Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

It's time to get a little Captain in you!
Posted these in SAD but birds are birds so here they are. These were shot with the Canon EF-S 55-250 f4-5.6. I went out to shoot some leaves or something and this sucker was right there! He hung out for a few minutes until another bird chased him away. At 250mm this is about as close as I could get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

Birds, birds, birds! I love Birds!

Any ID on this one? I believe it's some kind of heron.

Some Muscovy ducks:

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

diarrhea for girls posted:

Turkey Vulture:

Ooh! Awesome Vulture. This is what I was going for with my pelican.

Road Runner (meep meep):

Pelican:

Black-Crowned Night Heron:

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

drat, I don't know how I'm gonna follow that eagle shot but here's a Black-Crowned Night Heron. He's not a fatass like my previous one.

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

Bahama.Llama posted:

Looking good. Did you find him in a reserve or out and about somewhere?

I took this shot at a bird sanctuary for injured birds but he wasn't part of an enclosure. Many birds from all over would just fly by and hang around in hopes of a free lunch.

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

I just caught this ad on TV and ended up with the same :saddowns: look on my face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btk3v5Ni8cY

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

First bird with my new 7D

Hooray for Black-Capped Chickadee-dee-dee-dee-dees!

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

drat, these are just surreal.

I know this is a lot but I had a really good bird day today!

This is as close as I could get before the bugger took off:

A Birdy Love Story: In four parts

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

El Diablo visited my bird feeder today:

Lovely little bastard. Your photos are so sharp you practically stabbed me in the face.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

We got our first hummingbirds last night so I relaxed outside with a beer and my camera.

I love hummingbirds! These are great.

Tragedy has struck me today. I've dropped my EF-S 55-250mm IS telephoto the other day. At first glance, there was only light cosmetic damage to the outside casing but I discovered today that while images come out just as sharp as before, the IS simply stopped working. For handholding is was pretty essential. I am looking into the repair option but I also think it might be a good to upgrade. I've been flirting with the Canon 100-400 IS but it's just too drat expensive.

What would be a good interim birding lens that's a step up from the 55-250mm but that I can sell and trade up for a 100-400 when I'm in better financial shape. This has become one of my favorite hobbies and never fails to relax me when i'm in a bad mood. Something about the silly tittering around of birds just makes me smile. I really hope I can keep on doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCaptain
Dec 5, 2005

scottch posted:

save up for a longer lens rather than set yourself back for a repair or a "good enough" lens in the interim.

It's a LOT different than the 55-250 and can be used as a weapon in a melee fight. :)

If IS is critical to you though, the 100-400 can't be beat and you'd probably be best off just trying to make do with your current lens until you can save up for it. Not the most fun answer, but it might save you a couple bucks in the long run. :)

Yeah, I think you guys are probably right. I'm going to keep an eye on KEH for a month or two and start putting money away for the 1-4. I actually was looking at the 50-500 but ending up getting a bit intimidated by the sheer size of the thing. But yeah it would be totally useful in fighting off gryphons.

In the meantime, I can still join the party from time to time assuming great lighting and ridiculous ISOs. I mean just take a look at this handsome fellow!