Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Great thread! Extremely informative. Here's a question for you:

Shooting large birds is one thing, but how do you go about shooting smaller ones? I visited the local wildlife refuge last summer early one morning and the longest lens I had with me was the 70-200mm. I couldn't really track these birds at all. For one, they were tiny and 200mm wasn't long enough to reach them. But second, they were very fast, zipping all over the place, eating mosquitos. They were beautiful birds and I was really sad I couldn't photograph them better. I also found that the 70-200mm limited me in how close I could get to them when they were resting. They would fly away if I got less than 10-15 feet.

What is the secret here?

Would you just have to position yourself at a distance and track them very carefully/patiently?

This is what the birds looked like "up close" with 200mm:

In flight:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU