Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ipecac
Feb 24, 2005

I think you need to meet Bad Bad Leroy Brown.
He is (supposedly) a lab x ridgeback. He was rescued as a tiny pup from an Aboriginal settlement in northern NSW (in Australia) on New Years Day, 2007. He was fostered by the RSPCA for 9 months before we adopted him. He was in the Last Chance Club.

'Helping' with the garden.

Playing with the hose.

Being good.

Being comfy.

As a tiny puppy- this photo is what made us adopt him. Look at the face!

He LOVES chasing anything and everything, and barking at the fence, and sleeping, and cuddles, and dinner. He is the best dog, and a great brother to Rocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsecretK
Dec 10, 2004
This is my oldest mutt. I adopted Hanna off Craiglist at 13 years old and she will be 15 soon. She is getting pretty stiff and her eyesight and hearing are going but other than that she is in pretty good shape. I think she is some type of collie mix. She is not the brightest crayon in the box but she is a sweet old girl. She also has a very strange whine/bark. She sounds like a goose honking. It gets so loud that I am sure the neighbors think that I beat my dog when I get home from work. Her nickname is Goose Goose.

This is my second oldest. I adopted Queenie from a friend when she was 10 months and she in now almost 12 years old. She is a major couch potato. All she does is sleep, eat and go outside for potty. She is obviously part Dalmatian but she was purchased from a BYB when the 101 Dalamatian craze was going on. You can tell she has something else mixed in there. She is very protective and very stubborn.

And my newest and youngest mutt is Gracie at 5 years old. I also adopted her off Craigslist. She is part shephard and yellow lab, at least that is what they told me. She is a very sweet and smart dog. She learns very quickly. This can sometimes work against you.

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop
This is Sully. He's an Australian shepherd mixed with checker board (he still has his tail, too! It's super fluffy). His litter was picked up by a truck driver in Georgia, but all the other puppies died :(

The trucker and Sully made it all the way to California, where he was adopted by another family. The family thought he was too timid and high maintenance so they brought him back to the shelter.

As soon as the lady on the phone said "reject dog," my dad was sold.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

He's brilliant and sweet (and loves car rides), but he's still insanely shy. We're working on it.

This is Lex, she's a lab, I guess?

She's like the happiest dog ever, a funny contrast to Sully.

I'm really a terrible photographer.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Savahontas posted:

This is Lex, she's a lab, I guess?

OMG lookit all the feet! How old is she?

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop

Scary Ned posted:

OMG lookit all the feet! How old is she?

I'm guessing like ... 8 weeks in that photo? Now she's like a year old and still surprisingly small. I guess I'm used to kittens looking like full grown cats overnight.

Bombajio
Jan 23, 2006

Hasta la vista, meatbag!

Little_Dead_Pets posted:

It's been too long since we've had a good mutts thread! :dance:
This is Vinnie, my folks' recently adopted setter/pointer/something and some of his friends.

Heey! I have a tiny version of your dog! ... Or you have a big version of my dog...

atomic johnson posted:

Here are two 7-week-old mutt puppies Daphne and Darla

And one of them loks almost exactly like mine used to.

Here's Dotty (Or Täpik, like we call her)!

She used to be small and chubby, and had a white spot on her nose which gave her her name.

Now she's slim and scruffy. Sheds a lot and has quite the temper, but I love her!

(she sleeps inside at nights during the winter and is sometimes chained up in the day 'cause she has a bad habit of terrorizing bikers passing by our house, no dog abuse going on here!)

I don't know what she is. Got her through a newspaper ad. Her mom was small and scruffy, and that is sadly all I remember of her. The owner had no idea who the father was.

She looks like some sort of terrier to me...

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008
I'm a scientist. My opinions are other people's facts.
Hey all.

This is Duke, the 4-5 mo. old whatsit and my current foster dog.

I've had him about 3 weeks now, and am seriously considering formally adopting him. He was given to me as a "lab mix", I thought the good folks at PI might have a better idea of what he might be a mix /of/.

Unfortunately, I don't have a stacked pic of him, but these show his coloration and general head shape. He's currently 20-25lbs, but he's got pretty big feet.

Laiinkyree
Mar 11, 2009

Oh boy!
badnoodle, I'm not sure what kind of dog he is, but he's VERY cute!

I want to say pit...but I'm not totally sure. Maybe a hound of some sort? Those ears are huge and floppy and adorable!

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008
The pit factor is what makes me leery of taking the plunge. Not because I have any aversion to pibbles, but my bastard HOA and homeowner's insurance have unkind things to say about pits, staffies, GSDs, rotties, dobies, chows, or "Obvious mixes of the aforementioned breeds".

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

badnoodle posted:

The pit factor is what makes me leery of taking the plunge. Not because I have any aversion to pibbles, but my bastard HOA and homeowner's insurance have unkind things to say about pits, staffies, GSDs, rotties, dobies, chows, or "Obvious mixes of the aforementioned breeds".

That's why he is listed as a "lab mix". He's therefore a lab mix, nothing to worry about, no speculating, sounds like a great fit for your HOA and no reason to dig deeper! =]

Hey you're just following instructions and listening to the people who should know (whatever organization gave you the dog to foster). Nothing else to it.

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008
It's the "obvious mix" clause that gets me. If he looks like an obvious pit mix to other people, he meets the criteria. This is espeically important with regard to my my insurance company. Failure to register an animal that met their "dangerous dogs" requirements would result in denial of any claims. At least, that's what the rep said when I called to ask.

On the other hand, I would not want to register a dog that was not an obivous mix, since it would cost me a fair chunk of change every year, money that could be spent spoiling the bugger rotten. I am happy to see that at least my insurance does not deem only the bully breeds to be "dangerous" but also the traditional guard dog breeds.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

He has a little pibble around the face but if he's as skinny as he looks in the picture I doubt anyone would call it obvious. He is a lab cross so just call him that. Remember we're kind of dog crazy in this forum so something that's obvious to us isn't to most people who just see "cute doggie".

Super cute mutts ITT. I really miss my childhood dog Duchess, she looked a lot like Rusty color-wise (black on top tan on the legs/belly/face) but smooth very fine short hair and her tail curled up into a circle. I always wonder wtf she was, but I don't have the picture here.

Edit: After doing a bunch of research she had to have been a black and tan Coonhound mix of some kind. She looked exactly like one in fur texture and markings except she had lab-type perk up ears and a very thin (not lab at all) face and the tail curved over into a loop instead of standing up. I remember her being a great hunting dog and boy she could bay if something was wrong.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 8, 2009

trigger
Oct 31, 2003

Chasing rabbits on the flip side
The pibble in him looks pretty dilute right now, but as he gets older it may become more apparent.

I say you should go for it anyway, because he is just so god drat cute. What does your HOA and/or insurance actually say? Are they outright banned, or do you just have to register them? What insurance do you have? I have AAA for home insurance, and they had to add a clause to our policy (I have a pibble), but I did not have to increase any of the liability coverage.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
badnoodle, he only looks a little pitty in the face. If he doesn't have a skinny whip-tail, I doubt most people would be able to tell. Besides, you could always call him a lab/boxer mix.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

I'd say you're good, I have seen plenty of VERY VERY obvious pits and pit mixes at the dog park or at the pet store and I always make the mistake of going "Oh what a cute pibble" and I usually get corrected by the owners telling me it's actually a lab mix or a boxer mix not a pitbull. Plus, 99% of people think that pits are supposed to be 90lbs baby eating monsters like Gotti dogs so I doubt the average layperson would call that dog a pit or pit mix.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
Most people think pits should look like this:

I think you'll be all right. :)

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008

trigger posted:

The pibble in him looks pretty dilute right now, but as he gets older it may become more apparent.

I say you should go for it anyway, because he is just so god drat cute. What does your HOA and/or insurance actually say? Are they outright banned, or do you just have to register them? What insurance do you have? I have AAA for home insurance, and they had to add a clause to our policy (I have a pibble), but I did not have to increase any of the liability coverage.

The HOA says that any dog of a breed commonly used for fighting or substantially similar to those breeds (read: crosses) must be leashed *and* muzzled on the park and greenspace.

Insurance (Sentinel) just wants $75 extra a year for a "dangerous dog".

Anyway, Duke didn't get adopted this afternoon, so he's with me another week at least while I make up my mind. :)

Little_Dead_Pets
Jul 3, 2006

^what about calling him a lab/redbone coonhound mix? I dunno just a random idea.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Just pick a random name off the AKC breed list that no one's heard of, they'll never care enough to check I'll bet. Lab/Xoloitzcuintli mix! Pick something that's commonly brown if you're worried. :P

Laiinkyree
Mar 11, 2009

Oh boy!
Do you think lab/weimaraner mix would do it?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Laiinkyree posted:

Do you think lab/weimaraner mix would do it?

Or lab/vizsla?

trigger
Oct 31, 2003

Chasing rabbits on the flip side
Eh, call him a lab mix because that's what your paperwork says. Keep him, he is so cute. :) And lab + weim sounds pretty plausible.

If he happens to disappear in the middle of the night, I was at home watching TV. :ninja:

Edit: Ooh, maybe lab + rhodesian ridgeback? Eh, maybe not, Viszla sounds better. ^^

trigger fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 9, 2009

Laiinkyree
Mar 11, 2009

Oh boy!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Or lab/vizsla?

That's the dog I was thinking of, but couldn't put a name to the picture in my head! Thank you :D Even if he is part pit, I doubt anyone would ever have a clue. Hell, I've had people say what a pretty chocolate lab I have :P

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Bombajio posted:

[Dotty the dog]

I don't know what she is. Got her through a newspaper ad. Her mom was small and scruffy, and that is sadly all I remember of her. The owner had no idea who the father was.

She looks like some sort of terrier to me...

She's definitely got a terrier face. I have no idea what the other part is, though.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
A coworker of mine recently got a family dog after searching the shelters for several months. No way were they going to get a pitbull, the shelters were full of them and they just didn't want the liability. They got a lovely dog that the kids bring over to visit all the time. According to his eleven year old, she's a "black lab/great dane/dalmatian mix".

(She's a really obvious lab/pit mix. Shhhhh!)

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Although this dog belongs to my best friends family (if its not okay to post this I'll remove it), it's pretty much exactly what I love in a dog (huuuuge, fluffy and friendly) I thought I'd share Hunter. He's 4-5mo old, is about as tall as me when he put his paws on my shoulders (I'm 5'7" and yes I told him to get down).

I'm thinking bear x moose.

I think they might have the dna thingy that tells what he actually is, but I'm thinking maaaybe part duck tolling retriever? He's sort of got the markings and fluffy tail and head shape. His tail does curl up like a husky, which my friend thinks he has in him. If I find out for sure what he is, I'll let you guys know :) And he has crimped looking fur around his ears and butt :3:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Whispering Machines posted:

Although this dog belongs to my best friends family (if its not okay to post this I'll remove it), it's pretty much exactly what I love in a dog (huuuuge, fluffy and friendly) I thought I'd share Hunter. He's 4-5mo old, is about as tall as me when he put his paws on my shoulders (I'm 5'7" and yes I told him to get down).

I think they might have the dna thingy that tells what he actually is, but I'm thinking maaaybe part duck tolling retriever? He's sort of got the markings and fluffy tail and head shape. His tail does curl up like a husky, which my friend thinks he has in him. If I find out for sure what he is, I'll let you guys know :) And he has crimped looking fur around his ears and butt :3:

THIS DOG IS AWESOME HOLY poo poo

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Geez, if I didn't know better I'd say it WAS part bear . . . look at his face!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

I Love You! posted:

THIS DOG IS AWESOME HOLY poo poo

Seriously i would stop my car to get out and play with this dog if i saw him being walked, i am dead serious

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Can I post some recent action shots of Leela?

Look at these loving ears.

I am holding the chuck-it in this one.

Nice and cool in the shade of the picnic table.

little green jewel
Oct 27, 2003

tO DIE WILL BE, uHH, aN AWFULLY BIG ADVENTURE,

Awww, he reminds me of the old Aussie my aunt used to have. Razz wasn't that fluffy, but that's almost exactly his face and coloring. Beautiful dog, by the way. I think I'd drop what I was doing to play with a dog like him too. :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
We adopted our new pup about two weeks ago from a rescue. The shelter and rescue say she's Pharaoh Hound/Pit Bull/maybe German Shepherd. They think her mom is a Pharaoh Hound/Pit Bull mix and they assume the father was a German Shepherd because a lot of the puppies looked like they were Shepherds though Eris doesn't that much. She's brown brindle with white on her nose (the only pup with identical face markings to her mom), on her chest, and the very tip of her tail.

Here is her mom, she had a stray bullet fragment hit her in the eye so she lost it :(

Here is Eris the day we got her (as you can see she gets the pink nose/blush when she's happy):

Here is Eris a few days ago, her ears stand up more and more every day :)

rivals fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 14, 2009

sincub
Mar 14, 2007

pet me or I will nibble your skin off
Scout came from a cemetery. She was a super cute puppy.

We have no idea what she is. She is awesome, though.

This is Luna, which turned out to be short for Lunatic.

She's an odd one.

We believe she's an awkward mix of blue heeler, boxer, and lab. She has a little head and a big, goofy body.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
This was when I first got her. I volunteered at a local shelter but didn't see any dogs that clicked and decided to putz around Petfinder. She was only an hour and a half away so I went to check her out and as I was contemplating the adoption a family came in to look at her.. I signed the adoption papers behind the family's back and took her home a week later after she was spayed. This was in 2005. They say she's a husky/Australian shepherd mix, but some people say she looks more Catahoula Leopard Dog than Aussie.. beats me, she's AWESOMEDOG for all I care.
(btw self hosted)

She taught me a lot about puppy proofing things and cost me a lot of emergency vet visits in something like a 2 month span. She ate part of my Monty Python DVD..plus a bottle of mixed OTC pain meds which cost a charcoal stomach pump and had lots of charcoal-y shits for a few days.

She still acts like a puppy and tops at about 40lbs but that's OK because she rocks.

She had an extraordinarily expensive venomous snakebite incident earlier this year putting me almost $1500 in debt to a friend's dad that graciously covered the $730 E-vet cost and extra vet costs that my paychecks couldn't cover in such a short span. That man is amazing. Thankfully she recovered with a small scar on her back leg but at the time it was grossly swollen (like putting an obese dog's leg on her body) and I was freaking out.

Now she's back to being stupid and awesome. :3:

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Shes beautiful! I can't wait to own a dog one day.. :allears: I love my cats but nothing compares to the fun and goofiness of a dog.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I was told this is a poodle/chihuahua mix but I don't see any chihuahua in it at all. Any ideas?

once my dog hosed dis other dog and it was cute the end

Dr. Video Games 0089 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 14, 2009

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

I Love You! posted:

Seriously i would stop my car to get out and play with this dog if i saw him being walked, i am dead serious

Uh, anybody that didn't is blind or loving heartless that loving dog is awesome and oh my god I would pay the owners to let me dogsit, I swear to god.

This thread makes me want a dog baddddddddd

And makes me miss my mom's sweetheart sheltie whatever mixes that I love dearly. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of them, but they rule hard. They lay around on the couch in the living room and watch the TV while it's turned off so they can see if the neighbor dog comes out by checking the reflection. Gotta get to that sliding glass door and bark as much as possible as quickly as possible. And the bigger sister likes to run obstacle courses, so we think there's some border collie in there somewhere, who knows. They were mutts that we got for free from somebody at church like 12 years ago or something.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

little green jewel posted:

Awww, he reminds me of the old Aussie my aunt used to have. Razz wasn't that fluffy, but that's almost exactly his face and coloring. Beautiful dog, by the way. I think I'd drop what I was doing to play with a dog like him too. :3:

That thing is like a Aussie/Great Dane jesus christ

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

sincub posted:

This is Luna, which turned out to be short for Lunatic.

She's an odd one.

We believe she's an awkward mix of blue heeler, boxer, and lab. She has a little head and a big, goofy body.

I don't see anything but heeler in there, they come in some pretty variable shapes when their not being bred for the showring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Tess (so imaginative), got her from a rescue centre, they said alsatian+something, which at the time seemed reasonable, but she never grew anywhere near as big as that.

http://img27.picoodle.com/img/img27/5/11/20/f_NewImagesmam_46afbc5.jpg

http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/5/11/20/f_vdvsmallm_c3dc570.jpg&srv=img27

http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/5/11/20/f_gsmallm_0801585.jpg&srv=img27