Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Caffeine Samurai posted:

This is Momo, my wife and I have no idea what she is besides the best dog ever.

Wow she does have Corgi-ish ears, and they can have markings very much like that too. For an example, here's our Cardigan Corgi. Our girl is black and white, but they come in tri-color too.

Edit: I'm going to guess Corgi, Smooth Collie, maybe some GSD or other herding breed.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I Love You! posted:

I do not believe that is a mutt ITT :colbert:

What are you talking about? She's obviously a Border Collie/Dachshund mix. :colbert:

(seriously, people have stopped me on the street and asked this)

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 2, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I Love You! posted:

Her BC pattern and nose spots make me giggle every time, it's like someone slapped 'em down on the first dog they saw and just went, "ah gently caress it".

Haha. I have such :downs: pets. When we got her, my friends were like "You got ANOTHER weird mutant animal?"

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Carebear posted:

Generic brown dog, anyone?

German Shepherd... with what? A few times I've caught him pointing. I don't think he knew what he was doing. He will fetch some, but mostly just likes to RUN! He also sleeps a lot, though. He's 52 lbs. The fur around his neck has grown in really thick.

Anyone ever waste money on one of those DNA dog test things? I saw some talk earlier about it in this thread. I'm seriously considering it.. I HAVE TO KNOW!

Definitely pure grade-A brown dog. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if he's got some lab going on, maybe some kind of shepherd or collie too. Really though, he's probably a mix of a mix of a mix. If you look at the common and popular breeds in that size range, he's probably got a bit of each of them.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Stregone posted:

GSD/something. That is an unmistakably GSD face. Especially in that last pic, that expression is classic GSD.

I see expressions like that in a lot of herding dogs, not just GSD. My corgi even makes a face like that sometimes. Again, I'd say the ears are very corgi-ish, the body looks like a smooth collie, or it could be mixed up with some other herding breed. I have seen collie/GSD mixes or collie/ACD mixes that looked kind of similar, but not with those ears.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

nbraunstein posted:

My one and a half year old puppy. Not quite sure what kind of mix she is but she sure is a great dog. I've heard she resembles and shows a lot of coyote traits but all I see is german shepherd and blue healer...any ideas anyone? sorry for the large pictures....

I saw a beautiful ACD (Blue Heeler) a couple of days ago that had a face very much like that.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

thethuthinnang posted:

This is Bacchus. I picked him up from the Humane Society yesterday. He's five months old. They said he's a German Shepherd mix. I was thinking the other part was some sort of hound but a lot of people at work are convinced he's got pit bull in him.

What would you call his coat color? Is it sable or simply black/tan? I know sable is common in GSDs (which might be why the shelter said GSD), but honestly coat color might not be the best thing to go on. I wish I new more about dog genetics and coloration though...

Also he's very cute.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

snarkcookie posted:

Looking very cattle dog.

Also just because :3

Mmmmmmm, toesssss.

And Kali11324, I have no idea what your pup is, but he's adorable in a dopey way.

I did a double-take when I saw this dog because she made me think of Miss Indy's blue merle Cardigan Corgi, Zeke.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 14, 2010

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

snarkcookie posted:

Keira is just chillin'. She sits in the strangest ways.

Both pics are from my cell, I guess natural lighting is just a million times better.

Where did you get Keira from? Those ears still make me think cardigan corgi-ish. It's not a common breed, but they are still used for herding cows, and according to the national breed rescue site, cattle dog x cardigan corgi is one of the most common crosses they see. I believe there's a 50% chance of normal length legs in mixes.

Again, for reference, here's a goon-owned cardi.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 12, 2010

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

snarkcookie posted:

She came from a shelter in GA, all the way up to NJ for a huge adoption event. Listed as a Australian Shepherd/Catahoula Leopard dog mix, but I have no idea if that is based on opinion or what since the booth the shelter had was just chaotic and disorganized, so I didn't really get a chance to ask. The people I mostly dealt with, since we had been approved for adoption at the event for this particular puppy, were volunteers who were not affiliated with the shelter so it seemed like more trouble then it was worth to try to ask.

She's just about 8 months now, and just hit 60 pounds. I think its clear there some cattle dog in there, and she does have webbed feet so Catahoula is viable, who knows perhaps some Corgi too, although everyone that sees her, especially when she's alert thinks her ears look very German Shepherd.

The coloration is very similar though that's for sure, but that sort of merle coloration isn't just exclusive to Corgis. I didn't know that about cattle dog x cardigan corgi mixes, that is interesting.

Interesting. I was mostly wondering if she was from an area where working cattle dogs were common. Seeing as she's from GA though, Catahoula is probably more likely. Of course blue merle comes up in a variety of breeds, but most of them are herding breeds I think. Still it's interesting. No matter what her heritage is, she's a gorgeous dog.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Wide Area Network posted:

Aside from Brown Dog, which I am totally happy with, can anyone hazard a guess?

Looks like some pibble in this guy. Other than that, brown dog.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

a duck posted:

Here is Sheeba, a mix of...something. She followed my stepmom into a bank as a skinny sick puppy and we've had her ever since (about 12 years now). I can't find any puppy pictures though :( The xray of her stomach after swallowing a rubber ducky is still hanging up on the wall of the vet's office.

My guess was boxer/something too. How big is she?

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

CodeWhite posted:

Gorgeous dogs in this thread!! This is our new dog, Voodoo. We rescued her from a no-kill shelter. She'd been there since she was 6 months and is now almost 3 years old. She was adopted out once, but brought back a few months later when the new owners found out they were having a baby. The shelter people said she took it so hard that she wouldn't come out of the kennel to meet new people (when we first saw her she was the only dog not flipping her poo poo. She was laying with her back to the dog-run door, head between her legs, not barking.) They opened the door to let us see her and she actually came out! She was walking like a dog that had no life left in her, she sat in front of me, looked at me and then put her paw on my shoe.

We had to wait til everyone that worked at the shelter had a chance to say goodbye before we took her home. She is now running around the yard, digging and rolling in the dug up dirt etc. Anyway, she's a mix. Any guesses what she may be? (The shelter said Rhodesian Ridgeback, Redbone Coonhound mix.)

She's beautiful. How is she adjusting to being in a home finally? Almost three years in a shelter is terrible. Good for you guys for adopting her.

Shelters will often claim fancy breed names just because it helps for marketing the dogs apparently. She looks like an All-American Brown Dog to me, basically a mix of a mix of a mix, probably with a bunch of common American breeds somewhere in her lineage, but nothing discernible anymore.

Don't be disheartened though, mutts are awesome! Congrats on your new girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Bacteriophage posted:

This is currently unnamed 6 month old pup. My boyfriend and I are trying to agree on an old man name we both like (I'm pushing for Reginald, he likes George - we are welcome to suggestions). What the heck is he? The shelter had him listed as a shepherd mix. Now the boyfriend thinks there may be a little pit in him but, as we've come to find out, the shelter we got him from doesn't adopt out pits or pit mixes so I have no clue what else he could be. Maybe boxer mix? Aren't there only a handful of dogs that have the brindle coloring? He also has the longest tail I've ever seen. Do puppies grow into their tails or something because I swear his almost touches the ground when he's not wagging it around and knocking over glasses.

I love his stupid ears and can't wait until they stand straight up.

Looks like a drat cute brindle mutt. He may or may not have some pit in there, but he's probably a pretty mutted up mix of breeds. Lots of dogs can have brindle coloring, various hounds and sighthounds, bully breeds, terriers, hell even Cardigan Corgis and Daschunds. From what you've said about his long tail, I'd guess maybe some sighthound in there but who knows...

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 23, 2011