Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

VelociBacon posted:

Do you guys use the VC since you're normally shooting at speeds at least 1/1000? I leave it on but I know some people say to turn it off over 1/500.

I usually use the horizontal VC if I remember to switch to it.

Lighting was pretty bad this AM, but it's my first osprey with a fish shot so I'm thrilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Starting to hit the 90s here with ridiculous humidity, but birds keep birdin

Black vulture

Red-tailed hawk

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Good lord, man. That's awesome.

Armadillo's back on the menu..

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

That is superb, I really like the poses in those, torgeaux.

Killdeer

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

DorianGravy posted:

I wonder what this Osprey was thinking as it flew by, watching a person on the ground staring up at it.

Cool catch! Osprey and their meals are always fun to watch. I swear this one can recognize my car and perches in the worst possible spot so I can't get anything good lighting wise.

This black vulture wanted a new headshot for its portfolio I guess and cooperated a bit more than the Osprey as far as lighting.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

I could be wrong since I'm not the best at identifying the smaller birds, but is this a textbook example of brood parasitism? That one being fed sure looks like a fat brown-headed cowbird chick. Birds are some brutal animals, man.

Have another red-tailed hawk

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 14, 2018

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Captive birds, but it was cool seeing these guys up close. Especially the Eurasian which apparently was imported as an illegal pet when he was 3 months old.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

These are awesome.

Thanks! These owls were so cool to get up close to.

Got one more of the eagle-owl

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Who wants some cow placenta?

Vulture slurp-9461 on Flickr
Mmm mmm. This guy! It's nothing but armadillos around here.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

I did not kneel when I saw this beauty flying around. Almost got my dream shot as it immediately dove about a foot above the water and then had a change of heart and flew back up. Argh, so close.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Thousand yard stare.

Every time I get a thread title opportunity I have to take it,

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

I think I may have a bum copy. :(

Dang that sucks, I'm sorry. You might try grabbing a tamron dock from lensrentals or something and adjusting focus through that to verify everything is calibrated right.

This is a full size link, so I'll just leave it in text but it's a shot from the other day in some off light, 600mm f/8 1/800 iso 250 handheld with the G2 version: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4907/32163901228_bf7a8f2efb_o.jpg

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Those snowy owls are gorgeous.

dark-eyed junco

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Ready for spring here, I'm tired of these flat grey days. Much like this hawk is tired of that stick. It tried breaking it three or four times with its body weight before just biting it in half. I heard the Jurassic Park theme in my head the entire time.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Couple eagle shots hot off the press.

Oh, and a shot of my friend Sheryl walking on the beach

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 28, 2019

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

DJExile posted:

Oh man that one of the... raven? harassing the eagle is a great find

Thanks man! Yeah, that was quite a scene. That poor eagle got harassed every single time I saw it flying by. Didn't seem to give much of a drat though, and definitely didn't keep it away from the area.

Got one more right before it went over the tree I was near.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Was taking a break from shooting a wedding and watched a random bald eagle splash down and grab a sardine. probably my favorite photo from the wedding. just don't tell the bride that.