Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I live by the ocean, so we have lots and lots of seagulls, good for practicing BIF

Nikon D750, Tokina AT-X AF SD 80-200mm at 200mm f7.1 1/1000, ISO 320, slightly cropped. Pulled up the exposure about +0.73 in post.

The Tokina is from the early 90s and I am frankly baffled that it actually works for BIF. Of course the amazing autofocus system in the D750 helps a ton.
This lens was dogshit on my old D300, but works quite well on my D750, especially stepped down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Another seagull. I liked how this turned out, but it's becoming painfully obvious that I need another 100mm or so of lens... when I can actually aim it properly :downs:

Typically it goes like this, though I know it's a difficult angle (full frame at 200mm, jpeg straight from the camera):
->

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I saw a small duck family walking past the house across the street today :3:
The ducklings did not have a good time getting over obstacles though...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Just picked up a Nikkor 70-300 AF-P VR and this thing blows me away.

1/1600, f/7.1, ISO400, D750 + 70-300

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Got lucky with this one :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Shooting against the sky like that I usually do +2/3-1 stop. Darktable is a good free lightroom alternative. Not as polished though.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I shoot raw+jpeg for most things, but jpeg for birds since the raw buffer on the D750 is pitiful. Don't do that without having nailed your settings though :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Isn't the buffer like 12ish shots for 14bit? That's not awful but I can see it being limited for BIF, you could go down to 12bit, would probably double it and you only lose a smidge of data in the darkest of shadows.

You know, I hadn't looked into that, going to check it out tonight :sun:

I have a pretty good in-camera jpeg preset, so it's not a big deal, but this warrants investigation.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Lights posted:

I picked up one a few weeks ago and finally took it out the other day and it was utterly useless due to the hot shoe adapter being super wobbly. Very annoying, because I really like the idea of being able to track birds in a non-600mm field of view. I didn't have time to troubleshoot it til today - the screw that attaches the hot shoe to the weaver rail was loose. But then when I fixed that, I discovered that the little plate on the bottom was a millimeter or so too narrow, so if the scope gets bumped, it'll wiggle and go out of alignment even if the knob is tightened all the way down. I think I might be able to stick a toothpick in to wedge it in place a bit better, might try that out sometime.

Do you have a picture of this contraption? :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A making GBS threads bird. Also still trying to figure out focus - it nailed the wingtip (and a bit of the poo poo :haw: ) but the rest of the bird is out of focus.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

jarlywarly posted:

I find the zoomable EVF saves me most of the "is that an interesting bird or just another wood pigeon" shots these days.

The EVF is quite the help for this, yeah :sun:

Ohai.

Bai! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011