Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
We added a new family member last Saturday.

He's a mystery dog. Found by animal control with who they think was his brother 4 weeks ago. Brother got adopted out 2 weeks ago. They think he's 2 years old from his teeth, but other than that - nothing. He appears house broken, but he's not leash trained.

There's Dachshund in him, but I have no idea what the other half is. We were thinking Jack Russel, but he's a slug. A few have suggested Corgi, but he's got longer legs than either a Weiner dog or a Corgi.

We will probably need a DNA test to figure out whether this is a Dorgi or a Jackshund.

Also, holy crap is it difficult to find a harness or collar that works with small, long dogs. He can get out of almost anything by just going in reverse no matter how tight I make the straps. He's like a little torpedo, there's nothing to snag on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Looks like a Jack Russell or mix thereof to me.

I just noticed this post from months ago, he’s a dachshund/Jack Russell mix - heavy on the dachshund. Whatever terrier is in him is purely looks because Max’s a slug.

We are picking up a rescue next week whose supposedly a corgi terrier mix. 3 years old and 30 pounds. Picked up by animal control with a belly full of babies, which she delivered and weaned after she got to the rescue shelter. Now that all the puppies have been adopted she’s ready to go herself. Just waiting for her to heal after spaying.

Might have to get a DNA test on this one. Will tests show me what kind of terrier she is? I’m starting to think she’s a Corgi Pit. Huge head, little tiny legs. But if that’s the case she’s a very small Corgi Pit. We’ll call her Ruby.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Instant Jellyfish posted:

She's super cute! American pit bull terriers aren't huge dogs and I don't personally see any corgi traits in her face at least. There are lots of pits with big goofy bat ears :3: She could just be a breed/mix with dwarfism!

Embark has all the various bully/terrier breeds and will tell you specifics instead of just terrier. Wisdom panel tends to group things together more, especially for the bully breeds. Black Friday the embarks should get down to $129 for the breed+health test and you can often find the breed only test for as low as $79.

Yeah, the corgi may not be accurate. A Corgi Pit weighs 30 to 50lbs so she's in range, but just barely. Most pictures of that mixed breed seem to have more corgi in the face. Thanks for the DNA suggestions, we'll keep an eye out for Embark on sale.

My kid's so excited. She loves the pointy ears and none of our other dogs ever liked toys, but Ruby is obsessed with them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Friend posted:

Unless they've fixed it in the last few months, you can add a kit to your cart, and when it says "add another for only $135" add that one and remove the original and you can just buy the discounted one (or multiple discounted ones!)

Can confirm, it does work. Just ordered a kit for $135. Thanks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Our Embark DNA test results came back on our "corgi/terrier" mix and there's no corgi, but there is some beagle, a bit of chow, a dash of labrador, and some dalmation that must be cross contamination.

50% American pit bull terrier. Shocked I tell you, just shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The beagle/pits I've met have all been super sweet dogs. She looks like a good friend :3:

Embark has a system that picks up cross-contamination and they would have sent you a new swab so if both your dogs just happen to have a bit of dalmatian there might just be a weird number of dalmatians in your area for some reason.

Yeah, I figure the Embark results are accurate enough. They predicted her coat, her weight, her coloring and alerted us a potential liver issue with her breed to keep an eye out for. Which is good to know since we lost our previous pit mix to probable liver failure. It's a silly luxury to get your dog's DNA tested, but I would have just spent that $135 on booze anyway.

And yes, like every pit mix I've known she's the sweetest thing ever while being simultaneously terrifying. The way she plays with our weiner dog by putting his whole head in her mouth. He comes out of every scuffle unharmed, but covered in slobber.