Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Aw, a mutts thread! :3:

That's the only pic of him I have access to at the moment. But this is Shadow. He's a lab/GSD/maybe something else mix. The shelter people said they believe he had a little wolf in him but I really doubt that. I'm 20 now and I've had him since I was 14. We adopted him from a shelter shortly before he was to be euthanized.

He's been a fantastic dog. Very well-behaved, smart, and loving. He's VERY picky about food and the only treat he gets excited over is pig ears. But his absolute favorite reward is praise and petting. But if you'd like to take him for a walk as well, the last thing he would do is complain, since that is his favorite thing to do in the world.

His biggest fear is loud noises. On July 4th, he will be glued to your side the entire night, shaking, and refuse to go outside. I feel really bad for him but there's not much I can do. :( But if I'm upset, he's happy to let me lay down beside him and hug on him for a while. There's not an aggressive bone in his body (except when it comes to the squirrels, which he can never catch), he is all about pleasing people. :)

Here's a video of him getting excited for his walk: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v149/ShinimegamiSky/?action=view&current=goforawalk.flv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^^^ I don't know either, it definitely looks way more terrier-like to me than a German Shepherd any day.

Speaking of German Shepherds, I thought I'd stop by to post this new picture of my GSD/lab mutt when we took him on a hike last week. Afterward he was tuckered out and napped most of the ride home. :3:

Click here for the full 912x684 image.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It's been a while since I posted some pics of Shadow. He's obviously very GSD-y, but what else? I've always just said GSD/lab mutt, but now that I think about it, there's not really any reason to believe he has any lab in him (other than being all black, but so can GSDs). His personality is nothing like that of a lab's. His ears are neither GSD nor lab, no webbed feet, etc. His only passion in life is chasing squirrels. I've actually had a lot of people say they see greyhound in him, but I dunno. :confused:

The first two are pics of him after finding out some small creature lives in that hill. You can see how his tail curls up over his back when excited, it sticks farther up than in these pictures - the second picture being about half-mast. When alert his ears stick out to the sides. I'm sorry for the incoming wave of photos (no I'm not).

Standing on a log, surveying the area for squirrels.

Click here for the full 615x820 image.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It is his Favorite Thing Ever. :3: I have it framed by my bed.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

I Love You! posted:

That is not your dog that is a picture of a bear

He's part Karelian Bear Dog! :colbert: ...emphasis on the bear.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 17, 2011

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^^^ Corgi with the face of a pit bull you say?

(He's Dragon, my favorite shelter dog who recently went to a bully rescue. :3: )

I dunno, personally I don't see much corgi in Spud, but definitely some pittie or bulldog. Though I guess his ears are kind of corgi-esque... who knows. Cute nonetheless.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
he is a rare miniature american bulldog

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Anyone have any idea what the gently caress breed inspired these ears?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Phishi posted:

I <3 your dog, Skizzles. :3: His ears actually remind me of a few GSD mixes I've seen, including my own puppy! Hers are more stand-upey though. But she had littermates who had ears much like that, and I've seen others out and about. They're just trying so hard to be sail-like GSD ears! :3::3:

*cough, cough* GSDearsarethebestears *ahem*

It is true. GSD ears give me the squeelies. The rest of him looks very GSD, but those EARS! It's funny when I see him running in the wind and it makes them stand up and I'm like, "Now you're a REAL GSD! :haw:" I always just told people he was a lab/GSD mix, but honestly he acts nothing at all like a lab.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
lmfao @ the husky/corgi. loving adorable. :3:

walrusonthehill posted:

I could be off, but perhaps a golden retriever/terrier mix of some sort? Looks almost like an old terrier mix my mom had but we had no clue what was in him either.

At the risk of derailing, I agree she looks really chubby there. Angles can do weird things, so it's hard to tell. With older dogs it can be pretty hard to manage their weight because they don't have the energy they used to, but good on you for the diet (assuming it's a proper one). My dog is 10 and gets two half-hour walks a day, plus a 15 minute walk before bed. What's her weight, if I may ask?

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 18, 2011

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
40lbs doesn't sound too bad, but without knowing her height it's hard to say. Also, some vets aren't so good with knowing whether or not a pet is overweight. The majority of dogs are overweight these days and they're now The Norm, so some people (vets included) see a chubby dog and think they look fine. They see a dog that's in actual good shape and they shriek, "you're STARVING the poor thing!" It's silly, really. Either way, unless your dog has an injury or something, more walks are never a bad thing. :)

UGGHHH sorry I will stop derailing. I almost think she looks like a Norfolk terrier mix, but that could be a stretch. Maybe even a small amount of beagle in there. I dunno, I just see something a little beagle-y to her face. Unfortunately you have on of those terrier mutts that's a bitch to identify sometimes. Cute face, though. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah Farlow looks like a possible shepherd/golden mutt to me, with a bit of who knows what else in there. There's something almost beagle-y about her face.

I'm getting really tired of all the people seeing black/purple on a dog's tongue and immediately declaring "CHOW!!!!" When will people get over this misconception? :doh:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah I'm seeing cattledog too. That tail seems kinda shepherd-y, but that don't mean much. Border collie is also quite possible. Kinda hard to tell his size there.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Sparkle Biscuit posted:

The shelter said she was a GSD and Collie mix. I definitely see the GSD. The Collie seems present mostly in her bicycle seat shaped head.

I could see her being a GSD/smooth collie mix, actually. It'd be easier to tell with a picture of her standing. She's gorgeous. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I vote pit/GSD. I'm not the only one seeing pit in his face right?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

kinmik posted:

Actually, looks like it could be a Belgian Shepherd mix.

Tertiary Stresses posted:

We tried to figure out what he was, but quickly came to the conclusion that he's 1/2 brown dog, 1/2 dumb dog, and all awesome.

Obviously a lot of GSD in there. No tellin' what else. :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It's really hard to tell what's in there other than a whole lot of terrier. Maybe even a hint of GSD? Terrier mixes are always the hardest to ID it seems.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
My mom lives in backwoods Arkansas where it's not uncommon for animals to get dumped and whatnot. The other day, someone dumped THIS at her house...

Any idea what kinda dogs are in that puppy (ignore the stupid pugs)? I said it was probably just a hound mix, but it's hard to tell. It's the only pic she's sent me so far.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
ACK, how did I not think of greater Swiss mountain dog?! He does look like he has quite a bit of that in him, perhaps. I'm going to make her send more pics. :argh:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah that's why my brain automatically went to hound is 'cause you don't see 'em too often, and hounds would be pretty common in rural Arkansas.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Mom sent me another picture of the puppy that was dumped on her. Be really interesting to see how he looks as he gets older.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Skizzles posted:

Mom sent me another picture of the puppy that was dumped on her. Be really interesting to see how he looks as he gets older.

Mom took her (turns out it's not a boy, way to go, mom) to the vet and the vet says beagle mix, and that she would get up to about 15 lbs. :/ Mom insists that there's some border collie in there... yeah, I doubt it. Who the gently caress knows. She's not gonna keep her anyway.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Looks like he may be a norfolk terrier mix. Maybe even some cairn or norwich terrier in there somewhere too.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Welp, that solves that, Major is a supernatural Celtic hound. :iamafag:

I can see how someone might call him a rottie mix. He has a rottie stature/shape, to me, anyway. I'd say rottie/pointer, or something. Maybe rottie/pointer/lab. I am interested in the results. :allears:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I thought coonhound/foxhound when I first saw her too. If she's still a puppy then she may very well get bigger than you expected.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
She looks kinda like a pomeranian/chihuahua mix to me. Maybe some papillon in there too?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Snow Job posted:

I see Aussie mix. Hard to tell what else is crammed in there. But that is some impressive butt-fluff. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Aussies aren't the only ones with those markings/colors. I'm not very good with terrier ID, but there's obviously a lot of terrier in there. Looks like a wire-haired Jack Russell mix to me. Anyone else see it?

Adorable. :3:

edit: His coloring reminds me a lot of a Catahoula, but that's about it. Someone crammed a Catahoula in a Jack Russell body, mystery solved, hth

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 29, 2011

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Dachshunds can be merle ('dapple'), and that face definitely looks like a dachshund to me. But mixed with something taller, maybe poodle? Poodle coats can go weird and wiry when they're crossed.

Snow Job, I see border collie x golden. I have a feeling she'd be bigger if that were the case though?

YES, I forgot about the dapple-y dachshunds.

And golden hit the nail on the head as far as what that dog reminded me of in the face.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
In my experience, most vets/shelter/rescue workers are TERRIBLE at identifying breeds. Their gut reaction when they see a merle is always "WELP IT'S AN AUSSIE." And anything black and tan is automatically a GSD mix. Or if you're my shelter, EVERYTHING is a loving smooth collie mix for some reason. Ugh.

I don't know how common the wire-y Jacks are, but I vote he's a mix of that and dapple Dachshund, or maybe regular Jack/dapple Dachshund/poodle. It's true poodle coats can go a little crazy when mixed.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah I personally don't see much Aussie in him. A life less is biased. :colbert:

But that's also the problem with puppies is it's sometimes really hard to tell until they grow up.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah I thought it was pretty common for any water-related breed to have webbed feet, like labs. I too still say dapple doxie/JRT.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah, I wouldn't fret over it too much. Several months ago some stranger made a comment wondering if my dog was a purebred GSD, which got me wondering if - gasp - maybe he was! Maybe he just doesn't look like a normal black GSD because he was poorly bred, whoa!

...even though it's painfully obvious he's a mutt and that guy was a moron. But his purebred white GSD had ears that didn't stand up, so clearly my non-pricked ear GSD mix was purebred too! :downs:

edit: My point is I stopped caring so much and was better off for it. It's fun to ponder, but beyond that, meh.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 4, 2011

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
My first thought was American Bulldog also, but Boxer is a possibility as well I think.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah I definitely see a lot of Iggy in there. Her face looks a little something else though, like a JRT maybe?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Well maybe your ~*special snowflake UK JRTs*~ look different. :colbert: I frequently see JRTs that are kinda all over the place here. :smith: But no, you're right.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^^^ That's exactly what I thought too. Super cute.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah my money's on a badly bred (not that there's any other kind) "yorkiepoo" thing. I guess it's possible it's just a badly bred Yorkie, but goddamn they missed the mark pretty hard.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I immediately thought beagle/cattle dog too when I saw him. This is the only instance in which I would approve of a designer dog name because then it could be a Battle Dog! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Looks like it could be an Aussie mix. Maybe even some Chow or pit in there...? Interesting looking for sure. How does Sunday like him? :3: