Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
My parents got Barkley from the no-kill shelter I volunteer at. He was listed as a lab/gsd mix, but his markings look real Dobey to me. He's 60 lbs now. His ears and proportions have gone through a lot of changes, but he turned out a handsome gentleman!

Windswept look. (and same funny side-sit as Momo)

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Sailboat ears!

Still has huge ears at 6 months.

Click here for the full 800x581 image.

At his first birthday. He gained a white undercoat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Is his face as squishy as it looks?!

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

I want that collie mix! :3: How old is he?

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

About a year ago where I walk dogs there was a dutch shepherd. He was listed as a belgian shepherd mix but come on! He was a totally awesome dude. He would hug everyone he met and was really well-behaved (aside from jumping on everyone he met).

Here's an image for comparison.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

FAROESE WAFFLEHOUND posted:

This is my friend's literal Wal-Mart-Lot dog:

His name is Lorax, and he's full size. Anybody see any particular breeds in him? He has huge paws.

Looks like a stuffed animal to me. :colbert:

Maybe some schnauzer/spaniel?

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Spud's ears make me think of a french bulldog. They're about that size too, right?

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Swizzle looks like some Irish wolfhound (because she looks enormous), but that's not a very common breed so I'm not sure how that would happen.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Vintimus Prime posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what Leia is?

When I got her, the humane society said German Shepherd/Husky cross. What do you guys think?

That's such a gorgeous dog, holy poo poo. I think GSD makes sense, but at first glance something about the fur made me think "collie?"

And Aravenna, I think part anatolian could work, although I don't know how rare the breed is. They sometimes look sort of like generic brown-dog to me, but those (cute) ears are a good match.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Here's Barkley again (last time was like 3 years ago with waffleimages). I just saw in the wikipedia pictures of Australian kelpies that the black and tan ones look a lot like him! Are kelpies common at all in south Florida? He was listed as a lab/gsd, and I think he looks a little dobermany. But he's 60 lbs (55 if he wasn't a bit fat), which I think is a bit low for a mix of larger breeds.

Anyway, he's a cool dude.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Thank you for the responses! I got him at a shelter in Boca, which is fairly urban sprawl, but it's a no-kill so they take in from all over the place, and we certainly have some redneck/farm areas out west! He doesn't act like a herding dog, but then, he also doesn't act like a retriever for a guard dog. I will consider him "maybe kelpie mutt." Here are a couple baby pictures, you know, for research!

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

rear end Waffle posted:

I am fostering what I think is a German Shepherd mixed with a Rottweiler, what do you guys think? Another person sees Doberman in him, but I don't really see it. He does have a pretty spotted tongue.

He looks a lot like my dog Barkley (posted earlier) who was listed as a lab/gsd, who I thought was a small doberman/gsd/lab, but now I think he might be a kelpie mix. So depending on where you are, and what the dog weighs, maybe a kelpie mix?

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Part some kind of terrier? Yang is super-pretty!

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Those dogs stare into your soul in the goofiest way. I think that's pretty neat but it might weird out your friends. You'll want to talk to the shelter/place and meet the dog and figure out its energy and personality before you make a final decision anyway.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

She is adorbs! Does she have a tiny body or are those some long-rear end legs on her?

The shelter I used to volunteer at would get in Rhodesian ridgeback (or looked like it) mutts a lot. Does she have any interesting fur along her back?

Sutureself fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 18, 2012

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

She looks like a Dr. Seuss character! What's her weight?

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

I thought shiba-husky at first, but I guess it's just shaved on the body? Super-cute anyway.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

A great pyrenees with something smaller (any other dog)? I don't see anything that looks like a collie there, but maybe it's just missing in that photo.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

He might have something primitive in him, like husky, if he's already blowing you guys off at 14 weeks. :) Husky/BC/GSD maybe?

Husky I can totally see for this reason! I don't know if all puppy ears develop the same, but my dog had the sailboat-ears for a while as a pup and he's pretty shepherdy. That is a super-cute dog, I hope you don't own a lot of white clothing (or just don't mind the "I have pets" look).

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

I don't really see chow, mostly holy poo poo adorable. He is a leggy fellow.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Parents trying to get Barkley in the same pose 5 years later. (I miss this dog so much; gotta visit them again soon...)

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Is that roan and brindle? What the hell do you call that coat? That's a pretty rad dog.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

That groomer photo is kind of horrifying. Glad everything came back in!

Nthing chow. Maybe samoyed also if you don't want people to think she's a dick. (All spitz all the time!)

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

In January I got to visit my family and Barkley after almost a year away.

He folds his ears back so much, you guys. They stick up like a shepherd's, when he's sleeping or thinks no one is looking.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

I would guess anatolian shepherd mix but it could be anything! Look at that tail go. :3:

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

She is the muttiest mutt :3:

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Part cookies n cream ice cream I think. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

That is the muttiest mutt I think I've ever seen and he is so weird and it is great and I love him. Since you could probably get away with anything, I'd say if he chases stuff say he's a hound mix, and if he brings stuff back say he's a retriever mix, and if he herds stuff say he's a herd mix.

Aside from the DNA tests being slightly-to-hilariously inaccurate, my guess is if you did one your report would just be one giant question mark that is the size of the page.