Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
Here is mine, Bassett Hound mix.

At 3 months old

Why so serious?

Big smile for the camera

And a few months later.

Woke him up

Bonus picture of his new lady, yes she is super skinny, took her in as a previously abused stray I am rehabilitating.
Edit: On second thought she doesn't really belong here as she looks like pure rottweiler but I'll leave them up cause she needs all the love she can get.

Traxxus fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

Master_Jay posted:

Most people sell Jackapoos and puggles and all those designer mutts for 200-300 now. I've looked at shelters, but most dogs that are a good fit usually get taken the same day they are put into the shelter.

Welcome to PI. Get an umbrella, shitstorm coming your way.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

Sharpie Fix posted:

Actually, at 3 months old they had put more than $25 in food into her. Not to mention, in the wrong hands she would have been heavily at risk for becoming a fear-biter. I was doing her a favor. Her brother was not timid or fearful, so I left him to be an option for a less dog-experienced family.

Yes, if all was ideal, the $25 would have gone towards the mother getting fixed. I can't say that is what happened. I can say that Casey wound up in a good home for her temperament at the time, though.

Edit: And at least we kept her. An ad was posted at my work about 2 or 3 months later to give away two Lab/Boxer brothers. Same age, and one was the spitting image of Casey. I hope they found good homes.

I know you think you were saving the dog, but really all you did was enable/support the hicks that won't get the mother fixed and take the puppies to parking lots to sell. Still overall a pretty bad thing. I hate how every mutt thread turns into a jackapoo/parking lot byb circle jerk.

Need to get this thread back on track, but no more mutt pictures...here's some baby scorpions in a puppy pile.

Traxxus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 26, 2009

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

Sharpie Fix posted:

Really, I equate these kind of "OMG BYB!" posts as an passive way to say "I wish your dog had never been born". You just can't say this to a person that loves and cares for their dog that actually exists. I would never say this about anyone's pet, byb or otherwise. If anything, I might say that I wish a pet had never been in the wrong hands. Spend your time educating people not to breed or buy byb puppies in the first place if they can help it, not chastizing owners of dogs that happen to have come from those situations.

Yes, we were on our way to the shelter that night to look at dogs. Yes, we had been planning on getting a dog. This was not a whim. I feed this dog incredibly high quality food, and sometimes raw. She eats better than I do and sees the vet more often than I see a doctor. My dog is my child, and I'm out for her best interests.

I feel justified in having brought her home, and part of that was genuine concern that she would not make it through the process of being refused to be bought (she was one of the last for her temperament, not because she was ugly), neglected by the mother's owners (she was almost 5 lbs underweight), given away to some family that just wants a "free" cute little puppy ($25 is a drop in the bucket of $4K we have spent on her general care and health in the last 20 months - I can give you the numbers if you like), and then off to a shelter because the kids in the family scared the crap out of her and she bit them - or she was beaten because she pissed all over the carpets because they couldn't afford to take her to the vet and find out she had a UTI. If it wasn't me, then who would it be? Should I have just watched the shelter sites like a hawk waiting for her to show up 3 or 4 months later? Would she even make it to being adopted after all that trauma? Or would she be another numbered casualty in the Humane Society statistics?

But I digress...Think of ME what you will. Casey is an awesome dog, and there is nothing I would do to take back all the veterinary expenses, restless days, late night walks, and training frustrations.

"How could you say that about me?"

There are millions of dogs put to sleep each year because of a lack of homes for them. HSUS says about 5 million per year dogs and cats together. That is a tremendous waste, and is very sad. Buying from people out of the trunk of their car perpetuates this, giving them money for adding to the overpopulation problem is enabling at it's very finest (or worst). Like honda said, it's nothing personal against you or your dog, it's an epidemic that won't be solved anytime soon. But for every dog that is bought from BYB, pet stores, etc is another dog in a shelter that will be put to sleep, and also adds incentive for said BYBs to keep pumping out those puppies. It's a never ending cycle.