Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Captain Foxy posted:

A lot of rescues try to beef up their adoption rates by claiming an exotic or unknown breed is part of the mix, hoping to lure in people who might otherwise turn their nose up at a pit bull mix. Sad, because pits are awesome dogs, but true.

When I was working at the pound, if there was even a chance of a breed that has known issues being part of a mix, we'd put it on the listing. (Since it was the municipal pound, we didn't personally do fosters or keep dogs for very long - that was organized through our contacts and Animal Rescue League.) If it could possibly be part Basenji or border collie, we'd list it to prevent adopters from potentially getting in over their heads. If there was even a long-shot that the dog was part collie, we'd list it so that their vet would know to be careful about heartworm treatment. If the breed was a long-shot guess, though, we'd mention it to the adopter and give the above explanation. So, there's another motivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

FungiCap posted:

This is my friends mutt named Happy and is a total cutie.

Any takers on what's in her?

My aunt had a rough collie/golden retriever mix who looked just like this! I love that her name is "Happy," that's so cute. :3:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

She looks like a beagle/Labrador to me, it's a really common mix and I've seen some that looked a lot like yours. Maybe a coonhound/Labrador if she came from the southern US or like, rural Maine (The South of New England), but you don't really see coonhounds much outside of the sticks, and her ears are short for a coondog.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

jgrrr posted:

we were told she's part Pit, and can't figure out what else she is, someone at the park thinks she may be part Catahoula Leopard Dog, but we don't know! because of the judgement on pits we're not going to say "pit mix" but rather "purebred mutt"

What about her makes you think Catahoula? She doesn't seem to have any Cata traits, they are relatively rare dogs outside of the deep rural South, and for some reason I've been seeing tons of people and shelters claiming that their dogs were Catahoulas.

I see 100% pit bull here.

quote:

In fact I still haven't heard her bark. The only noises she's made are groans and cries. Groans when laying down, and cries when leaving her alone.

Grumbling and groaning are really common with pit bulls, I've noticed. (Huskies and some other breeds, as well.) It's cute as hell.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

My girlfriend and I were looking to adopt this dog and the petsmart is saying mastiff mix...

We were thinking more of a plott hound/labrador mix.

Thoughts?

Plotts are much finer-boned and don't have blocky heads and chests like that. That dog looks like a Lab/brindle bully mutt, maybe with something else.

Here's a nice Plott:

Note the ear carriage, narrow body, narrow rectangular head, longer limbs, longer muzzle, longer neck, etc.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

She looks just like an Australian shepherd/husky/pit bull that my friend is fostering right now. She's super beautiful!

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

He's got those Steve Buscemi eyes that just scream "pug mix" :3:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Citing people using them to test purebreds (which every company that does the tests flat out says WILL NOT WORK)

I'm curious why this is! I've heard this argument before, that the test manufacturers include this exception because it would be too easy to prove that they super-faulty and not worth your while using purebred dogs or mixed-breeds with known lineage. It all sounds a little :tinfoil: to me but on the other hand, I have never seen test results that weren't a complete joke, so...

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Momma was an almost-purebred redbone coonhound, what was pappy? I think he was a Labrador, but if you ask my cousin (his owner) he'll tell you, "Probably a dog." :toot:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Thwomp posted:

And one more from a few weeks back because why not (about 9 or 10 weeks old here)

The kid is cute but I've never seen another golden puppy with such a wide and short snout/muzzle. Plus, he's got "jowl wrinkles" (i have no clue what I'm trying to describe here). A couple of his litter mates at the shelter were golden in color so maybe it's a fair assessment of his mix?

That muzzle looks very cocker or springer spaniel to me, they both tend to have that jowly/wrinkly maw when they are puppies and eventually will grow into them. See:

(A springer pup up top and a bunch of American cocker pups in the bottom picture.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Could be a poorly-bred cattledog, blue eyes and heterochromia have been known to crop up occasionally, although it's usually in white or mostly-white dogs. Judging from the one picture, though, she looks like a cattledog/Aussie cross or cattledog/border collie to me.

Schizotek posted:

How are they compared to Boxers?

Totally incomparable in terms of intensity. They are fantastic running buddies, though.