Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

I'm very, very excited! I've been around animals my whole life (both my parents are zookeepers), but have never had more than a cat for any length of time where I lived. I'm finally in a space (my Dad's house :toot:) with a big yard and space to explore, so I went to the shelter to do some reconnaissance. I really didn't intend to adopt that day, but I met one-on-one with a few very good boys, and one in particular stole my heart. I only heard him bark once, right when I first walked through the door. When we visited he jumped - or, more accurately, barreled sideways - right up into me, licking my face and just demanding scratches all over his v. good face and ridiculously thick neck.

The shelter said his name was Scooby. I won't lie, considering he's clearly not much of a Great Dane this kinda bugged me, but he was already trained to come when called and :effort:. As an act of rebellion, when I was filling out his license with the city I did put his official name down as "Scoobs". So, y'know.

Anyway, we went home, and it kinda scares me just how well-behaved this dog is. He will politely ask for rubs/scratches by placing his paw on your knee or shoulder, and otherwise loves to spend his time napping at your feet (or in the coolest part of the house, depending on how hot it is). He's housetrained and will only poop in the corner of the yard. He doesn't eat anything he's not supposed to (he'll eat a treat if you give it directly to him, but if he just finds something on the ground he'll kinda sniff it then move on), he absolutely loves new people/dogs/cats/squirrels, and will sit or stay on command. Plus, he knows "shake". Bonus!

I can't get him interested in any toys: from ropes to squeakers to Kong wobblers to water sprinklers, nothing really seems to interest him. He kinda likes the squeaky taco he eyed at the store, but I'm pretty sure that's because I rubbed some treats on it once when we first got it and he's still licking off the residual meat-ghost atoms.

He's really attached to me, and apparently will sit at the door and whine when I leave, which absolutely breaks my heart. However, we've recently found a solution:

Give him a frozen beef bone on a hot day, and he'll ignore you for hours, followed by sprinting in ground-circles Three Stooges-style around a pampas grass bush and then getting a little slice on the wiener while trying to pee on it.

He is a gigantic fuckin' dork and I've never been happier :3:

I wish I had more photos, but as you can see my phone is a broken piece of garbage. Besides, he seems to be aware when a camera is on him and does his damndest to be an indiscernable brown blur.

Update: I should've known: treats in the Kong toy = nothing. Dog-safe peanut butter in the Kong toy? BEST GODDAMN THING IN THE WORLD

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can rename him still! Dogs are very adaptable and as long as you're consistent, he'll figure it out.

Congratulations on the new cutie!

Yeah I know, I'm just lazy and can't come up with anything better anyway!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Thanks guys, he's super handsome and lately has been waking me up in the morning by slapping me in the face, I love him so much :3: