Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norwegian Wood
Dec 9, 2006
This is Bocca Agador Spartacus:

Click here for the full 900x824 image.

He is 50% labrador, and I am uncertain of the other 50%.

At first I thought it could be rotweiler, but now I`m leaning more towards German Sheperd.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Wood
Dec 9, 2006

mistaya posted:

My Winston looked JUST like this (except chocolate instead of black) right down to the white blaze. He was supposedly just a farm lab but I've never seen another lab with a white splash on his chest and he was way heavier and stockier than a proper lab with the big bear head and all.

Man this picture brings me back. I miss that dawg. (RIP)

My condolences. So it was a pure lab, only heavily built? Do you have any old pictures?

Norwegian Wood
Dec 9, 2006

Ceridwen posted:

Show labs are extremely heavily built with huge, blocky heads.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but by "Show labs", do you mean labs who participate in competitions?

Norwegian Wood
Dec 9, 2006

Ceridwen posted:

Yea, show labs are those used in confirmation showing. They are typically heavily built with big blocky heads. Almost to the point of looking like a mastiff x lab mix.

Here is a dog from a breeder who raises show-type labs: http://www.wigwaglabradors.com/clintspage.htm

(Note: There is not necessarily anything wrong with these dogs. I don't personally like the look, but many do, and a great many dogs of this type continue to perform well at their "job" of being hunting companions)

Though more heavily built than field labs, show labs are typically shorter, as they have to fit within the breed standard, which calls for a max size for males of 24.5" (much less than what many people think of as the average size for a lab). They may weigh 20-40 pounds more than a field bred lab of similar height though.

Field bred labs have shorter coats, finer heads, and lighter bodies. They are typically taller and may not adhere as well to the breed standard. These are dogs that are used for hunting and field trials (basically simulated hunting). My boss owns two that do extremely well (he's been offered more than 10k for one of them) and they look so different from the show type labs it's hard to believe they are considered the same breed.

Here is an example of a breeder who focuses on field type dogs: http://www.highbrasskennels.com/females.htm

Field type dogs are also usually higher energy.

BYB or "pet bred" labs are a clusterfuck, with almost no consistency in temperament, size, coat, color. There are people breeding blue and silver labs (dogs that have weims mixed in a ways back to give them the dilute gene), people breeding labs that are way oversized compared to the standard (both height and weight) and even people purposely breeding for mismarks such as black and tan or brindle labs.

Wow, thanks. That`s very informative. My dog weighs about 90 pounds and also has white markings on each of his paws.

I had no idea there was such variety in labradors. I`ve always thought that I was lucky that he`s not a purebreed, since pure labs often get hip problems and tend to have an irritating appetite (though this is may be wrong, I don`t know). But from what you said, it may be a chance that he is pure.

Thanks for the info. I`ll inform him of his possible roots :)