Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008
I'm a scientist. My opinions are other people's facts.
Hey all.

This is Duke, the 4-5 mo. old whatsit and my current foster dog.

I've had him about 3 weeks now, and am seriously considering formally adopting him. He was given to me as a "lab mix", I thought the good folks at PI might have a better idea of what he might be a mix /of/.

Unfortunately, I don't have a stacked pic of him, but these show his coloration and general head shape. He's currently 20-25lbs, but he's got pretty big feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008
The pit factor is what makes me leery of taking the plunge. Not because I have any aversion to pibbles, but my bastard HOA and homeowner's insurance have unkind things to say about pits, staffies, GSDs, rotties, dobies, chows, or "Obvious mixes of the aforementioned breeds".

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008
It's the "obvious mix" clause that gets me. If he looks like an obvious pit mix to other people, he meets the criteria. This is espeically important with regard to my my insurance company. Failure to register an animal that met their "dangerous dogs" requirements would result in denial of any claims. At least, that's what the rep said when I called to ask.

On the other hand, I would not want to register a dog that was not an obivous mix, since it would cost me a fair chunk of change every year, money that could be spent spoiling the bugger rotten. I am happy to see that at least my insurance does not deem only the bully breeds to be "dangerous" but also the traditional guard dog breeds.

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008

trigger posted:

The pibble in him looks pretty dilute right now, but as he gets older it may become more apparent.

I say you should go for it anyway, because he is just so god drat cute. What does your HOA and/or insurance actually say? Are they outright banned, or do you just have to register them? What insurance do you have? I have AAA for home insurance, and they had to add a clause to our policy (I have a pibble), but I did not have to increase any of the liability coverage.

The HOA says that any dog of a breed commonly used for fighting or substantially similar to those breeds (read: crosses) must be leashed *and* muzzled on the park and greenspace.

Insurance (Sentinel) just wants $75 extra a year for a "dangerous dog".

Anyway, Duke didn't get adopted this afternoon, so he's with me another week at least while I make up my mind. :)

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008
An update on Duke: I decided that while I am perfectly happy to foster for a few weeks/month, I just don't have the life that is really conducive to keeping an energetic young dog.

He got to be the pet of the week, on the television and everything. He was adopted a couple of days later by a lovely family, who were perfectly happy to adopt a pibbly "lab mix". :)