Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma
Wood River, Dillingham Alaska, Canon 20D / 100-400L

Marymoor Park, Redmond, WA, Canon 20D / 300mm f/4L:

After selling the 300mm f/4L, and renting a 100-400 a few times, I finally bought a Sigma 80-400mm OS f/3.5-5.6. AF is too slow for BiF, but I got it for just $500. I'd really like to get the 300 F/4 again, or a 400 f/5.6 to go with my new 7D. The 400 seems under appreciated due to the lack of IS, but the sharpness and AF performance makes it a pretty nice lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma
I bought a Canon 400 f/5.6L, just in time for the weather to suck. This lens is difficult to just pick up and use, takes a steady hand, good monopod, and good technique, especially combined with the 7D AF system which I'm also getting used to. The AF speed is ridiculous though. I'm not too happy with the results I got today, I just think of these as practice.

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma

constant gulping posted:

I picked up this lens not too long ago also. Although I'm still getting use to it, I really am starting to like it.

Those look great. It was sunny today so I went out again. Not a lot of activity this time of year on Alki, but I got a couple better shots.

I'm still not sure that my lens is perfectly OK. I'm getting a LOT of CA on some shots, and some weird softness and bad bokeh. I thought it was lens/camera shake, but at 1/2500, that shouldn't be an issue.

I wish the buffleheads (last image) would get closer to shore, but they stay pretty far away, making me crop way down.

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma

I've had mixed luck with that, but it's worth a try.

7D & 400 f/5.6L:

http://jleblanc.smugmug.com/Nature/Black-River/11885258_nAfEE

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma
The rare hoversparrow:

Pretty common little guys: