Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
To add to the "feeder" idea I find placing seed behind a stick or put some in a small hole in the ground works as you can get the birds feeding and shoot them without having to shoot around a feeder.

Some examples:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Kazy posted:

Rivers and ponds can be a great resource for water fowl.

Though this first one was in an amusement park. :v:

I know this was a amusement park BUT, you need to get lower. Ideally you want to be eye level with the bird it makes the photo much more engaging to the viewer. When you are shoot down or up they end up looking like snap shots most of the time. I know this is not always possible but something you should keep in mind.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Kazy posted:

The amusement park one was eye level, the pond was elevated and the ducks were :3:

The last one was at a bird sanctuary in Port Aransas, was pretty much a marsh with an elevated walkway so it would've been impossible for me to go lower. :(

Depending on how high the walkway is and if you have a tripod you can put the tripod off the edge. I do this at a local place I shoot at. There is a floating walkway and I put my tripod in water and lay on the boardwalk with the camera on the tripod in the water.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

jackpot posted:

From the way these are overexposed and blurry, I'd almost bet money that you were on aperture priority and the camera decided to slow things way down to catch the waning light. I used to use Av all the time, now I hardly trust it at all, it's cost me too many good photos.

I had the same problem I have been shooting in manual for a year or two and have not looked back. Once you get the hang of it, you have much much better control and depending on your camera is not much slower.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Was out shooting landscapes when this guy dropped by.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Ingraman posted:

Where do you guys live where you can get all these great shots of pelicans/egrets/herons? The ones here in MA all seem to fly away at the slightest movement. This is as close as I got to a heron with a 500mm lens:

I have a short lens so I have had to learn how to get close to them. Take your time be patient and just try to get as close as you can.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Giving my new lens a try.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

tiercel posted:

This is a fabulous behavioral shot.

Yeah he/she put on quite a show for me.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Interrupting Moss posted:

Nicely done, looking for birds can be incredibly frustrating, yesterday I spent nearly 2 hours at a local bird sanctuary all I managed to find where a few Mallard ducks :(

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One from the weekend, not sure what it is.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Testing my new ballhead and found this guy, never could get a good angle.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

diarrhea for girls posted:

drat, I love action shots like that. Very nice catch!

Is that with your crazy long lens you just got? Great looking shots, but this one stands out to me, I think it's the crazy looking feathers everywhere.

Yes with that lens although it is not that long and I forgot my TC. Had terrible luck with birds lately.

some form last weekend I just remembered.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
A large flock of gulls roosting.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One from today.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Curufin posted:

Puffin! Mykines, Faroe Islands

Puffins! Mykines, Faroe Islands

Jealous of the Puffins, would love to see some sometime, nice shots.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One from the weekend and one from today.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One from today:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Clayton Bigsby posted:

That is excellent. What lens did you use? It has that nice supertele looking background. :)

Nikon 200-400 F4, 400mm wide open, it is dreamy wide open.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Nice. I wish Canon would at some point offer a 200-400/4 but it seems like it'll never happen. That one and an IS version of my 400/5.6 would be something I'd pay dearly for. :)

I also wish Nikon would make a 400 f4 so I guess we are kind of even :P

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Arinel posted:

This looks a little washed out on this screen (but I can't tell because I am on my laptop). So excuse the lack of realistic colour.

This is wonderful, where was it shot?

Near a tiny old logging community on Vancouver Island, Jordan River

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I normally dont do much post work, if you can see the horizon and it is not straight I will correct it. For the most part I just do some minor tweaks to saturation, sharpening etc.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
One from yesterday.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Male Hooded Merganser

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

SKULE123 posted:

This post isn't exactly a bird picture, but I noticed a lot more flickr hits than normal today and was excited to see that a popular travel blog had picked my puffin picture of a couple of pages back for their photo of the day.

http://www.gadling.com/2010/01/09/photo-of-the-day-01-09-09/

Just wanted to share with my goon bird photo buds, since I probably wouldn't have submitted it without the encouragement from this thread. :)

I subscribe to that blog and I was 98% sure that was a goons photo, nice work. I have actually been featured on their a few times :)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Song Sparrow.

PS, this site is great for looking for an ID. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Canadian Goose getting ready to nest.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Male Hooded Merganser

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Bewick's Wren

Ring-necked Duck (male)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
A juvenile Cooper's hawk.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
A quick guess is the Common Grackle, but not too sure.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Grackle/id

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
You can kind of see it on its back, a lot of that colour would depend on the light but hard to say for sure.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Probably a raven then, look like a bigger crow.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Pretty sure it is a killdeer, they tend to nest in gravel or rocks like yours has.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Killdeer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

William T. Hornaday posted:

A type of heron, I believe.

Looks like a great blue heron but the angle is a bit strange.