Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've moved to a more quiet, rural-ish seaside suburb that has a lot more bird life. Not used to getting woken up by morning bird calls instead of police sirens. Refreshing.

Anyway, here is a bush stone-curlew that I found on my street trying it on with a Buddha statue. I think this is a territorial display or mating dance? Either way, that statue is going to cop it.

And they make this call, usually at the same time every night, just as I drift off to sleep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZWHUU41gsk

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Bustard? The expression on this guy is priceless.

Nah, a bush stone-curlew - Australian bird.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Raikyn posted:

Tui
Tui by Marc, on Flickr

So good!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've been chasing far Eastern curlews on mudlfats along the coast for the last couple of months. This is the big feeding time for their migration to China/Siberia, leaving from Australia at the end of March. It's a bit of an effort waddling out over ankle deep mud to get a nice set up and not spook them. Super frustrating shooting in a shared coastal location though. I don't know how many times where I'd just get set up and someone would then let their dog off it's leash, making all the birds scatter. Everytime they have to fly it burns off muscle for their big flight, meaning they have to spend more time eating, which also means they might miss the good weather when they do leave.

Anyways, I used a Z6 and surprisingly a Z50. I don't own any teleconverters, but the Z50 did an ok job with the 200-500. Not the greatest of auto focus, but it handled what I threw at it. Pretty good for a webcam :laugh:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Off leash dogs in natural spaces are such a pet peeve of mine. There's an awesome park area outside of Portland that used to be a great birding area with frequent migrants and rarities that turned into a defacto dog park since the park rangers gave up enforcing the leash laws. Its basically impossible to bird there anymore with people running dogs everywhere, shouting and yelling after them. Super bummer. I love dogs but man, some dog owners can be real entitled assholes

I think if people understood that these spots are important for migratory birds they might stop it, but.. haha.. who am I kidding!

I did find going out during the week the best since no one was be out - the weekends were a cluster gently caress though.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Bush stone curlew.

Territorial superb fariy wren.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

seravid posted:

Dang what a badass

Napoleon complex in bird form

Megabound posted:

Bush Stone Curlews are rad but gently caress the ones in particular that live in front of our house. Their calls are not soothing at 1am.

I hear them in the distance all throughout the night, I can only imagine how calming a 1am call outside your window would be.

For those that don't know..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB8T0dV5YNA

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Hello bird thread.

Willie wagtail.

Wedge-tailed eagle.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I have a backlog of images to edit.. so be prepared for me to spam this thread over the next few months.

Here's a couple of baby Noisy Miner birds. Noisy Miners are probably the world’s worst bird. They are a bird with no real purpose. An awful bird. They move into an environment, push out all the important smaller native birds (such as those that eat insects and tree destroying beetles) and kind of take over the place. They attack anything that happens to venture into their territory and just generally act like sugar water fuelled shits. They're a native Australian bird (need I say more) and so can't be illegally culled (since being native). They're a literal pest and over time end up making areas bland and dead in terms of bird diversity. The reason they’ve flourished in cities and regional areas is mostly because of tree/land clearing, gardens in suburbs with no low-level garden shrubs (for smaller birds) and an over planting of native flowering trees - which is their main food source.

But anyways, here's 2 inbred sacks of poo poo:

Here's a better bird. A nice and good bird. The Great Eastern Egret. This bird has a purpose and also looks elegant.

This is a Noisy Friarbird. An absolutely hideous bird, but still full of personality. It is, afterall, what's inside that counts. But in this case (like all honey eaters), it's sugar water and hate.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Slotducks posted:

How? HOW?

This looks incredible - the lighting, the contrast, the clarity of subject - how!

Cheers! It's just the right amount of morning light. I shot between some branches to give it that vignette look too - then upped that a bit when editing.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nice!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Cheers!

That guy was right outside my front door, he had two little chicklets running round - which also make the same sound, only higher pitched.

I love these dumb birds

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Speaking of which:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Terrific!

Slotducks posted:

Caught a cool candid moment at a popular birding area round me:
Just palin' around with a Trumpeter Swan

haha that's great!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’ve just found a rather quiet people-less location that is just full of small birds. It’s heaven :laugh:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've been using a Panasonic S5 with a Sigma 150-600 Sports for bird'n which surprisingly hasn't been that bad. Auto focus takes some getting used to but generally I've been getting some really great results with it. It's my main work camera for video so I'd prefer to not get salt water or rain on it, so might look at something more outdoor friendly like the OM-1.. not sure though. But anyways, here a couple of shots with this setup:

Male superb fairy wren:

Not sure on the ID.. maybe a Red-Necked Stint? Don't think it's a Sanderling. It was super tiny and sprinted along the sand like a little toy.

White ibis. I watched this guy for about 10 minutes trying to climb up this branch. Being a wading bird with wading feet doesn't help that much for perch work.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Slotducks posted:

Thank you!
I put more time into one of the shots I got and turned this out:

Used the holy trinity for this, Lightroom, Denoise, AND Photoshop

Just terrific, great stuff!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

cool boids

Kookaburra portrait

Magpie calling at sunset

Couple of Gallahs..

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

drat. How do you get so close?

All of these were shot at 600mm, with no cropping.

The 1st one landed on the railing of my patio while I was BBQing. It’s actually a juvenile kookaburra but someone in the neighbourhood must of been feeding it since it was really tame around me. It was probably 1 metre away.. not sure what that is in feet. I didn’t feed it, but it watched my grilling very intently.

For the last 2, I stayed at a cabin with a bird seed feeder and these guys would always arrive for their 6am/4pm daily feedings. Kinda tame, but not. I could walk up to them about 2 metres away, any closer and they’d freak out.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah, I feel the same. There’s something about altering wild behaviours that I’m not a fan off. Plus its cheating to get those baited photos.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

So little. So angry. :laugh:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

Kittiwake by Aves Lux, on Flickr

The red status Kittiwake a coastal breeding only gull.

Wow the colour around the eye, incredible detail!

Here's a Superb Fairy-wren going through his eclipse plumage moult just after breeding season:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Incredible!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yes yes very nice!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yes, that's the stuff!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

bobmarleysghost posted:

For full effect turn up the audio

https://i.imgur.com/FcL83Qj.mp4

Creepy. Why not try the Catbird on for size:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylLKHdVlMHY

here is a boid (juvenile Kookaburra):

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Jerm324 posted:

Went to check out my local Peregrine Falcon fledglings again and one was carrying around a flower. Perhaps practicing carrying prey? Then they went and played/fought with their sibling

Unreal!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

hello

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Matey needs a bib!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Hard to follow awesome Hummingbird shots (great shots btw!), so here is an Ibis making GBS threads.

https://i.imgur.com/wyK2BVG.mp4

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Pied Butcherbird

What is it with honey eaters being highly curious shitheads? This is a Noisy Miner bird (native Australian pest).

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Here is a Pied Currawong.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Male Satin Bowerbird

Female Satin Bowerbird

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The males go absolutely nuts for anything blue. I was at a campsite and someone had left a basket full of clothes pegs out, when you'd come out in the morning the pegs would be scattered and all the blue ones would be missing.

Not sure if related to their eye though heh

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

p0stal b0b posted:

gently caress, man, warn a guy first...

I need a clean pair of shorts...

my pleasure ;)