Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Gosh that happened quickly.

Once I started shooting the birds on my back porch I jumped from the cheapo kit lenses to the 70-300 to the 150-600 in a matter of weeks. I've been having a blast and some of my photos are starting to come out half-decent.

I have some noob questions:

- The Tamron 150-600 G2 sometimes fails to autofocus when it's at the opposite end of the focus range as my subject, and I have to grab the focus ring to help it out. Once it's in the ballpark the AF kicks back in, I've never had it stop focusing entirely. Is this normal behavior for a big zoom lens, especially with an older consumer body (D5200)?

- How do you manage the files that come off the memory card? Do you discard bad shots right away on import? I'm just dumping everything onto my PC currently because I don't have an actual workflow yet but that doesn't seem sustainable.

- Do you have any wildlife-specific post processing tutorials to recommend? I'm planning to start with Lightroom but I'm open to suggestions there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

drat, after dicking around with .JPEGs off the camera for three weeks, editing RAWs in Lightroom feels like cheating.

First Batch I by Zach S, on Flickr

First Batch III by Zach S, on Flickr

First Batch II by Zach S, on Flickr

First Batch IV by Zach S, on Flickr

First Batch V by Zach S, on Flickr

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Common Yellowthroat by Zach S, on Flickr

Barn Swallow by Zach S, on Flickr

Yellow Warbler by Zach S, on Flickr

this is surprisingly addictive

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Birudojin posted:

And some others - there were some trumpeter swans there and the swallows would play while the sun broke with the shed feathers they left near the shore

These are amazing. Nice work

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'm pretty sure this was an osprey;

Only one I've seen so far.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Red-bellied woodpecker by Zach S, on Flickr

King of the Hill by Zach S, on Flickr

What's the easiest way to make the sky tone match between two edits in Lightroom?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Wren in a log by Zach S, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Tree swallows by Zach S, on Flickr