Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

His paws look pretty small, so my guess is that he'll probably be a smallish-to-medium dog when grown - maybe 20lbs, 30 tops?

:pseudo: Looks like a miscellaneous terrier mix to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Sapid posted:

I don't see either Heeler or Husky here - both the ears and fur texture are uncharacteristic for those breeds. How sure are you? Regardless, she's really beautiful.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Scary Ned posted:

You definitely have an Australian cattledog mix there, the freckles give it away. Look at Brisbane in the OP, when he was a baby and then grown up. Cattledog puppies start out white and then freckle up as they age. Enjoy your heeler, they're amazing.

Nope. Ticking like that isn't uncommon in Aussies either. I definitely see the aforementioned Lab/Aussie in him. He's absolutely gorgeous... and what a face!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Gumby posted:

This picture screams Golden/Duck Toller to me.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

snarkcookie posted:

There's definitely some Aussie in her. Unfortunately I'm not going to be much help placing what else there might be. She's absolutely beautiful though.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Dr. Octagon posted:

What do you guys think?

17 pounds at 8 weeks? I think she's going to be loving huge.

My pup was 9 lbs at 8 weeks, and will be ~40 fully grown.

I don't have any good guesses though -- Malamute isn't a bad idea looking at her coat texture. She's a bit too young to see anything concrete yet.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

The spotting you see is normally referred to as ticking, and it comes in gradually as the dog ages. Aussies can also tick like that, but I've not seen them come in that late before. Cohen got her few ticks within the first 6 months or so.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I think the math is that at 4 months they're half their adult weight, and at six months they're three-quarters of it.

No idea about the mix though. It's just Awesome Dog.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

She looks like a border collie cross to me.

She's nice and trim, but not too skinny. I wouldn't worry about putting too much more weight on her. If her hip bones have a bit of padding on them I wouldn't worry.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Furminators or shedding rakes are great for shedding season. Otherwise I'd probably just use a slicker brush, but I don't know for sure -- I've always had medium coated dogs.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I'd still like to know though.

I think you would need to post a few better shots of her head (and the rest of her body) for us to hypothesize about her mix. She does look vaguely pit, but loads of mixes with no pit content can end up looking like that regardless.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Fear can lead to aggression. You're going to have to get to work getting her more comfortable with other dogs.

Good books:

The Power of Positive Dog Training, Pat Miller
and
Don't Shoot the Dog!, Karen Pryor

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Just got Angus's DNA horoscope back! Any last guesses before I reveal the awful truth?

Shih tzu and silky terrier?

Wulfolme posted:

Anyone got a guess what Lee is?

He's an Australian Shepherd -- he might be an Aussie mix, or he might be a not terribly well bred purebred. My guess is the latter.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

An internet-friend of mine just sent me a photo of his dog, an ACD/Pit cross.

She looks like a short-haired Brisbane. Her name's Megatron.

Click here for the full 1000x800 image.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Guess the breed!

Immediately looked like a Border Collie/Akita mix. (Sorry for being unoriginal.)

There might be some Blue Heeler in there too.

The coat texture screams primitive breed. The head looks like a herder to me.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

My dog was also about ten pounds at ten weeks. She's now ~35lbs and 19 inches at the shoulder at a year old.

My guess is the dog will be between 40 and 50 pounds all told.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Cristatus posted:

Now that he's two years old (and almost 65 pounds), it's pretty clear he's got something else mixed in there.

So he's a bit of a mystery. But I'm awfully fond of this mutt.

He reminds me of a Dutch Shepherd -- the general shape of the face and the brindle. They're not terribly common, so the likelihood of one being mixed with your brother's mutt is slim, but... (I'd say the other half/three quarters/whatever are American Browndog.)

They're drat fine lookin' dawgs.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

rysfade posted:

Making my first post ever to see what you guys think my dog Holly might be. I adopted her from a small county shelter in Northern California two years ago. The surrendering owners had her listed as a Bull Terrier mix, but I think with the area she's from its a lot more likely that she's an actual Pit Bull mix, or some variant. A lot of the time I list her as a straight 'Herding breed mix' because of the inevitable "baby eater! zomg" looks I get here in the mid-west.

She's such a sweetheart, and loves to cuddle.

Click here for the full 519x778 image.

First thought was a cross between a Jack Russel Terrier and short coated Border Collie. There could be some pit in there, but almost all mutts end up looking kind of pitty.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Serella posted:

Can anyone give me any clues as to what kind of dog my boyfriend has? She's some sort of mutt he adopted a few years ago. She's about 18 pounds of boundless energy, with a completely smooth black and tan coat and a tail that curves upward. I suspect there might be dachshund mixed up in there somewhere, but she seems very terrier-ish as well.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

She looks a lot like a Chihuahua I know, but is about twice the size. She's probably just a super mutted up terrier mix, but hey maybe there's some Chi in there.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

eXigence posted:

lookit dis dawg

shelter said he was a sheltie mix, any suggestions?

Sheltie/Jack Russel Terrier (or a miscellaneous terrier mix) in my humble opinion.

I hope you like barking!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

wtftastic posted:

I posted Bailey over in the random nonsense thread, but I figured why not ask here?

The shelter had him listed as an Australian Cattle dog mix, and he got returned from him first adopter because he was destroying stuff to go herd horses in the field next door, so he's obviously got some herding type dog in him.

But, he's pretty stockily built and he's got a very heavy head, he's long but low to the ground...I wanna say he's almost got a Lab type head, but I don't know.

He also doesn't seem horribly energetic. At the moment.

He's very definitely an ACD -- I'm doubtful whether he's even a mix.

As you can see, this Ch. is crazily heavily built, long and low.

I mean, he's got kind of houndy ears, and houndy chops (I think -- can't really tell from this angle) but everything about him screams ACD. Could be some Lab in him, way down the line. Maybe. I would just think of him as a BYB ACD.

Looks a lot like Ginny Field's ACD, Ginny, actually.

Also, re: the stump, there are ACDs called "Stumpy Tailed Australian blah blah blahs". They're ACDs with a naturally bobbed tail.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Lixer posted:

The warmer weather seems to tire her out quicker, but I wonder at what cost. I'm worried that we're not going to be able to walk her in the Texas heat (and on the pavement) pretty soon.

Living in Canada, I don't exactly have to deal with Texas heat. But get used to carrying a dog water bottle around where ever you take your pup and offering it up for a drink constantly. The heat will definitely sap her energy, for better or worse.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Elixibren posted:

He was found by a student of mine (I'm a dog trainer) who knew I was looking for a boxer for SAR work.

A Boxer for SAR? I was under the impression that Boxers had mediocre senses of smell and that SAR dogs used their noses a lot. Apparently I'm mistaken on either one or both counts.

The boxer in my agility class can't find treats dropped on the floor without a prolonged search.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Yo, imma blob posted:

A boxer in agility? How does it cope with all that activity and that short little nose?

It's just low-level stuff. It's a class I help teach with a focus on learning the obstacles. The dog does okay, but needs to take breaks often and can wear out easily. I doubt she'll ever go on to compete or anything, but for now she's fine.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

GidgetNomates posted:

I guess I've just never seen a JRT or pit bull with ears like his, but I suppose there's no reason they can't have them! That was the only part of Quincy's appearance that was really throwing me off.

Image stolen from a blog I read. I think her ears illustrate the point quite well. She's a pibble with some crazy ears.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

RepliCarter posted:

I figured this would be a good place to seek advice...

We took in a mutt today. A mutt that my grandparents bought about six years ago for $500 at a pet store in the mall. Yep, a "designer breed". A Peagle to be exact. They decided they couldn't take him with them to their new condo and my grandfather didn't want him to go to a shelter or magically disappear(grandmother doesn't value animals at all and has a history of dumping them off in rural areas).

So now we have Buddy. I wasn't thrilled about this, in fact I'm pissed. I don't want him here but seeing as how I'm just a bum that doesn't pay bills, I have no say in anything.

Maya, our massive mutt isn't too thrilled and neither are the cats. And my god, the cats. He chases them and whines and snarls. I have a baby gate in my doorway and I put their food, water, and litter boxes in there... But they shouldn't have to live in terror of this fat ugly ball of fury. Will he get over it and get used to them and vice versa? Will he kill my poor cats? I've been a nervous wreck all day and I can't get any rest. :smith:

Basically you need to give all the animals their separate space right now. Keep the new dog separated from the cats especially. Give the cats plenty of places to hide and raised areas to escape to. With time they may acclimatize. Then again, they may not. It depends on how easily spooked your cats are, and how intent on chasing the new dog is.

You can help it along by performing some counter conditioning exercises with all the animals in relatively close proximity but still separate. Reading through some of the Training Megathread might help you out too.

Also, what the gently caress is a Peagle?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

EVG posted:

Yep! He is full grown but kept the adorable gangly puppy look.

Definitely some sort of herding dog - we were thinking aussie because of the blue eye and what looks like some merling on his nose/paws. Mixed with Eskimo or some sort of spitz, is our best guess!

That's not merle on his nose/paws, it's ticking. A lot of dog breeds have 'em (like Aussies). Ticking is a darkening of the fur. Merle, simply speaking, is a patchy lightening of it.

Aussie/misc Spitz is still a good guess though.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Looks just like the elderly rescue Jacks I know. My first thought was Jack x Beagle, but who knows.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Looks just like a Jack Russell Terrier mix to me. Some JRTs have long backs -- I would doubt there's any Doxie in there.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

punakone posted:

Also a question, while he is obedient and does listen to what I tell him, could you people who've had similarly stubborn dogs like Akitas and such give any advice to training him?

Yeah, was going to say he looks low-content if anything.

The trick to training primitive dogs is convincing them that they want to do what you want to do. Positive punishment (scolding, leash popping, etc) has little to no effect and can easily end up poisoning your relationship. It's all about adding value to the behaviours you find desirable and calmly stopping reinforcement to ones you do not. Train in small bursts and make everything from sitting on cue to recalling a great bit happy game with awesome rewards.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

MoCookies posted:

I'd go with Australian Cattle Dog rather than Australian Shepherd, especially with the less than fluffy coat. However, I'd label the little bugger as a terrier mix over either one of those. Jack Russell's a pretty good candidate, I think. Good luck with him - those are all 3 very smart and athletic breeds, and he's drat cute. :)

ACDs aren't merle - they're just heavily ticked.

I'd go with Aussie/Terrier mix.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

orenji posted:

Also, what's doxie?

Doxie = Dachshund.

It's the same way Iggie = Italian Greyhound and Sheltie = Shetland Sheepdog. 'Cause people are lazy and like abbreviations.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

If I saw that dog on the street I would say he's a kelpie. I don't know how common they are in the States though, and he doesn't look much like a show-bred one.

Yeah, when those photos popped up my first thought was Kelpie too.

It's probably not too likely, as they're not a common breed in the States, but it's a possibility. Definitely looks like one.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

The wrinkles and concerned expression remind me a lot of my friend's Ridgeback.

e: not saying it IS a ridgeback, 'cause plenty of breeds have those forehead wrinkles. But...

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, my money would be on fattyfat BC. But the breeds can be so similar in appearance it can be tough to tell sometimes.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

She looks to have ridiculous Shar Pei ears.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

It's too early for a backpack. I would wait until she's at least a year old before trying one out, and wait 'til she's 2 years old to add any actual weight (anything +1lb).

Training, nosework games, fetch, tug, hide and seek, tricks and flirt poles are other good ways to tire dogs out.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Looks like a Lab (e: or Golden)/Poodle puppy.

a life less fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 25, 2012

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

mombot posted:

I really don't know how big they get or how fast, so this might be a reach, but with the popularity of "golden doodles" that is what I'm thinking, but she may be too small to fit with that. She sure is cute though! Another thought is maybe shih tzu/poodle.

I've seen a number of "Mini Goldendoodles" which weigh in at no more than 15lbs. Of course, their structure is atrocious (and their temperaments leave something to be desired) -- but they definitely can come pretty tiny. It's often a result of breeding a Golden to a small standard Poodle, then breeding THAT to a mini, and breeding THAT to a toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Veskit posted:

What do you mean by structure and temperament?

Since people so often are so crazy about tiny, cute dogs, irresponsible breeders focus on creating more tiny dogs. However, "is it small?" is just about the only question these crappy breeders ever ask themselves - not "does it move well?" "does it have a stable temperament?" or "can it survive 2 minutes outside in the winter?". Breeding larger dogs down to smaller sizes also does a number on their structure - I have a ~mini goldendoodle~ in one of my classes right now who has stubby, curved legs, no neck, and a huge head.

That's not to say that your pup will be a problem (heck, it's tough to say if that's what it is to begin with) but that just the deck tends to be stacked against dogs like this due to the greed and conceit of crappy breeders.