Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
This is the one that gets me.

Little_Dead_Pets posted:

"Hello friend, we have much to discuss."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Sharpie Fix posted:

Really, I equate these kind of "OMG BYB!" posts as an passive way to say "I wish your dog had never been born". You just can't say this to a person that loves and cares for their dog that actually exists. I would never say this about anyone's pet, byb or otherwise. If anything, I might say that I wish a pet had never been in the wrong hands. Spend your time educating people not to breed or buy byb puppies in the first place if they can help it, not chastizing owners of dogs that happen to have come from those situations.

Oh come on. This is a forum about pet lovers, for god's sake. No one here wishes your dog had never been born; we just want to educate you about why supporting those people wasn't a good idea and why you shouldn't do it/should encourage others not to do so in the future.

You want to know how we can stop these people from breeding puppies? By telling people who buy them and are about to buy them about what this practice really does. You can go right ahead and get your panties in a bunch about it and insist that we're accusing you of abuse or something, but you might want to remember that in order for us to eradicate this problem the way you suggest, we have to educate you, too since you actually have supported this process and are now getting upset on on internet forum because someone dared to tell you it wasn't actually all sunshine and roses the way you wanted it to be.

You're the one being so defensive and getting upset. No one is saying 'OMG DROWN YOUR DOG' for gently caress's sake. Just be aware of what this is.

BTW, this one of the things we are very firm about in Pet Island and we don't exactly make a secret of it. You may want to read the new Puppy FAQ for more information about backyard breeders, because posting like this is pretty much guaranteed to cause a shitstorm and it's not fair to this nice thread.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 26, 2009

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

SpermyShermy posted:

Is it possible to have a picture thread on PI without this getting retreaded and retreaded and retreaded?

It's possible if you're aware of the Puppy FAQ and the Rules before you post.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Ceridwen posted:

Bonus pic of Megatron (my cousin's 6 month old GSD mix):

The name combined with the look on his face is just adorable.

Also I agree that Rusy is the living embodiment of :smug:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

rivals posted:

They think her mom is a Pharaoh Hound/Pit Bull mix

Huh. What rescues tell people and what the dog actually is seems to always be two different things. ;)

I don't see any Pharaoh Hound in that dog at all, and I'd be extremely surprised if there was. Here's why:

First of all, Pharaohs are rare. Like, so rare that they're listed as 141 out of 154 dog breeds in terms of numbers registered with the AKC. That means that there is probably less than a thousand dogs registered in the US, which means that they're not something you'd find in just any backyard or as a feral dog and it's not likely that the owners of a Pharaoh would be breeding it with anything else; they're not a particularly popular dog breed and they're not very well known.

Secondly, mama looks like a good ol' pit to me. :3: Plenty of pits have ears that look like they'd belong to a rabbit or to a different breed entirely, and plenty of pits have that eye shape. That's just a pitty thing, and comes from the mixing of the various breeds to create the common backyard 'pit bull'.

Thirdly, pit mixes are really common in shelters, and shepherd/pit mixes are some of the most popular. Only one in six hundred pitbulls or mixes ever gets adopted. A lot of rescues try to beef up their adoption rates by claiming an exotic or unknown breed is part of the mix, hoping to lure in people who might otherwise turn their nose up at a pit bull mix. Sad, because pits are awesome dogs, but true.

Now, that doesn't mean your dog isn't special, or that the shelter/rescue was being evil and deliberately lying to you. I'm just saying; the chances are pretty slim to none that that mama dog had any Pharaoh in her, but chances are really ridiculously high of her being just a big-eared tan pit mix, given the state of most shelters in the US. ;)

quote:

Here is Eris a few days ago, her ears stand up more and more every day :)

These gorgeous stand up ears of hers probably have more to do with her possible Shepherd father than with any connection to a Pharaoh hound. She looks pretty Shepherd-y in the face, and it's likely that she wouldn't be brindled if her mother was part Pharaoh since they can only be red and that color would be dominant.

She's still incredibly cute, and just being a 'plain old' pit/shepherd mix doesn't make her any less special.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Kallisti Applecore posted:

This is Sherman, the strangest-looking dog I ever met. He was a German Shepherd, Basset mix & the gentlest, happiest dog ever:

Click here for the full 857x572 image.

Click here for the full 762x508 image.

My mother-in-law said he was so happy because everyone who saw him laughed & smiled, too :)

You've posted him before. I remember because I remembered that I want to die with how loving cute that dog is. :3:

Seriously.

Lookit dat fukken dog.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

FogOgg posted:

I don't really know what the hell he is. I think boxer/beagle, I was told boxer/lab when I got him. He's almost 4 years old now, but most people still assume he's less than 12 months.

I see pit/lab or pit/boxer, which would make sense since boxer/lab is the most common name given to pit mixes. That would also explain the energy and happy dope personality. :3:

However, if he is in fact a pit mix, the dog park might not be the best place for him to go on a regular basis. A lot of people and a lot of dogs = a mix of a lot of different personalities and things going on and if a fight starts (which they inevitably do) and your dog joins in, guess who will get blamed for that fight? Your dog, unfortunately, because he looks like a pit. Its a high risk scenario for a pit to be in, and most responsible owners of purebred pits as well as mixes don't risk taking them there on a regular basis. Once in a while is fine, but you gotta supervise your dog more closely than perhaps you would another breed. Not really a bad thing, just a fact of living life with a dog with these instincts.

I would even recommend less dog park time if he turns out to be boxer/beagle or boxer/lab like you were told, just because the play style in the pictures you posted seems really rambunctious and high-energy, and the Bull Terrier seems to be giving off some mild irritation signals. Bowling dogs over is the number one thing that leads to those quick, scary fights that you never see coming; one minute they can be playing all stupid-happy, and the next minutes someone will smash into someone that doesn't appreciate it, and bam! The fight starts. See, in dog language, bowling into another dog means that your dog isn't respecting their personal space, and that dog may have given your dog subtle warnings before, but decide to make it physical this time, and that's when it goes off.

But don't let me let you down; I'm not trying to rag on your choice of play area for your dog. Just passin' on some friendly advice that could help you escape the scary situation of having your dog blamed for a fight, and reducing the chances of a fight ever happening in the first place. ;)

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 18, 2010

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

FogOgg posted:

Thanks for that. I had never really given thought to the possibility of him being dangerous at the park. We've been going regularly for so long and the worst he's ever done is howl at people wearing hats. That's actually my biggest worry since people seem to take it in so many ways. Most of them take off their hat after I tell them what he's barking at and then kneel down and make friends. I worry more about the reactions of the few who take it personally than what he's likely to do. He's never bitten or even threatened to bite anyone besides me in his life and that bite was a total accident.

I think a lot of the rough play he gets from me. I wrestle with him a lot and he's gotta be pretty rough to have any chance since I outweigh him by a good 200 pounds.

He is very possessive of toys and sticks, so I try to keep those out of sight when other dogs are around. He doesn't have any trouble with me reaching right into his mouth to take things away, but he will definitely give another dog a nip on the scruff. For these pics I had a Kong that we play tug and some swimming with, but we usually go without toys to minimize that.

He has gotten in a couple minor scraps, always with Huskies. They seem to have some built in desire to gently caress with him and home in from the other side of a 20 acre park without fail. They've always been broken up just by yelling his name like I'm angry then chasing the other dog off.

Either way, I've called off today's trip for now. He's my first dog so even after four years I'm still very much learning more about him and dogs in general. Thanks for the advice. :)

Awww you're welcome. That's a cutie you've got there. :3:

Here's a tip I use on my tiny 10lb dog who loves to dive into a fight at the dog park (regardless of size of the other contestants):

Whenever you see him running like crazy, building up speed or just getting too hyped up in general, with that crazy look in his eye, try calling his name and rewarding him with a lot of praise and attention for coming back to you. Ask him to refocus and come back to you whenever you see his excitement level getting really ramped up. It may be hard to accomplish this because bringing treats to the park is a bad idea, so maybe first try working on it in an enclosed space without dogs, like a tennis court or a day when the dog park is empty? Get him excited and running, then call him over to where you are with a treat and praise, and then repeat repeat repeat until you can see that he 100% gets the idea. Then you try it out at the dog park one day without treats, just your praise.

It's not foolproof; he could still decide 'Hey gently caress you dad' and charge into a fight anyway, just because (if he is a pit) it's what he's meant to do. Labs gotta retrieve, terriers want to rip up rats, and pits sometimes want to fight. Boxers too. So, if that's the scenario, you'll want to learn to use a break stick so you can safely break up the fight. (Also, that link contains awesome resources for pitbull owners; you might wanna check it out!) The fact that he'll let you take a toy right out of his mouth means you can probably also break up a fight by simply straddling the dog and reaching into either side of his mouth to get him to release the hold, but that takes a bit more intuition and practice.

You're doing fine. :) If you want to still take him to the park (and I understand, because it's fun to interact with other owners and it's always fun to watch dogs play) maybe pick days where the dogs are less intense or there's less of them. Or take him on a good exercise to get some of that crazy energy out of him before you go. Either way, just keep an eye out for signs of trouble and always remember that your dog is your responsibility, which it sounds like you already do. ;)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

stab posted:

that is for sure a 100% purebred Pom.

Follow these rules to figure out if it's a Pom:

1) Does it spin like a dumbass when it's happy or wants something from you?

2) Does it paw or scratch at the ground when you've forgotten to fill his water/food WALK ME NOW OR I'LL POOP ON THE FLOOR I SWEAR TO GOD?

3) Does it attack any dog, even if it's 15 times its size?

4) Doe sit try it's hardest to jump over your head when you take out it's leash for walk-time?

If you answer yes to the above, it's a Pomeranian.

hahahahhahahaha yes, yes this is all accurate. this man knows his fluffdogs. :3:

But, hate to break it to you, that dog ain't no Pom. See it's face? That's a traditional Chihuahua dome, not the more rounded and set back Pom skull. It doesn't have Pom ears, or a Pom mouth, so if it does have Pom in there somewhere it's likely one of those long haired chihuahuas that have been bred with Poms for extra coat.

Here's some pics for reference (not my pics):

This is a purebred Pom

This is what most people think a purebred Pom looks like, but it is not:

And this is a show quality long haired Chihuahua:

See? That is probably what that mystery dog is, maybe with a little Pom in the background mix. A lot of less-than reputable breeders sometimes mix Pom in to get a bigger/stronger coat, and many more people mix them together just for fun, so you can never really tell, but that head carriage and ear set is a dead giveaway that that dog is mostly Chi.

Sorry for the spergin'. I just get very nitpicky about this, because everyone in my area who thinks they have a Pom either has one of the stilt-legged fox dogs or a long haired chihuahua. Nothin wrong with that, of course, but that's not what they're supposed to look like! ;)

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 31, 2010

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

stab posted:

if that's the case.... then what the hell do I have then?

abominable snowmonster of cute

(Probably just a bigger/foxier faced Pom. Could be mixed but is probably just a different lookin' purebred. That also happens. Sometimes breeders toss in German Spitz for increased size and better whelping, or so I'm told.)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

That's a Pit all right, no question about it. Mixed with maybe Jack Russel or Pointer for the coloration, but it's possible she's a purebred. Shelter workers often label pit mixes as any other breed of dog they can find, because there's so many pit bulls in rescue and they're the most commonly euthanized.

Weren't you the one who posted worried about getting a dog aggressive dog? Pits are great dogs, love people and are excellent pets, but they are definitely bred to be dog aggressive, and have a very high prey drive, typically. How's she doing so far?

Pretty pitty. :3:

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 13, 2010

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

On that note, any suggestions for training material? I've been reading https://www.dogbreedinfo.com and https://www.pitbulls.org but they basically contradict each other and I'm unsure of which way to go. Also, in the bully breed thread people talk about playing tug with their dog, but I've heard that that will teach them to challenge people. On the other hand, I've also heard that pits lock their jaws so :rolleyes: So much chaff it's hard to find the wheat.

You're definitely gonna wanna post in the bully thread asking for advice; they discuss in more detail about playing tug and what not to do. Dogbreedinfo.com is total crap; don't pay attention to anything written there. The posters of the bully thread are your best bet for reasonable, sane info.

quote:

If it comes down to it and I can't take her to the dog park, then fine, that's the way it is. I love this dog so much already because she's just so damned sweet.

That's awesome, because you should know that responsible owners of pits tend not to take them to dog parks. Even if your dog is the nicest dog in the world, if another dog starts a fight and your dog does what comes naturally to her and finishes that fight, then guess who will be blamed? Not the dog that started the fight, but the 'mean evil pittttbulllll with locking jaws'. I'd avoid dog parks and off-leash walking areas, and focus on rewarding her for good behavior on leashed walks. Always have treats or a toy ready for her after she greets another dog on the leash, and don't let her engage too long with the other dog so she doesn't have the chance to aggress.

You'll definitely want to read anything written by Patricia McConnell a thousand times over. And post pics in the bully thread!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

PVT Cannonballs posted:

I've been thinking about getting a dog sometime in the near future and have been wanting to scope out my options. I'd like a hunting dog that I can take duck hunting and dove hunting to do some retrieving. Naturally, I know retrievers are best for this but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience on using a mixed breed as a hunting dog? I'd like to adopt instead of buy from a breeder. Does anyone have a mixed breed hunting dog? Does he do just as well as a pure bred (I'd assume yes)? And, generally, anything anyone can tell me about it would be helpful. Do hunting trainers train mixed as well?

I was actually thinking about maybe a lab and coonhound mix, and maybe get a bit of both types of hunting dogs.

I don't have any experience hunting specifically with mixed breeds, but I do know that it is fairly common for hunting dogs of any variety to be mutts. Rural areas especially, where hunters don't wanna pay hundreds of dollars for a purebred. A dog doesn't ever have to be purebred to fulfill a working function; what you're looking for is instincts and those don't always come reliably even in hunt-bred lines.

A mutt will hunt just as good as, if not better than a purebred, but you do have to take your time when looking at dogs in shelters and select one with the right drive and hunting instincts. I'd bring along a lure used for retrieval work or a fake duck smeared with scent and spend a few minutes playing fetch with the dog you're looking at, examining how keen the dog is to fetch the item, how the dog carries it back and if the dog will let you take the item from its mouth without a fuss. Most mixed breed dogs of any kind will do this, so you shouldn't have much of a problem finding one that would be a good canidate for further training.

ETA: Forgot to add, you should probably also bring along an experienced hunt dog friend or trainer, to help you asses the qualities of each dog more objectively.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 15, 2010

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Yeah, Soothing Vapors dog definitely has that pit-y look to her; you can tell by the width between the eyes and the roundedness of the muzzle. A pudgy rat terrier would still have that defined, narrow muzzle, even if it was poorly bred.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

under evolved posted:

This is Carlos. I rescued him from the local shelter about a month ago. I'm pretty sure he's got some Corgi in him, but besides that I can't tell! He's awesome:

Click here for the full 900x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on what breeds he might be. He's about 22 pounds by the way, and he snores really loud :3:

If such a thing as a Pitbull/Corgi mix exists, then it is your dog. Or maybe Boston Terrier/Corgi? Looks more pitty in the face to me, but either way :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

ExtremeODD posted:

Just got a puppy from a coworker, the mom is a "bordador" half boarder collie and half Labrador. The dad is they believe to be a neighbors pitbull, one of the friendliest dogs Ive ever met. Just a hair over 4 weeks old or so, cute little bastard.

This is a troll. Surely. Surely this is a troll.

If not, then everything about this post is wrong.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Pibble/GSD or Pibble/Shar Pei maybe? Wally = :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Diodeous posted:

He reminds me a lot of one of my pooches, Hermes, who we were told is a Carolina Dog or a mutt with some Carolina Dog in him. We don't know for sure, since he's a shelter dog, but he does have some of the characteristics of my dog (big ears, black mouth, brown dog-ness). This isn't the best picture for capturing his sillyness, as it makes him look like a lab, but usually he's moving around those big ears like satellite dishes and looking expressive with his wrinkly face.

The name 'Carolina Dog' isn't really a breed thing tbh; it just means a pariah dog from that area. A pariah dog is basically just a mutt of a mutt of a mutt that's gone feral.

Basically, whenever dogs have gone feral in an area, you're gonna get Brown Dogs, AKA tan/light colored dogs with stick-up ears and tails. It's just a genetic conglomeration of traits, not really any specific breed characteristics. All dogs that go feral and breed for a while will eventually produce Brown Dogs, even snooty purebreds. It's not really a bad thing to have a dog that's just a mutt, but shelters and rescues often try to insert a 'rare breed' into a dog's description so that people will be more likely to adopt them, and usually those descriptions are waaay off.

American Brown Dogs for everyone. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

That's totally a pit bull dude, ain't no mutt at all. Seconding what others have said. :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Wow, what a beauty, I definitely see female Rhodesian in that face, and her eyes, and a lot of Rhodesians are actually born ridgeless; my in-laws have two without ridges, from rescue. She's got a refined, feminine muzzle that is characteristic of RR bitches, even though she's heavier in the body, and her eyes are amber, another breed trait. I'd probably go with GSD or GSD mix as the other half; RRs can have some white on them, but the coat looks heavier and GSD like.

Either way, gorgeous girl, congrats on your adoption! :3:

ETA: Whoa 88lbs? gently caress, maybe Anatolian/Ridge is a better option.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

^^Puppies are near impossible to identify as breeds, just because they're all potato shaped and cute. I'd say lab/pibble (the blond and white coloration is classic pit) but since one litter can have multiple fathers, it'd be hard to identify the content of them all.

Influence Device posted:

The humane society claimed she's half Chihuahua half Pomeranian but she looks like a Papillon to me

Beautiful little girl. :3:

I see nothing but puppy mill-bred Longhair Chihuahua in that dog. People often say Chis are mixed with Pomeranians when they have longer hair because they don't realize that Chis can also be long haired, not just short coated like the Taco Bell dog :downs:.

A lot of Pom/Chi or Pap/Chi mixes in rescue are really just poorly bred long haired Chihuahuas. :eng101:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

rysfade posted:

I think the short coated Border Collie is definitely a possibility, especially since there's a couple of them at the local rescue that look a lot like her. Not really seeing the Jack Russell though. One of my friends has one and we were just down there this weekend- she's well over twice his size (she weighs 45lbs) and her head and muzzle are really broad.

Border Collie x Pit is a really common farm cross for the ranchers in Northern/Central CA. I have no idea why, but my border collie lovin' ex-roommate says the San Jose SPCA is usually full of them. I could see that working, or maybe BC x some sort of mutted up anonymous farm dog. :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Nobody has mentioned rat terrier, but sometimes he really looks just like the RCA Victor logo dog, who I believe was a rat terrier.

To be totally pedantic, His Master's Voice was based on a fox terrier :smug: , which could also be a good basis for the little dude. Rats are smooth, foxes can be smooth or wire, and it looks like his coat is wirey (?) so in that case I'd go with JRT or wire fox terrier x BC or ACD.

Basically, as I'm finding out, terrier plus herding dog is a really common mix for rural areas/shelters that pull from rural areas. I guess that mix makes for a good all-around farm dog or else it's just a huge coincidence.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

candywife posted:

She looks like some pit/lab mixes I've seen...I even took her to a vet who said that she is probably one.
But, now she's fully grown and only weighs about 35 lbs, and is about knee high.
That seems really small for those breeds.

:eng101: Check out the Bully megathread; 35lbs is actually within ideal weight for an APBT.

And yes, totally a pit mix. :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

anachrodragon posted:

Shelters will often claim fancy breed names just because it helps for marketing the dogs apparently. She looks like an All-American Brown Dog to me, basically a mix of a mix of a mix, probably with a bunch of common American breeds somewhere in her lineage, but nothing discernible anymore.

Actually, while this is often the case, CodeWhite's dog looks pretty Rhodesian to me in the face/eyes and RRs are becoming more and more common nowadays. She looks a lot like some Rhodesian/Pit mixes I've seen and I wouldn't be surprised if she were more than 50% RR.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Yeah, that is either purebred Rhodesian or a very close mix; you can tell by the sighthound body shape combined with the feminine face, amber eyes and relatively small paws. Beautiful girl. :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

It's dangerous for mutt lovers to go into an animal shelter, even just to look. But my husband and I decided to go down to the high kill municipal shelter after lunch today. Part way through the kennels, we saw a sad red dog. An owner surrender...who is reported to be fifteen years old.

Not cool. It's sad enough that any dog is in a pound. But an old dog, deaf and arthritic, it just rips my heart out.

So, meet Lucille!

Her coat is horrible, she's got lots of growths and skin issues, but we'll see what good food and veterinary care can do. She had a dewclaw grown into the pad, which they clipped at the shelter before they let us go.

After meeting everyone and wandering the back yard, she's now crashed out on a soft pillow in front of the TV. Mutts are great...old mutts are the best.

Aw man, I wanna do this. I bet she's so grateful to be on a soft pillow right now. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

red19fire posted:

post 3 mile walk:

Man, normally when people are like 'My dog is a basenji mix!' I'm all 'Psshaw' because it's so rare for that to actually be true, but drat if your dog doesn't look like an exception. Basenji/Shepherd, maybe? Or Husky/Shepherd/Something Else?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Have no idea what he is, Pekinese, Tibetan Spaniel, Corgi, Pom... who knows. We rescued him about 4 years ago when he was about a year old. This is DJ.

What a babe! He looks a helluva lot like some Pom/Peke crosses I've seen (designer breeds ugghhh) but Tibetan Spaniels are getting popular now and that could be it too. Long low body and drop ears says Peke or Tibbie to me.

A 'Peagle' sounds like it would make some hilariously ineffective barks.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Chachikoala posted:

I'll try to snap a picture of her size compared to a GSD. She is A LOT smaller then the pure GSD at our obedience class who is the same age. Probably like 30-40 pounds smaller and maybe 5-10" at the head height.

Welcome to the world of backyard bred dogs, my friend. It's a biiiig variety.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Teddy does look remarkably Maltese. Maltese/yorkie is a popular mix these days (''morkie" ugh) with backyard breeders so I could see that, or also shi tzu/ Maltese.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Ehh maybe, but I've seen many supposedly purebred Maltese tipping the scales at over 15lbs. Chis are supposed to only be up to 6lbs, and so are Poms, but weird breeding has meant that you mostly see oversized/undersized dogs these days, not so much with the standard.

I could see Shih Tzu contributing to the size, they're fairly long and large dogs.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Puppies are pretty much impossible to identify til they grow up a bit, but the ears and feet make me say Corgi mix. Probably a Chihuahua/Corgi mutt as those are popular 'designer' mixes. :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Lab/JRT?

Possibly Lab/pointer-y thing?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

bionictom posted:

It looked like a perfect(asthetically speaking) mix of a Pitbul and a Boxer. It was taller and less stocky than a Pitbull (like a Boxer), but it had a very distinct Molosser face (Pitbull, Cane Corse, only slimmer). It's coat was black and white.

:science: Pit bulls are not designed to be stocky, but Boxers are. What you're thinking of are dogs that are bred with Amstaffs, Bulldogs and Mastiffs to get the low slung body, huge wide head and massive frame. A purebred American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is supposed to weigh 30-50lbs, with a light frame and much smaller head. Pit bulls are also not Molossors, they're Terriers. Cane Corso, Boxers and Mastiffs are Molossors, so it doesn't really make much sense to say that a pit would have a Molossor head and a stocky frame.

Check out the Bully breed thread. There are three distinct types of dogs that your average person will identify as 'pit bulls' and what most people think of when they imagine a pit is a stocky body, wide head and massive frame, which is actually correct for a Mastiff, not a pit.

Seconding that it was probably an American Bulldog, which also gets mistaken as a pit bull.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Canaan dogs are not really a breed so much as an amalgamation of semi-feral working mixes, at least thats what they're considered in Israel. My ex's Israeli father used to laugh at the American show breeders trying to form a standard and clubs around them.

I would guess BC mutt as your best bet. BC mutts are pretty much the equivalent of the rural American Canaan, since Canaans are just crosses of herding dogs and livestock guardian dogs.

The various breeds strangers come up with from a glance on the street are always amusing though. I've had multiple people swear to me that my dog was a purebred Peke or a Chihuahua mix. People don't know dogs.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 3, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Some combination of pit, cattledog and lab, maybe? I could also see pit/hound cross, maybe intentionally bred as a bay dog if you got her from a rural area where hog hunting is prevalent.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I would go with beagle/GSD for Abby and beagle/dachshund for Dottie.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Looks like a chihuahua/pug mix, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

That dog's a pit.

It seems like you have a different idea of what her breed means than what she actually is. She's not going to suddenly 'snap' and murder all of you, contrary to popular belief. Pits are wonderful, sweet, family dogs that are about as gentle as you can get. She may have a low drive for dog aggression, but dog parks still aren't a good idea because of the stimulation and chaos, not because she's an outright murder machine. There are many levels of drive in this breed, and dog aggression does not equal prey aggression or human aggression.

Check out the bully thread for more info.