week to check if there's any waxwings visiting. Not quite but got some pics of fieldfares having a breakfast.

Sky is blown out to white but it was pretty dim so had to ramp up the ISO.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I could be wrong but don't cedar waxwings get 100% of their hydration from the berries they eat? I think I learned that playing Wingspan, they adapted the boardgame for PC, it's on Steam.

I think that is mostly correct. From Wikipedia:

"Waxwings often drink water or eat snow in winter, since the sugar in their fruit diet tends to dehydrate the birds through an osmotic effect. In the summer, the fruits are juicier and water is less of a problem."

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Went shooting downtown yesterday instead of my usual spots in the forest or cemetery.

Crow by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

House sparrow by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Got a sony FE 200-600 and took it out for a spin today:

Blue tit by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
DorianGravy I don't know how much the birds feel the cold but they definitely puff up when temperatures fall and spend time huddled together. I know that to keep their body heat up the birds need to eat a lot and for example a big portion of the kinglet population dies every winter.

There has been talks if feeding the birds with nuts, seeds and fat gives unfair advantage to tits that don't migrate vs flycatchers which compete for the same nesting areas but I don't have an opinion on that.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
It is now cold enough here that bohemian waxwings and fieldfares come from the forests to eat the berries in the city, shot this yesterday on my lunch break.

Bohemian waxwing by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Pine grosbeak by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

marshmonkey posted:

absolutely demolishing those berries

Yeah apparently some birds just eat the seeds inside instead of swallowing the berries whole like waxwings and fieldfares.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
This jay was just sitting around, not caring about me or the nearby feeding spot.

Eurasian Jay by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
A pair of pine grosbeaks were eating berries and didn't care about me at all so I stayed there for a while and took almost 900 pictures and actually likead a couple of them :)

bonus: drr drr drr!

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
ISO 10000 but still surprisingly good image quality

Fieldfare by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

jarlywarly posted:

It just makes you have to work harder to get standout photos of them, the right pose and light will do wonders for the common beauty's, even house sparrows.

If I were a richer man I would buy a 70-200 2.8 just to shoot sparrows

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Got a shot of a great grey shrike taking a dump :haw: Hope I have time to edit and upload it tonight.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Finally I can call myself a bird photographer:

Great grey shrike by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Shot this three-toed woodpecker yesterday - cannot see the beautiful orange spot on its head but I like the "beard" under the dude's beak

Eurasian three-toed woodpecker by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Carrying a sony 200-600mm around seems to gently caress up my neck even though I have a wide peak slide strap :butt:

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Slotducks posted:

Do you have the strap on the camera body or the tripod shoe?

I have the peak design things attached to tripod shoe usually so the camera is on my right side horizontally when I am not shooting.

I have a feeling that the neck pain is more about remote work ergonomics and doomscrolling UA war from phone, still sucks when it affects photography.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Eurasian coot by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Funny how different birds act now that they are full of hormones, usually coots are very shy and hide in reeds.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Saw an osprey today, he had some trouble at first as crow kept harassing and first fish he attacked was too big to carry but finally there was success :)

Crow harassing osprey by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Osprey by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Morning shower by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Wish I had more ISO than 200 but I like this one anyways.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Unfortunately didn't catch the next step when the little wagtail did some kind of barrel roll as the little wave dared to splash them

White wagtail by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
It was a nice hazy light today and this handsome fella was willing to pose for me

Hooded crow by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Almost a good picture, it is a pretty bad berry year over here so waxwing had to adjust their diet :)

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Great tit by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Traded in my A6600 and Tamron 17-70 which I really didn't use and got a Sony A7 IV :snoop:

Yellowhammer by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Great tit by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Living in Finland, we get only a couple of hours of daylight this time of year and now it has been cloudy so the "day" is basically dark grey. This is almost straight outta camera, just cropped a bit and desaturated the background some and made the bird pop.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Winter in Finland: there is no light at all but the cold brings interesting species to cities. This I just shot in a park five minutes away from my workplace, he/she has been in the area for two weeks now.

Northern hawk-owl by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

yum! by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Kraa!

It has been very bleak January here and also I hurt my toe few weeks back so haven't taken any photos until today

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

mallards invaded a feeding spot in a forest today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I haven't done much shooting this year but I joined the local chapter of Birdlife :)