Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

I have really enjoyed all of your bird shots. I only just got my DLSR, and my longest lens is my 55-250. I've been shooting a lot of pelicans since they are out eating just off the coast every day, and good practice. This is probably the best shot technically I've gotten of one, but I know I can do better.

How do you track birds successfully? I've been watching them with both eyes open, so I can see if any of the other birds wheeling in the air are doing anything interesting, but it definitely feels hard to focus on so many things at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

All I've gotten recently. I'm going on a hike this weekend which will hopefully be more fruitful.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

I tried to get lower down when I shot the ducks today. It's not easy since the lagoon is built with walkways that extend over the water, but the angle is definitely better.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Hello bird thread. After being dumb for too long, I'm getting back into shooting. Here's the only decent bird shot I've had in a while, a Tristam's Grackle from Israel this summer.

Tristam's Grackle by jadeilyn, on Flickr

torgeaux posted:

What do you do about weeds, dammit?

through the weeds by torgeaux, on Flickr

Also, torgeaux, I like the weeds in the shot, it makes it look like you were able to sneak up on the pelican.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Turd Nelson posted:

Confinement by Jenseales, on Flickr

Just gorgeous, and you nailed the focus too.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Here's a Western Scrub Jay as it was taking off. I started getting hits for this picture right after I posted it and wondered why for a half second until I remembered that I named it Bird Butt. Guess what the fine members of flickr were searching for?

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Nope, one of two at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I love macaws but they can be so goddamn dramatic

Theatre, Darling by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Just fantastic!

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Getting back into photography after a long lapse due to the pandemic. I got a new camera and lens (Fuji X-T4, Fujinon XF 70-300mm), and it's been fun to get familiar with them.

This Muscovy duck was hanging out at a local park:

Muscovy duck by Elanna, on Flickr

These are zoo shots, but I'm still happy with how they came out. Focus peaking is amazing.

Flamingos by Elanna, on Flickr

Vasa Parrot by Elanna, on Flickr

Burrowing Owl by Elanna, on Flickr

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Yawn by Elanna, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Zoo birds, but still:

Ostrich by Elanna, on Flickr

We lucked out, this ostrich was eating right up next to the edge of the enclosure and popped its head up to check us out.

Rhinoceros Hornbill by Elanna, on Flickr

This hornbill was very involved with taking a bath in the mister.