Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
This is Stella, aka Bubba:

She's a shy little white terrier mix that I brought home today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Brainwrong posted:

This is Casper. He was a puppy, but now he's not. We have no idea what he is. GSD, yes but there's something else in there too. He's 2 now and quite small and skinny. He also moves like a bat out of hell and can outrun most dogs he meets.

Any ideas?

Maybe some sort of sighthound? The overall body shape almost reminds me of a whippet or greyhound.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Reaganomicon posted:

This is Mia. She's half maltese and half (I think miniature) poodle. She's a funny, insanely intelligent little nut and she likes to lay in the warm southern California sun in the afternoon. She's also crazily photogenic and is very patient and sweet with my 1 1/2 year old niece :unsmith:

The prick ears don't usually show up in maltese or poodles - is that combination known? I think she kind of looks like a Chihuahua/terrier.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
So far our best guess for Stella is Maltese/Westie. She's about 12 lbs with a rough coat, ears that can't decide whether to stand up or not, a tail that curls and a penchant for digging.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

SmuglyDismissed posted:

I'd try to adopt her but husky is a restricted breed with my leasing company. If only I could get her listed as something else. :qq:

If she's small-ish claim she's an Alaskan klee kai mix.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Voodoofly posted:

Despite all of his behavior classifying him as feline, we have been assured he is in fact a dog. Our best guess is he is a poodle/westie mix, but if anyone else thinks they might have a better guess, I'd love to hear it.

Don't have a better guess, just an affirmation. First thought with the first picture was poodle mix and by the second picture I was thinking westie x poodle.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Meet Ru:

Ru was billed as a Schipperke mix at the shelter. I don't know whether to buy it. He's mostly black, has a foxy face and mid-length coarse-ish fur. But he also has a very lithe build - he weighs 14 lbs and stands 6 inches taller than my 12 lb Westie x Maltese. Any ideas?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I can barely get him to stand still, so no chance of stacked for Ru.

Side view:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Scary Ned posted:

Ru does look pretty terriery, maybe something like a long-legged fox terrier? He actually looks like he might be a Schip mix, but there just aren't that many of those wondering around and he's totally the wrong shape.

Also, I also have a Ru (who does not appear in this thread because he is clearly a poo poo-bred chihuahua). May I ask where your Ru's name came from?

It's short for Asparukh (founder of the first Bulgarian empire).

I threatened this name so I could nickname him Pookhy (which roughly translates to fluffy). Ru seemed to work better.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Engineer Lenk posted:

Meet Ru:

Ru was billed as a Schipperke mix at the shelter. I don't know whether to buy it. He's mostly black, has a foxy face and mid-length coarse-ish fur. But he also has a very lithe build - he weighs 14 lbs and stands 6 inches taller than my 12 lb Westie x Maltese. Any ideas?

Side view:

Ok, blast from the past here, but my trainer and I were speculating about Ru's mutted up lineage, and she suggested schipperke x poodle, because apparently adding poodle can throw some unexpected coat changes.

Then (lol dogbreedinfo and the cutesy names) I found a dog that looks like him:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/schipperpoo.htm (Pierre, halfway down).

All gangly with the weird rough-ish coat and foxy ears.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

mombot posted:

Maybe it's a doxie/rottie mix - stranger things have bread. Or maybe pug/rottie, or maybe chi in there? That coloring shouts rottie to me, but everything else :iiam: but 100% cute. I just love your Rory updates and pics!

I think min pin is way more likely than rottie, with his size.

My guess is min pin x boston or staffy.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 18, 2012

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Skizzles posted:

It happens. I've seen at least a handful of shar-pei mutts come through the shelters around here. One looked like someone glued a tiny shar-pei head on a generic brown dog body. :downs: But of course it is entirely possible it's the influence of some other dogs that tend to get wrinkly faces. That second picture just really looks shar-pei-ish to me.

The puppy picture doesn't, though. Shar-peis start with way more wrinkles than they end up with.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
http://www.seattlehumane.org/node/26585

Aussie, BC, or somewhere in-between?

The shelter claims Aussie, but I think he looks more like a Border Collie (ears, tail, eyes, coloring). The coat's very heavy, though.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Skizzles posted:

I think it looks more BC too, but I think there's definitely something else in there. Unless it's just a weird, chunky BC.

He's pretty overweight, and the build is roughly furry ottoman - something I'd expect out of an ACD more than a BC. Poor guy really wanted to play ball when I had him out on my last shift, but had to take extended breaks to catch his breath.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

jgrrr posted:

her personality makes it seem like she's not all pit though, nor her size. she's under 40 pounds. her body shape also speaks towards catahoula, but I agree that many of her features don't speak to that effect.

30-50 lbs is breed standard for APBT. They're medium-sized dogs.

What aspects of her personality? Is she reserved?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Does her tail curl?

She looks a bit like my Westie x Maltese (who also looks like Falcor) - but I can't tell from the angles if her muzzle is shorter than a Cairn or Norfolk.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

mutantmanifesto posted:

So I've had my girl for over a week, and now I know what she looks like by heart. Her tail actually does, in fact, curl. It's long and curls over at the top, almost touching her back when it's up.

Sounds a lot like mine - I didn't know her tail curled until she got settled in.

I'd guess Cairn x Maltese.

For comparison, my dog. She ranges considerably in the way she looks.
First day home:

Coat grown in all fluffy:

Coat stripped:

Better face shot:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Looks like Yorkie/Poodle.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Harebrain posted:

Meet Sprocket!

The rescue told us that he is a terrier mix, which I can see, but I can't tell what else he may be. He will be a year old by the end of November, has really long legs, his tail curls when it's not wagging constantly & and he currently weighs 15 lbs.

For scruffy leggy small dogs, my first guess is always poodle mix.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Pew! Pew! posted:

Unfortunately, those tests CAN be inaccurate because there's only a limited number of breeds they'll test for (usually the most common). I can see chihuahua and shi-tzu, but I don't see maltese at all.

I saw Maltese in the mix when Lucy was first posted - something about the roundness of the eyes plus head shape.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Topoisomerase posted:

You mean ~doodles~ :smug:

Or poos.

It'll be great when they rebrand cockapoos as cockadoodles.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

tehschulman posted:

Meet August:

He is definitely a long-hair daschund but there is some other ingredients in the mix. His tail curls up so maybe something along the lines of Pomeranian?

It's hard to say without body shots and approximate height/weight. Maybe doxie x papillon?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Lovecraftian posted:

This is my dog Gizmo. We were told that she was a JRT x Chi but I think that's ridiculous- especially as she's grown and she comes up to my knee now.

What do you guys think? :)

Going out of left field here, but maybe Cavalier King Charles x Beagle.

E: the ears aren't quite right for that combination, but there's something about her that makes me think cav - sheltie/cav?

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 17, 2012

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Dogdoo 8 posted:

You don't understand. I have a poodle mix so now every dog is a poodle mix :downs:.

To be fair, there are a poo poo-ton of poodle mutts out there, so calling everything with a curly/wavy/coarse coat and slim build a poodle mix is a high-probability guess.

I just don't see much of a poodle coat in this one.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

a life less posted:

I'm seeing more Aussie than Border Collie. However, I tend to see Aussie in everything so.... whelp.

I saw that too.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

lokipunk posted:

More can be provided for help if needed. As I said, this is purely for curiosity, he is such a good dog, I just want to have something more definite to say when people ask "what kind of dog is he?"

I'd go with mostly Aussie, maybe mixed with something stumpy depending how ridiculously short he is (I can't quite tell when he's curled up). Black and tan with no white isn't a common color, but it is allowed.

Take a look at this page, most of the way down: http://www.ashgi.org/color/black_aussies.htm

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

actionjackson posted:

No picture, but saw an interesting breed today (or mix, not sure). Basically had a very borzoi-like face (very long and narrow), but more fur on the rest of his body and smaller overall. Some of it's features and colors remind me of a Shetland too, like Lassie or something.

Lassie was a rough collie, and that sounds like what you're describing.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I worked with an interesting mutt today at the shelter (billed as boston x schip, maybe true, definitely boston):

He looked really weird, though cute: long-ish rough guard hairs, moderate muzzle, fairly lanky build.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Fraction posted:

Boston crossed with a plain ol', muttyish scruffy terrier would definitely be a possibility too imo.

This was my first thought, before I saw his paperwork. I can believe the schip mix, though. I have a likely one at home and this dog has the same type of coat and some of the same (obnoxious) vocalizations.

Captain Foxy posted:

I could see boston/pom, if schipperkes aren't common in your area, but why someone would want to create such an abomination is beyond me.

Maybe - but there was very little volume to the coat. Most of the pom mixes I've seen are pretty poofy, for lack of a better term.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Papercut posted:

Is someone talking about schipperke mutts?

Schip mutts are the best craziest mutts.

Current state:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Papercut posted:

He's great for cat-lovers too, a couple of days ago my wife caught him sunbathing on our dining room table. You're not a cat, dog.

Is the ridiculous vertical leap a schip thing? Ru will bounce up on picnic tables from the ground, and clears the baby gate into the cat room with ease.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

I would guess Maltese x poodle. I dogsat one last year who looked almost identical.

Maltese x poodles usually clock in at sub-10 lbs, and the face isn't delicate enough, for lack of a better term.

I actually kind of think cocker-poodle mix. The cut's not typical for that particular cross-breed (and I can't tell what her ear shape actually is), but the size is right and they're pretty common.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

This it the dog I looked after, he was larger than I expected and would have been about 9-10kg (20lb).

Could be a cocker cross, if you google straight haired cocker x poodles they look pretty similar... I agree it's hard to tell with the haircut though, it could be any number of breeds under there.

Yeah, that dog also looks overweight at 20 lbs.

Do you see the difference in face I was talking about? Maltese mixes tend to have a shorter, smaller snout and more upright stop than cocker mixes.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Can you help ID my sister's dog?

She's small, with a long body and snout like a JRT, but she's way smaller. She's a good jumper, can walk upright and stand like a prariedog for ages. She loves climbing and playfighting with larger dogs. She's a habitual spinner, always clockwise. She doesn't bark much, but does these strange, growly mumbling vocalizations. She is a fiend for attention and will always beg for pets from new people. She's the first dog I've ever seen who actually wants to wear those stupid dog sweaters and will beg and carry them to people until someone puts it on her. She has no prey drive, and she isn't praise or food motivated. She actually acts very catlike. she has a nasty habit of trying to lick the inside of your mouth. I would be shocked if she didn't have JRT in her, but I'm at a loss as to what else.

If you're around Appalachia, I might think feist.

E: I keep seeing chi x beagle as well for some reason.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 16, 2013

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Double Plus Good posted:

Yeah, I don't really see Dachshund either, the long haired ones I've seen aren't usually so... poofy. The Chi/Dach mix in the pics I posted is probably a long haired Chi which are poofy like that. But 15lbs is too big for a Chi, right? I guess the shelter lady was thinking Corgi because of the stump legs and bat ears. I don't know what kind of little dog would have a tail that's ridiculous like that, maybe it's just overgrown?

EDIT: Here's another really poor, bafflingly small, weird angled photo, but you can maybe of see the Dach longness in this one.

The tail just looks long-haired chi to me, although the face and size would indicate chi-mutt. There are a fair number of long-ish small dogs that don't have doxie or corgi anywhere in the near-past.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Looks like she could a shih tzu x terrier (any of a number of terrier options), or a second-generation designer dog cross involving any number of small dogs (poodle, shih tzu, lhasa apso, yorkie, silky, maltese, havanese, cairn, westie, schnauzer). Havenese, Westies and Cairns aren't as common for the designer breeds, though. What's the coat like and how much does she weigh?

As for the fluffy yellow shelter dog, could be a generic byb pomeranian x small-medium spaniel or mutt. The face definitely looks more eskie than pom, but byb poms can have that look too - and they're more common. Can't really tell size from the pic either.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

That was my guess too, maybe mixed with Shih-Tzu to get the curly tail. Is the coat wiry?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Engineer Lenk posted:

Meet Ru:

Engineer Lenk posted:

Side view:

Coming back 2 years later with Wisdom Panel results:

American Eskimo mix x Yorkie mix - 2 grandparents identified.

It makes sense - we've heard a lot of people guess Spitz breed x Terrier mix, and his build fits Eskie better then Schip - the color clearly threw us off. That side view notwithstanding, his tail is usually curved over his back.

Highest other matches just below the limit of detection:
Norwegian Buhund (makes sense, his color pattern is similar to the black Buhunds)
Siberian Husky
Komondor (heh)
Silky Terrier
Norfolk Terrier

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 13, 2013

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
You sure he needs much weight on? Can't see ribs and his tuck isn't extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

AvianPundit posted:

Yeah! When we first saw him, we had trouble seeing just how emaciated he was until we reached down to pet his back. No padding on the ribs and his hips are pokey. It's hard to see because his coat is so "busy".

Ribs are supposed to feel like your knuckles through the back of your open hand - just enough padding to not jut out. Cattledogs (and labs) run to fat very easily, so be careful on refeeding.