Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
No purebreds here.

Once upon a time my mother wanted to buy me a purebred puppy, so I researched breeds and decided I wanted a working lines Australian cattledog. I researched breeders near and far, interviewed several, and finally settled on one who was anticipating a litter in a couple months. I met the tubby momdog and her cows the resident horses. The puppies finally arrived and...well...oops. That time she jumped out of the car window right after a trip to the next ranch over to see their blue heeler? When the neighbors brought her back the next day and asked if she was in heat?

Three maybe-purebreds, two houndy puppies, and two of these:

He was pretty much a typical cattledog puppy/unholy terror (oh god I'm never getting a puppy ever again!)

We figured he was kinda beagley too...

...until he wasn't.

He's pretty much all herding dog. His dad could have been an aussie shepherd, a border collie, a corgi, or some delightful mix of assorted breeds. Something with a fluffy tail, fluffy butt, and earbeards. It's fun to guess.

I take him to camp every summer and show the kids all his tricks. He's a very talented boy, herds sheep, does novice obedience, canine freestyle, a little agility, and stupid pet tricks.

The absolute best part about his lack of breed is when kids ask what kind of dog he is. They're all ready to write it down and go ask their mom for one just like him. I'm sure if he were a purebred there would be at least a dozen families that would have insanely unsuitable dogs by now. I've even had a few people ask about his breeder and try to track her down. Sorry everyone, she retired, sold the cows, and moved to Idaho.

Let's see your mutts! Where did they come from? What is fabulous about their muttness?

(Bonus points for puppy-to-adult pictures. It's amazing what they turn into when they grow up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

yawnie posted:

Lilah is a purebred mutt. She's still an itty bitty wittle puppy so I have no clue what she'll end up looking like, but I want her to hurry up and grow so I can see!

We expect updates. Mutts grow up all interestingly.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Ceridwen posted:

He also has a gloriously fluffy tail

drat that's a pretty dog.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

rear end Crackers! posted:

I know he has some separation issues because I raised him from a puppy while I was living alone, so if he sees me leave the house he'll lay in front of the door I went out and refuses to play with anyone or move until I get back. I also get a lot of comments about how fantastic he is, so people must like long haired brown/black mutt dogs :)

Brisbane has separation issues as well, and I raised him from a puppy in a house full of people. He still wallows in despair every time I leave the house. I think it's a personality thing, he's done it since babyhood.

Loki is also quite lovely.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

auri posted:

Awwww! I absolutely adore working herding dogs of all breeds or lack thereof.

Also, Sophie totally has that pei face. Go forth and make smooshy pictures!

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Master_Jay posted:

Pshhh... not like I'm actually going to buy those doggies even if I had the money. If I want a mutt, I'm not going to pay that much for one unless he came with a poo poo load of supplies and shots along with it.

Besides, I would love to adopt a pound puppy/doggy but if they don't meet the criteria I need than it just doesn't work out. Which basically means I'll probably not have any dog anyway so why the poo poo storm? I'm not getting one, I'm not paying for a 300 dollar mutt, and I can't stop a friend if they want to have a jackapoo.

Besides, I've adopted 2 dogs from the pound in my life and recently saved a kitten who was going to die soon. I'm allowed to gawk at Jackapoos even if they are overpriced. :smugbert:

Welcome to PI. For starters, let's lose the stupid designer "breed" name and call them JRT/poodle mixes.

Otherwise I get to call mine a New Zealand Long Collie.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
My best friend's craigslist mutt on our most recent camping trip. He's a wirehaired something-or-other.

Briz believes he has an adequate number of blankies for the trip.

Redwoods and dogs go nicely together.

OMG a squirrel!!!!

A tired dog is a good dog.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Savahontas posted:

This is Lex, she's a lab, I guess?

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

OMG lookit all the feet! How old is she?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
A coworker of mine recently got a family dog after searching the shelters for several months. No way were they going to get a pitbull, the shelters were full of them and they just didn't want the liability. They got a lovely dog that the kids bring over to visit all the time. According to his eleven year old, she's a "black lab/great dane/dalmatian mix".

(She's a really obvious lab/pit mix. Shhhhh!)

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

sincub posted:

This is Luna, which turned out to be short for Lunatic.

She's an odd one.

We believe she's an awkward mix of blue heeler, boxer, and lab. She has a little head and a big, goofy body.

I don't see anything but heeler in there, they come in some pretty variable shapes when their not being bred for the showring.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Kallisti Applecore posted:

I'm a sucker for mutts, I wouldn't have it any other way. Best dogs ever.

When we moved into our first house, it felt so empty. A local rescue organization helped us out. We found this girl's picture & fell in love:

Click here for the full 609x407 image.

That's the closest we have to a puppy picture, though, she was two years old when we got her. Half Golden Retriever, half Australian Shepherd they said. We named her River. She's six now & going strong!

I know I've remarked on this before, but your dog could almost be my dog.

Seriously, she's got to have some Australian cattledog in her, with the pointy ears and the freckle feet.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Wow, it's hard to believe she's even the same dog already!

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Is that Dandelion? I remember when you first found him! He had a pink collar 'cause you thought he was a girl at first. Great to see him so happy and all filled out!

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
You definitely have an Australian cattledog mix there, the freckles give it away. Look at Brisbane in the OP, when he was a baby and then grown up. Cattledog puppies start out white and then freckle up as they age. Enjoy your heeler, they're amazing.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Norse Code posted:

sorry about the picture love fest, I just can't help it! :3:

Can't blame you, she's a doll! She might have something terrier-y in her with the wirey hair, but I have no idea what is permissible in the chihuahua breed.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Long live rolled-up couch doggies!

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Stella is a lovely heeler baby, and you need to post more pictures of her immediately. Also, at 4 months her ears could surprise you and stand up, making her look very unlabby. We thought mine was kinda beagley until he hit the satellite-dish phase.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
That is NOT a mutt!

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

huskyjackal posted:

This is not a sane dog.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Brainwrong posted:

This is Casper.

This is a marvelous picture. I would like to join Casper on his adventure.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
This is my roommate's stupid dog, Ma'a. He is a purebred "I had one of those when I was little!" He is a complete doofus and trips over stuff. No matter how many times he sees Brisbane and I hop over the agility jump, he is still completely mystified by it. I'm currently trying to clicker train the stupid out of him. It's a very slow process.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Krizkor posted:

Been following this awhile, and decided to see what kind of opinions I could get on my pup.

This is Ozzie, between vets and neighbors, i've gotten about six different breed mixes he could possibly be, from Pit/jack russel to collie/retriever. He's too small for any kind of collie mix, and his hair is very short and bristly. Any ideas?

https://wi.somethingawful.com/cb/cb30ffee1780ed002ba05c143762b027125c00f8.jpg

Linked for huge.

edit: I should mention, sometimes his ears are flopped forward, rather than the current position they are in that photo.

How big is he? How much does he weigh? Any body/action shots?

He looks kind of like a pit/collie mix, unless he's like 20 lbs. He also sort of looks like a chunky rat terrier.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Astrid looks like a shorthaired version of every Anatolian I've ever met, if that helps.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

MickRaider posted:

So we've decided Lizzie is a Basenji/Labrador mix.

more pictures here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171820&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=14#post377952302

She still looks like a cattledog mix to me. It's the ears.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
How big is she? Basenjis are pretty little. My friends have a basenji/cattledog cross (oh god, ninja dog) and she's all of 20 pounds.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

a handful of dust posted:

Any ideas? He makes chewbaca noises sort of like a malamute or a husky and can't stand the heat so I'm guessing some kind of northern dog, beyond that I have no idea.

The rescue we got him from had him down as a chow mix, but that doesn't seem right. He weighs just under 90 lbs.

Oh my god that dog is amazing! He looks like a not-white Samoyed to me. Like a mix of Samoyed and grizzly bear. I want to lay on him.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I was thinking cattledog too, but I see ACD in everything. I'm always amused when sheltie owners tell me that my dog is most certainly a sheltie mix, corgi owners typically insist he's mostly corgi, etc. When he was a baby, a couple of different poodle owners tried to convince me that he wasn't a cattledog mix at all, but most likely some sort of poodley/spaniel mix.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

snarkcookie posted:

I definitely think you guys are right with cattle dog, although her ears are much bigger then I've seen on that breed. They look very German Shepherd to me.

Brisbane says cattledog mixes sometimes have enormous ears, and he appreciates your Eardog.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Briz developed the earbeards later. He went from beagley baby

to Cessna in about 3 days.

He does the disappearing ears thing for various reasons, including tolerating puppies. This was an incredibly hard picture to find, I ten to only save the ones where his ears are all giant and magnificent.

He also does a ad face where they ears slide down the sides of his head.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Vanderloo posted:

What kind of dog is this?

A doberman pinscher. Why is it here?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Ears! They're starting to stand up!

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Australian cattledogs have spots like that, and they come in gradually from puppyhood onward. Brisbane changed colors and coat patterns a ton during his first year.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Kali11324 posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is probably not a dog. But we need more pictures to be sure.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

nitrogen posted:

What kind of dog do ya'll think I am?

Eli looks like a chow/golden mix to me. In some shots he looks very goldeny, in others he looks very chowy.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

pik_d posted:

Apologies if this is a purebreed that I just don't know about, but can anyone help identify what this might be?

Judging from the whorl of hair along the back, I would guess you have a baby Chupacabra. Hide your goats.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Ginny is a lovely freckly-weckly dog, Brisbane approves. I would venture to say that she is possibly a poorly bred ACD. They develop a whole lot of variety outside the show/competition world, and a lot of working dogs have similar coat patterns. Dunno about the ears though, do they try to stand up now and then?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

RazorBunny posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a cattle dog or cattle dog mix that looked slender, even at a healthy weight. They're built like barrels.

The breed standard for ACDs calls for them to be "strongly coupled." Mine doesn't particularly have a waistline when viewed from above, even when his ribs are visible.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Awww, he has freckly-weckly feet too! I think pointer mixes and dalmatians are also prone to freckle-feet. Aside from that, nothing about him really screams ACD to me.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Captain Foxy posted:

Basically, whenever dogs have gone feral in an area, you're gonna get Brown Dogs, AKA tan/light colored dogs with stick-up ears and tails. It's just a genetic conglomeration of traits, not really any specific breed characteristics. All dogs that go feral and breed for a while will eventually produce Brown Dogs, even snooty purebreds.

There don't even have to be purebred dogs involved. Pariah dogs are basically the original dogs, purebred dogs are the exceptions. Especially in rural areas, mutts don't really have to be a mix of purebreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Megatron has glorious ears and wonderful freckles. I hope she gets to go swimming in that pond.