Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I think we need some more picture of Spud in order to develop a better idea of his body shape. Maybe some more full body shots from ground level, and some action shots. Definitely more pictures.

Lots more pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Upon closer inspection, I think Spud may have fallen out of a Dr. Seuss book.

I totally see the American Bulldog in the freckles and his general shape, but where's the rest of his legs?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
And the ears?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

huskyjackal posted:

I hope this dog brays like a Basset, that noise is so cute (in small amounts!).

Yay for freckly heeler mixes! I hope that dog shrieks like a heeler, because there's nothing like racing into the yard thinking someone is stabbing your dog to death and discovering that he's just yapping at a sparrow on the fence.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

wtftastic posted:

EDIT: Do they need their ears taped to stand? Because his are floppy, but the right shape.

A vet once told me that standing ears had something to do with calcium intake as a puppy, not sure if he was full of poo poo or not. I do know that a lot of ACDs end up bred away from standard because somebody bred two workin' dawgs together to make more workin' dawgs.

Brisbane's ears were floppy...

...until they weren't.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Brisbane is not allowed to have unsupervised access to the yard because he will inevitably end up shrieking wildly while trying to herd birds in flight. He gets hysterical over squirrels in our avocado tree and has recently decided that all large trucks are the UPS truck and must die. Finding good outlets for his behavior while managing his OCD is a lot of work, but he's an awesome dog when he isn't a basket case.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

wtftastic posted:

Ah so the cars thing is a herding dog thing too? Bailey hates the sound of loud cars. If they're moving and quiet he doesn't care, but the second the get loud he's ready to start poo poo.

Bailey has started tugging this crate mat out of his crate and leaving it all around the house with some ripping and chewing. He has a ton of other things to destroy.

Briz has a vendetta against anyone who delivers anything to the house, he can recognize a mail truck a block away, and can hear the UPS truck several streets over. Training him to look away and leave it is hard because he must reconcile his desire to chase/herd/kill with his love for food. Food always wins out.

Brisbane also likes to drag dog beds around the house, but only the really huge heavy ones. I think he gets an ego boost from moving objects larger than himself.

We go to the beach a lot in the winter so he can chase the shorebirds. Sanderlings are great little birds that move in flocks and don't fly very far before landing again. They also only fly on the waterline, so they're great to chase back and forth. Briz is primarily a beach dog, but also loves a trip to the snow.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
It usually takes a while for dogs to settle in and show their true personalities, but I wouldn't worry too much. Brisbane has some handling issues, especially with his feet and tail, despite my best efforts in raising him. I just own a muzzle and know what freaks him out, and work on rewarding him for tolerating things.

Did Bailey attempt to go after the vet, or just guard himself?

You may want to talk to a behaviorist now, or if issues show up. I had Brisbane evaluated by a certified veterinary behaviorist, and she was able to identify those issues as either fear or pain. She also pointed out that Brisbane takes a long time to settle after a spaz incident, which has helped me manage him a lot.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Brisbane has harness issues for a while. I got him a step-in harness that snaps around his back, and then laid it out on the floor and clicker trained him to put his feet in the right place so I could just slide it up and snap it. After a while he figured out that the harness meant fun times, but he still would rather stay home than have me pull something over his head.

Do lots of obedience training with Bailey, it really helps when they're nervous or scared or overwhelmed. Obeying a command and getting praise can help ground them and help them figure out that everything is ok because they known what to do now. I've have Brisbane for almost six years now, and he still gets all wiggly and happy when I ask him for a trick. It's like cattledog nirvana, "oh my god, I know something!"

I also really, really recommend reading The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. It really helped me accept that my dog is who he is and it's ok if he doesn't like his tail brushed. She also has a really good explanation of bites and the bite threshold. Every little stimulus stacks up, and when a dog gets overstimulated they bite. Brisbane and a lot of ACDs have a lovely combination of low threshold and large number of stimulus, so it's all about knowing what stresses them and keeping them below bite-level.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
On hot days, Brisbane recommends that you simultaneously exhaust and hydrate your cattledog.

The hose makes for a good self-control game for insane dogs. Briz must lay down on command and wait to be released, or the hose shuts off.

It's a good chance to bite things like a maniac.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

It's dangerous for mutt lovers to go into an animal shelter, even just to look. But my husband and I decided to go down to the high kill municipal shelter after lunch today. Part way through the kennels, we saw a sad red dog. An owner surrender...who is reported to be fifteen years old.

Not cool. It's sad enough that any dog is in a pound. But an old dog, deaf and arthritic, it just rips my heart out.

So, meet Lucille!

You are saints, bless you for taking in this lovely girl!

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Vinnie is excessively cute!

This is Peanut the Flying Foster Dog. He's pretty obviously a chihuahua mix, but he's 12lbs and 15" tall. Also he has a mane and a curly tail.

He was scheduled to be euthed in a lovely Los Angeles County shelter when somebody in New York spotted him in a video, sitting at the back of an overcrowded kennel behind all the barking dogs.

Through the magic of Facebook and Paypal, Peanut is now in my livingroom and scheduled to fly to his new owner next week. (Also have two minpins bound for breed rescue in Minnesota, oh god, so many little dogs!) He barks a little, is nice to the cats, and stands on his hind legs and boxes with his front feet.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

tardsteak posted:

Haha well to be more accurate those pictures are from about a month back. We've since changed his feeding a bit and started exercising him a lot more. Here's a crappy picture I took ten minutes ago:

Such a lovely boy! What's his energy level like?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

FeloniousDrunk posted:

I want to slide him across a hard floor while he lays on his belly.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I looked at Milo and immediately went 'JRT!", maybe mixed with chihuahua. Roxy is a little harder to tell, can you get a picture of her from the side in a standing position? How much does she weigh? The gangly legs make me think maybe a Italian greyhound or maybe whippet, but I can't really see how she's shaped from those pictures.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Ru does look pretty terriery, maybe something like a long-legged fox terrier? He actually looks like he might be a Schip mix, but there just aren't that many of those wondering around and he's totally the wrong shape.

Also, I also have a Ru (who does not appear in this thread because he is clearly a poo poo-bred chihuahua). May I ask where your Ru's name came from?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Brisbane was supposed to be a beagle/cattledog. I showed him Henry and told him to get less fluffy.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Rvrnd. Riot posted:

His dashing blue tick scarf is an item of particular esteem.
He's dang smart and has tons of energy for his age. I taught him to shake in about ten minutes with little bits of biscuit (you're onto something, Fish-person) at age 7.

He totally sounds like a cattledog mix, you should read about clicker training. Unfortunately, training him will probably ruin your expectations for lesser dogs who aren't as quick to catch on. This thread can help explain how Henry will eventually train you to do his bidding.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

CapnAndy posted:

When my family rescued Reese a couple months ago, we were told she was a Corgi/Sheltie mix. This was a filthy loving lie. Here is Reese and her sister Mel:

And here is one just of her, which came out dark but you can see how she stands in it at least, her face and coloring is obvious from the first one:

Since the size difference doesn't really come across in the picture, Mel is a full-grown purebred Tibetan Terrier. Reese is already taller and longer than Mel, and she's like four or five months old now. She sheds, she's extremely clever, she whines and cries when she wants something and has a deep, booming bark she uses on intruders. Intruders are people encroaching on the house without being properly greeted by a human she knows. Anyone who we're happy to see is instantly her best friend forever and she loves them. She is a great big ball of inexhaustable energy, although that's probably got something to do with being a puppy.

What the hell kind of dog do I have? Our current best guess is Doberman and Other Stuff.

I will take more pictures for you if you want them and she holds still long enough.

Mostly ACD, possibly all poorly-bred ACD. Enjoy the shrieking and the diabolical scheming, you now have a dog that is smarter than any person in your house.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I definitely see rottweiler, and possibly GSD in that dog. He looks too heavy to be a doberman mix.

Brisbane would like to take a moment to share a cupcake with you all:

As long as you don't have slobber issues...

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

revmoo posted:

Any clue on the breed?

Cattledog mix! Are those freckles on her nose? I can't wait to see if her ears stand up, she totally has earbeards like my Brisbane.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
My neighbors had an Akita/lab cross when I was growing up, Sophie had floppy lab ears but a fully curled Akita tail. Corky definitely looks like a lab mix to me, but I'm wondering where his white face markings come from.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I see chihuahua and toy poodle and adorable. I love tripod dogs!

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

I would happily take this dog home with me and add her to my collection of enormous ears with dogs attached.

Also Quaffle is beautiful and looks like he would be good for hugging. Does Quaffle like hugs?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I totally see the shih tzu and chihuahua, what a cool result. I really need to do one of these for Brisbane so I can see what else is in there besides landshark.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Oh. My. God. Please mail me that dog right away.

My first guess would be all heeler, withat that face and coat, but the blue eyes make me think maybe there's some Australian shepherd in there too. Do you have more pictures of her? Profile shot? Body shot? (Please post more pictures of this dog.)

Also, please check out this thread before deciding to adopt her, around the second page it becomes the Heeler Stockholm Syndrome thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510266

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

I'm gonna go against the popular vote and say I see cattledog ears on that landshark. Also his ears and face remind me of Brisbane a lot. Maybe the breed they have in common is whatever not-ACD thing knocked up Brisbane's mum?

Ferretinachariot posted:

This is Chief, we assume he's a Border Collie, Australian Shepherd mix. Does anyone else have any ideas?

The ticking says cattledog and something fluffy. Definitely cattledog. Everything is a cattledog.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

TheDon01 posted:

Meet Oso!

I love his perpetual grin and the one flopped ear. He totally looks like a half a chow mixed with something pretty and sable. I want to hug him.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

The Dregs posted:

My friend's new pup. He's half Petit Griffon Basset Vendeen and half whatever the hell got at Momma. Any ideas?

How on earth does that happen? There aren't a lot of PBGV's running around...

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Bowie totally looks like a Border Collie to me, they pretty much come in all colors/sizes/coats/ears.

Scully is absolutely adorable and I want to play with his ears.

Lucy is a fabulous longdog, I'm gonna guess she's a Bassett/beagle mix.

We finally got Brisbane a DNA test and should find out what dogs are inside him in the next couple of weeks.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Those are some of the roundest potatoes I have ever seen. The black mask doesn't necessarily mean the father was a boxer, could have been a shepherdy thing or almost anything else. Wait until they grow up a lot more before trying to make guesses, the trouble with potatoes is that they're all potato-shaped.

Also, the Wisdom Panel site has an awesome photo gallery where you can search by breed and look at zillions of (insert breed here) mixes. Cattledog mixes tend to have pointy ears and/or spots, very few have Brisbane's weirdass coat. http://www.wisdompanel.com/photo_gallery/

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Got Brisbane's test results back, and...

drumroll please...

No. No loving way. Just...no. I have pictures of his mother, there is absolutely no way in hell she was half bullmastiff. No.

This one's a little more believable. He does have a kind of spanielly coat. He's just...not a quarter bullmastiff. I emailed the company asking them what the gently caress, otherwise I'm ready to call bullshit on DNA testing for breed.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Having done a little research, it seems that the Xolo is basically a Central American pariah dog, so it's possible he has some seriously muttly mutts in his background that were never actually purebred.

Setters were derived from spaniels eons ago, and the last two trace amounts are for spitz-type dogs, so I'm guessing he has some spanielly and spitzy mixes back there somewhere. I totally believe he has a spanielly coat.

Can't get past the mastiff, though. Maybe his mother was half muttly mutt and his father was a mastiff/AmStaff/hippo-dog monstrosity? That would explain his dreadful structure.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Adorable chocolate puppy has adorable white toesies. No idea if he's pit, lab, pit/lab, or something else until he gets further beyond the potato stage.

Condie looks like a German shepherd/sheltie to me, maybe some Australian shepherd in there too.

Sent the Mars Veterinary Company pictures of Brisbane and his mum at their request, waiting to hear back from them about my "bullmastiff". Having met a number of Cavaliers and cockers with tails in the last couple of days I am convinced that is where he gets his wacky tail-shag. Funny enough, when he was a puppy I was told by an ACD breeder that he was totally not cattledog but probably a spaniel mix. No idea where the tail-curled-over-back comes from, though. Is that a dominant trait? Do Xolos have curly-uppy tails?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Jake the chow mix definitely looks like his other parent was something hairy. I feel like a herding breed would maybe make him a little more biddable, maybe he's got some golden or setter in the mix?

Cav-mix puppy totally looks like a cav mix to me. I'm in central/southern California and they're everywhere. I even personally knew an unscrupulous byb who was cheerfully selling unaltered puppies that were accidentally making cav mixes all over the place. Hell, even my cattledog mix appears to have a little in there. A whole bunch of small breeds got super popular in the last decade or so.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Elizabeth looks like she could be a Cairn Terrier crossed with a Maltese or a Shih Tzu depending on how big she is. Something with long flow hair.

Yellow shelter dog looks like maybe an American Eskimo mixed with...I dunno. Maybe sheltie or something.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

OK, just got Elwood home and took some better pictures. He's only 5 months, so holding still is hard to come by, like I said, the shelter had him posted as a Rat terrier mix.

Isn't that a basenji tail? I'm totally thinking basenji mix.

Dr. Knox from Mars Veterinary called me yesterday and we had a delightful conversation about genetics and sample groups and breed groups and the histories behind them, seriously it was awesome. She said that Brisbane's DNA sample was of high quality so they weren't worried about contamination. Apparently all of their sample cattledog DNA is from AKC-registered dogs, so the reason the computer didn't hit on his mother being purebred was because she was a working-lines dog and didn't match up exactly. The computer just spits out the most likely result, but she could look at all the projected possibilities and many of them identified his mother as purebred.

A lot of his father's DNA comes from the molosser/guardian group, and the system identified AmStaff and Bullmastiff very consistently across the board, so his father was very likely a quarter of each. One of Brisbane's grandparents was fatty hippo-dog, this explains his horrific structure nicely. The other very consistently identified breed was Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, where he gets his earbeards and tail/buttfeathering. It was very consistently Cav and not any other spaniel. The Xolo apparently falls into the European family, from which all terriers/spaniels/setters/hounds/etc spring. Xolo shows up as a false positive a lot when a dog has a lot of terrier in the mix, and might be listed as a trace result because of the AmStaff. Briz has a small amount of Asian/spitzy DNA and a little bit of pretty much everything else in there, one of his great-grandparents was definitely a total mutt.

Still, I feel like this is a much more resonable result:

Also, please take a moment to imagine what Brisbane's dad looked like:

His mother went on a lovely adventure during her heat, which resulted in the neighbors bringing her home and saying their "beagle mix" got to her. Dr. Knox guessed that the dog in question was a short-haired sable/tricolor dog with big 'ol floppy ears, and just kinda looked like a beagle.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I started working at a doggy daycare a few weeks ago, and it's been a lot of fun seeing other dogs with DNA results. Some of the owners have even had fun conversations with geneticists like I did. So far we've learned that husky mixes can end up looking like incredibly long-legged browndogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Neitherman posted:

Now, my wife and I are fairly confident Waffles is mostly if not purebred APBT, but we have no loving clue what Wheezy is. We've speculated she is part baked potato, part giraffe, part sloth, and part lemur. Can anyone offer a guess, either comedy options or legit answers?

I think the black mask often indicates German shepherd, and I kinda see maybe lab in there too.