Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Guess the breed!

His papers say "Border collie mix." His vet immediately thought, "Akita mix." Could be both. I'm not sure I want to do the DNA test right now. I'm waiting till it gets cheaper.

He is 10 weeks old and weighs 10 pounds. He learns really fast. He doesn't like to hear the word "no" but he hears it a lot.

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Thanks! Endless supply of energy, check. Herding instinct, check. Unfortunately his herding instinct is currently focused on my cats. They are Not Happy. But they are schooling him.

Any guesses on how big he might get? Border collie big, akita big? (Gulp. My husband was after a mid-sized dog--say, Sheltie size.)

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

I think he must be related to rysfade's dog, somehow!

This one gives a better idea of his shape.

He's still a puppy, 4 months old, now at 20 pounds.

He's an alleged BC mix. On walks around the neighborhood we have gotten 4 votes for BC and Jack Russell Terrier, 3 votes for BC and Akita, and one vote for BC and ACD.

Nobody has mentioned rat terrier, but sometimes he really looks just like the RCA Victor logo dog, who I believe was a rat terrier.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

snarkcookie posted:

This is Keira's best friend Bugs

I love what he's done with his ears!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

pik_d posted:

Yeah Farlow got that reaction a bit, the purple on her tongue has slowly grown from just being spots to covering probably 70% of it now.

Just wanted to say I've always enjoyed your pix of Farlow--she's adorable.

I should get some pix of my puppy on here. He's adorable too!

So here he is:

It is really kind of hard to get a picture that shows his eyes.

He has the greatest coat. Short, quick-drying, sheds dirt, but he doesn't shed a lot, at least, not now. There was a period in the spring where he walked around in a cloud of white hair. But since then, not much.

So I can take him to a dog park that's all dirt, but has water, and he can get muddy, and by the time we get home--he's clean and dry!

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 14, 2011

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

This one shows his tail in a non-running position.

He came from a puppy rescue that called him a BC mix. I don't know if that was based on any firm knowledge of his mom, or if it was just a guess based on his coloring. He's definitely a herding dog of some sort, though.

Eight months old, 35 pounds, at the shoulder he comes about up to my knee. Loves to run, loves to leap impossibly high after the frisbee (although he's not very good at catching it--the point seems to be to jump at it, although he does stop it, knock it to the ground, and bring it back).

I think he might be really good at agility. Mutts can do agility, right? I mean that they are allowed into the competition. If not it's discrimination by god.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

This is Pongo

He looks like the Colorado version of the --what was it, Ohio Multispot Mutt?
Here is a more typical tail position:

He is allegedly a Border Collie mix. Well, we can see that. Probably cattle dog in there, too. When I first posted his picture when he was a puppy, somebody noted that his coat looked like a primitive breed, and that would fit with some of his behavior.

The thing is, he looks a lot like a Canaan dog. I had never heard of this breed but somebody told me, "Oh, he looks exactly like a Canaan dog," so I googled it. (There is quite a long list of dogs he looks like to other people walking other dogs. Includes husky, GSD, Shiba Inu(!) and pit bull(!!) and I guess he could have all that in his heritage for all we know.)

He does look a LOT like the Canaan dog, though. But that's a rare breed, and what are the odds that a rare breed would turn up in a shelter in rural southern Colorado? Pretty slim, I bet.

He sure does like to herd things (cats, people, his toy collection) and while he's usually quite biddable he has about one hour per day, usually, when he gets obstinate. He's a year and a half old--well, a bit younger in these pictures, but not much.

ETA: Okay, these pictures are huge. I resized them on Photobucket. I even copied the IMG file again, even though it was the same, and they are still huge. I am sorry. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong here. These don't look that big when I preview post, and yet...

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 3, 2012

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Skizzles posted:

I'm curious, what do you guys think is in Maci? I think her head looks really German Shepherdy. So maybe GSD/BC? We tease that rescue about labeling everything a BC mix because they have a huge thing for BCs.

She looks a lot like my dog, who is also a rescue labeled BC mix.

I think the reason so many dogs are out there is that there are a lot of farm dogs/ranch dogs that look like this and are unspayed/unneutered.

I can also see why you see GSD, though. Something about the general set of the head.

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 11, 2012

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

I always wanted a dog like Tramp, of Lady and the Tramp. A happy-go-lucky mutt with triangular ears that folded down but still looked jaunty.

What kind of mutt was he supposed to be, anyway?

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

notlodar posted:

Here's a sad sack of poo poo yard dirt digger. 1/8 amstaff 1/8 whippet according to phoney DNA test.

Love the ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

New dog! Aussie mix (she has a tail!)

But, Aussie and what else? People on walks have guessed...Brittany spaniel (can see, used to have a Brittany, don't really think so though because of the ears), pit bull, border collie, German short-haired pointer.

She's a shelter dog, 6 years old, very sweet!