Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Recent trip to Chester, UK lead me to the fantastic falconry centre there. Some beautiful birds, although they have a tendency to fly off and chase the local pigeons.

Not sure what exact species this one was.

Not a flamingo by Gareth Dineen, on Flickr

This was an Eurasian hawk owl called Munch :3:
All seeing eye by Gareth Dineen, on Flickr

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Took these last summer, im just that slow at getting round to processing my pictures.

Swan
on Flickr

Cygnet on Flickr

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If I remember right the sigma 150-600 got some updates that improved AF but 20-40%. I suppose once you get it you can decide if you feel that speed increase would be worth another for the dock £40-50.

I've had my eye on the sigma 150-600 myself for ages so once you do get it id love a little review.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Grasshopper warbler House sparrow

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 23, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Slotducks posted:

That looks like a House Sparrow!

Haha I think you might be right. The bottom yellow beak threw me off.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Wibla posted:

I shoot raw+jpeg for most things, but jpeg for birds since the raw buffer on the D750 is pitiful. Don't do that without having nailed your settings though :v:

Isn't the buffer like 12ish shots for 14bit? That's not awful but I can see it being limited for BIF, you could go down to 12bit, would probably double it and you only lose a smidge of data in the darkest of shadows.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Found a chart :)

Nikon D750 NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 14-bit , shots: 15, CS: 2.3 sec
Nikon D750 NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit, shots : 25, CS: 3.8 sec
Nikon D750 NEF (RAW), Compressed, 14-bit, shots : 21, CS : 3.2 sec
Nikon D750 NEF (RAW), Compressed, 12-bit, shots 33, CS: 5.1 sec
Nikon D750 JPEG Fine (Large), shots: 87, CS : 13.4 sec

If you are curious about image quality difference, it is there but its minor and if its the option of having compressed 12 bit raws or no raws, then I think its a no brainer.

https://www.slrlounge.com/nikon-raw-nef-file-quality-option-comparison-testing-14-bit-lossless-vs-12-bit-compressed/

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 19, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Tbf, there are very few landscapes in the landscape thread.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Very nice. Congrats.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I love robins and their little fat round bodies :3:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I love how owls permanently look so pissed off.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Common as anything and so friendly it almost feels like cheating. But I still love a good Robin

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Just got my Nikon 200-500 delivered and it's pissing down with rain for the next week :argh:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Been having lots of fun with my new setup in the forest I've moved near and cataloguing what I have been seeing. My wife has been making fun of me for turning into a bird nerd with my bird book and huge lens.

This guy is what convinced me I needed better glass. I've spotted him twice since my new lens arrived but never long enough to get an updated snap, so only have this poor resolution one for now.

What I have been able to capture is lots of pretty common birds but its still a lot of fun

Especially love this very punky blue tit

Robins have been very easy to get, incredibly friendly

Great tit

Mistle Thrush

Dunnock

Jay

Besides the mentioned Buzzards, also got Lesser spotted and green woodpeckers in this forest, I can hear them but I haven't managed to spot any yet.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

A missed shot that ended up coming out kind of interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

From the branch that bird is clearly tiny yet I still feel intimidated.