Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Swamp hens getting worried by a water dragon.

Eastern Great Egret

Duck Butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

White Ducks by Caleb Brian, on Flickr

Kookaburra by Caleb Brian, on Flickr

Kookaburra with Lunch by Caleb Brian, on Flickr

Kookaburra with Lunch Stolen by Caleb Brian, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Some superb fairy wrens have taken up accommodation outside our apartment building.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Some more Queensland locals, Rainbow Lorikeets and Red-Winged Parrots

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Some common Australian birds:

Noisy Minor

Welcome Swallow

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got my first rolls of film processed today, been waiting on seeing these photos for a long time.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yea, Australasian Darter! I thought I put that in the post but it looks like I forgot.

e: here's another of the same guy, love the pose, just wish I'd thought more about the lighting.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 6, 2018

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Asking for some pointers on this one. I know the focus is off, and that's the price I pay for only bringing a film camera to Japan, but the green on green makes the Sparrows (I think Eurasian Tree Sparrow) difficult to see. How could I have approached this photo better? I was thinking I could have shot more open to seperate the background, but I think I might have had buckleys of getting it to come off well because of the lighting.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Fair enough, guess I was wanting to have my cake and eat it too with wanting that framing.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A problem has been detected, and Magpie has been shut down to prevent damage. Please restart your Magpie.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

*sniff sniff* Yep, this is going in the wash.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Goddamn

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We bribed this birb with chips for some modelling.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 27, 2018

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Strong renaissance painting vibes in the composure here. Love it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bush Stone Curlews are rad but gently caress the ones in particular that live in front of our house. Their calls are not soothing at 1am.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

vessbot posted:

Anyway, I feel like if I keep posting so many of those, I might threadjack this into my personal eagle photo journey blog. So maybe at the end of the year I'll just pick out the very best.

I, for one, am excited for the Dorkroom version of J. A. Baker's The Peregrine.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Next in my series of birding with impractical gear

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

DorianGravy posted:

Nice. What impractical gear are you using?

Next I wanna get a bird with my bellows setup. These guys are all very friendly so I don't think it'll be too difficult.

https://i.imgur.com/8FnD0de.gifv

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Lol those fuckers always nest right outside our apartment and their favorite thing in the world is screaming at 1am

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

You're like, drat, that's a cool bird. Then you find out it sounds like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQCLKPZYemA

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Their chicks are incredible adorable

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Some Australian Magpies

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've decided we should do a Christmas print swap so here's the thread to join in: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014463

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I need to retake these as I forgot to stop down, first time using the bellows, but I'm pretty stoked I nailed the eye focus at wide open.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 14, 2023

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Australian Magpies are not corvids :eng101: and also thank you!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hey bird nerds, my wife and I have gotten deeper into birding and I'm now toying with the idea of a cheap birding setup. I know M43 is a pretty popular choice for the crop factors and weight, but I'm extremely out of the digital market and ecosystem so I don't know what's good in the second hand market right now. It seems like the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II can be had for like $400 - $500, sometimes with lenses, sometimes without. Is this a good place to start? Are there any other M43 cameras around a similar price point I should be looking at that would be better for exclusively birding?

My goal is something relatively compact with good reach. I'm not expecting full frame top of the line performance or whatever, just something I can carry alongside all of my film gear that I can whip out and snap a bird or two with.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Giving the name Bird Feeders a new meaning

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That's an Australian bush turkey, just vibin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012