Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Here's a robin I saw on a walk a couple of days ago. Robins are pretty fearless, so I was able to get very close - this was taken with a 300mm lens on a full-frame camera and is uncropped. I should have used a much higher shutter speed to get a sharper shot, but oh well, I'm satisfied.

Edit - argh, uploaded the wrong version. Ignore the one at the bottom, you can't delete an attached image once it's on there.

To make up for it, I'll add a bonus shot of a sparrow in Mexico a couple of months ago. Like the Robin above, they don't mind people. These little guys hang out near resorts and raid tables for crumbs after people leave. This one was on top of the bush, waiting for my girlfriend and I to leave, so I grabbed my camera. This spooked him and he flew off as I was taking the shot with my Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 - in other words, this shot was all luck.

VVV ignore this one, once an image is attached to the post it's there for good VVV

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Cross-posting these from my Mazatlan trip report. All of these were shot with a Sony a850 (which is full-frame) and either the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 or a Konica-Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8. No long glass necessary!

Brown Pelican

Gull

Dove

Tern

I have no idea what these things are, but they had a wingspan of 4-5 feet and aren't afraid of humans, so I call them Death Gulls.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

A few recent photos of what I believe are Goldfinches. These were shot using a Sony a850 and the Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 lens. I changed the third one to black and white as I've always felt like fast motion looks more interesting without color. That, and the bird had a strange red spot under its wing - I assume it's just a spot that's bare of feathers, and you're never going to see it unless you're really lucky with a photo like this one.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Here are a few shots of a bird in my backyard. I'm pretty sure it's an Oriole, but I can't figure out what kind - not sure if it has some sort of juvenile coat, or if it's a hybrid, or what. We don't get a lot of snow in the Seattle area, but this guy didn't seem to mind a bit.

DSC03693 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC03702 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC03674 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC03731 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Welp, guess that explains why he didn't look like any Oriole I could find. Thanks!

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Well, if this is now the bird AND squirrel thread . . .

DSC01316 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC01321 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC01324 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

JuanChai posted:

Not so sharp but I like the compostition...

zz_MG_5639 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr
It's a good shot. Yeah, it's a bit soft, but my eye is drawn to the wing first, and the clearly-defined feathers help counterbalance any softness around the head. I usually don't photograph gulls because they're so common, therefore I assume everyone will think they're boring. You're getting around that by photographing them doing neat things, and I like it.

mobot posted:

This is literally the best hummingbird photo I've ever seen, well done. Do you use any additional light for shots like these, or is it all natural lighting?

Let's contrast this beautiful shot of a hummingbird with, say . . . a wild turkey.

DSC03951 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Why the hell are there wild turkeys on a Hawaiian island? I mean, I get that they were imported. Who looks at Hawaii, says "this place could really use some turkeys", and goes out of their way to introduce a flock or two?

DSC03947 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 22, 2012

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Here are some more birds from Lana'i. As BetterLekNextTime mentioned above, not much turned out to be native - maybe the last bird, but I'm not sure. All of these were shot using a Sony a77 and a Sony 70-400mm lens. I shot handheld because I was travelling very light and didn't have room for a tripod.

Zebra Dove

DSC03957 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Zebra Dove w/ diabetes

DSC03978_3000 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

House Sparrows

DSC04107 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Red Crested Cardinal and what I think is a House Sparrow

DSC04003 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Red Crested Cardinal

DSC04349 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Northern Cardinal

DSC04344 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Myna Bird - these things are the size of Robins, but seem smart like crows.

DSC04116 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

I don't know what this was. It had a different beak than the Northern Cardinal. It was smart enough to hang out in the middle of some cordoned-off ruins, so I was never able to get closer than 30 or so feet to it.

DSC03974_3000 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 27, 2012

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Nah, poor source image & heavily cropped - it was processed the same as the others in terms of sharpening and colors. I'm hoping someone recognizes it as I'm curious as to what it was.

Edit - ok, I see the problem now. After cropping, I meant to downsize the image further to hide the poor source. Instead, it looks like I upsized it. I uploaded a corrected version which shows a bit more detail.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 27, 2012

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The only thing keeping from calling it a Northern Cardinal is the beak, as it seems beefier than the others I saw on the trip. Who knows, maybe it's just normal variation in the species.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Humorously enough, I was smack dab in the middle of one of the Seattle area's biggest off leash dog parks when I shot those photos. No dog with me though. I think it worked to my advantage since they're conditioned to not be scared of the humans or dogs. A doberman style dog actually walked right under the tree while I was shooting and they didn't even flinch.
Marymoor? I've never had great luck in the off-leash area, but then again, I haven't really tried much. Is there a particular time of day you're heading out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Oh hey, some lazy duck shots from the local zoo.

DSC00616 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

DSC00609 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr