Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Wow, those blue eyes ...

This is Buster:

He's lab/pit/herding dog/misc. as far as my best guess goes. We actually got him DNA tested out of curiosity, but he's such a mutt they couldn't really determine precisely what he was, just give us a percentage of types his DNA fell into. I was surprised because he looks like he's mostly pit. His DNA test says he is 73% "hunting dog" and my best guess is lab due to his personality.

He is the best dog. He's completely lazy and he doesn't care what shenanigans you pull on him as long as he can be part of the activity, which leads to me doing things like this:

Doggie of Arabia :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

rivals posted:

Was the test that you got able to recognize pit? We thought about doing it for our pit mix pup but none of the tests we found recognized pits so we figured all of the results would be jumbled/inaccurate.

I was going to try to find the test so I could tell you exactly what was on it, but it's put away where I can't get to it right now. Basically, it first divided his genetic heritage between several "types" of dogs. The main types he fell into were hunting (73%), mastiff (13%) and herding (9%). I guess he could have been any combination of breeds within those type.

Then they compared his exact DNA to all of the different types of DNA they had in their database and showed us the closest matches that they had in their database. They had no close matches at all, and the closest were random mixes of different breeds that didn't seem plausibly to be anything like our dog and only had a very tiny percentage matching anyway. I think the test did have American Staffordshire on it, which is what the rescuer's best guess as to what he was had been so that was what I was looking for. It turns out he's even more of a mutt than we probably first thought, though.

Unfortunately, the company that I got the test from was bought out by a pharmaceutical company and ceased operations, so the test I did is no longer available and the database no longer accesible. It's kind of disappointing because part of the appeal was the ability to keep looking up in the database to see if they had found closer matches (as unlikely as that probably is).

I also have no idea how accurate these tests are. It seems to me most of them just match up the dog with the examples of purebred DNA and I'm guessing the greater the mix the harder it is to really identify. I've read some funny reviews of people with giant dogs getting back results of "toy poodle" and I'm guessing that's a lack of complete breed info so that the test just picks up some trace of something in there because it has no match to the more dominant breeds.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

My dog is part AmStaff and his head/muzzle is also a lot less blocky than a typical pit, and he's generally more slender. About 55 lbs: