Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Well aren't you just a GENE-ius. :colbert:

what I did there

do you see it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Sutureself posted:

Is that roan and brindle? What the hell do you call that coat? That's a pretty rad dog.

It's called merle.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah but he looks mostly merle. It is kind of hard to tell.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm also nthing BYB chow. Handsome girl though. :3 What the hell kind of mix up happened with that groomer?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

pizzadog posted:

That's a sweet germanhuahua you have there!

I adopted this girl just before Xmas, pit bull x something?

She's definitely not pure, she's not blocky or large enough, she's about 30 lbs now at 7-8 mos.

I'm with a life less. All I see at this point is pit. Not all pits are super blocky. Some are quite lean, and they're not supposed to be 80lb monsters. Around 30+ lbs is pretty normal pit weight. She's still definitely got time to fill out a bit more.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I dunno how much you know about pits, but this is a pure APBT: http://www.stillwaterkennels.com/-%20New%20Folder%20(2)/Customer%20Pics/MartysLilBitVelcro.jpg (countdown to Super coming in to tell me I posted a horrible example or something, looks like it's related to Lil Bit?)

This is not an APBT (it's an abomination): http://images03.olx-st.com/ui/1/15/63/4491263_1.jpg

Don't ask PI to get into the whole "what really makes a dog an APBT" discussion, because we've been through that and it's... a mess. You appear to just have a generic adorable shelter pit there. Those socks. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah he's definitely a pudgy pudge. :3: Shaving dogs is REALLY unnecessary, and can even be harmful. The tl;dr of it is their coats are adapted to keep them warm in winter AND cool in summer - the guard hairs trap cool air against the skin and reflect the sun. The undercoat should be brushed out though (can't tell if your pup has much of an undercoat though, on my phone).

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Based on what I see I would also go with beagle/jack russell. Got any body shots of her?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah cattledogs aren't supposed to be that big. Looks like she could very well be all cattledog. But breeds don't always show through physically, so she could easily be a mix as well. Who knows. :iiam:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I would be concerned as to why these people are breeding rescue mutts. I don't know if they're a lovely backyard breeder or maybe they're just people who had two unfixed dogs and a gross lack of supervision/management.

I'm personally not fond of yorkies or bichons. I've found they're notoriously difficult to house-train. They're pretty much just living decor. But I'm pretty biased in that I really like larger, functional dogs with drive and a purpose. To each their own. So it really depends what you're looking for in a dog.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah (properly) socialize it to children and everything and you should be fine. The critical socialization period is roughly 4 to 16 weeks of age. Definitely look into the training megathread for stuff on house-training. Be prepared to spend money on grooming a fair bit (but you may have done that with your Scottie anyway), and def do what Fat Dio recommended on looking up the grooming prep. Getting your puppy comfortable with grooming early can save you and the dog from a lot of stress later. We currently live with my boyfriend's mom's bichon and she's okay, but very poorly house-trained and a bit bitchy with some dogs. I'm sure with better training/socialization she could have been a cool little dog. I'm fine with "companion dog" being a dog's purpose too, they're just really not for me.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Now tell him to please stop shaving his good dog.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
He looks to me like maybe a boxer/coonhound or foxhound cross.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I got a distinct GSD/ACD vibe from his pictures, so I think that's a strong possibility.

Big Head Rico posted:

Adopted this guy about a month ago from a local rescue. The previous owners gave him up due to one of their parents having allergies. His mom was a dapple dachshund. No clue what dad was. Maybe a blue heeler?

I need to get some better pictures when he's feeling more playful. He's not emo all the time as the pictures may suggest.

Looks like he could be straight up cattledog/dachshund mix. Very cattledog looking. Love that eye spot. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Maybe some kinda golden retriever/husky/chow mish-mash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Nah my dog's Wisdom Panel results seemed pretty spot on. Said he's mostly GSD/lab/rottweiler. I dunno about the rottie but ~anything's possible~