Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
We adopted our new pup about two weeks ago from a rescue. The shelter and rescue say she's Pharaoh Hound/Pit Bull/maybe German Shepherd. They think her mom is a Pharaoh Hound/Pit Bull mix and they assume the father was a German Shepherd because a lot of the puppies looked like they were Shepherds though Eris doesn't that much. She's brown brindle with white on her nose (the only pup with identical face markings to her mom), on her chest, and the very tip of her tail.

Here is her mom, she had a stray bullet fragment hit her in the eye so she lost it :(

Here is Eris the day we got her (as you can see she gets the pink nose/blush when she's happy):

Here is Eris a few days ago, her ears stand up more and more every day :)

rivals fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah, it doesn't surprise me at all that she doesn't have Pharaoh Hound in her given that it was likely a guess from a shelter volunteer or something. She's an absolutely great dog and we couldn't have asked for more. The only problem that seems to be shaping up is that socialization is going to be more difficult than expected but we'll figure it out.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Lilah is so adorable. I love her fur :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I just looked back in the thread to see him and he looks like a great pup, I'm sure he will be very happy with the new family and they will be with him.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

He's very cute. How old is he?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Holy poo poo. Edmund is gorgeous. What did his DNA tests say? I think your assumptions are pretty accurate but I"m curious as to what other crazy things those tests say.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I see those as well. She is absolutely beautiful though.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I'll post a pic of our pup in a little while but yours looks VERY similar to her. She's a pit mix and her litter looked like pit/GSD though she doesn't look very GSD. Many people have said, and we're starting to see it a bit, that she might have Border Collie. I think I have an identical picture to the first one you posted, trying to dig it up now. Also, she makes the same face rolling on her back like that third pic, so loving adorable.

EDIT: Can't find it but we took a couple new ones. Both of her ears are usually up but she's just getting over an ear infection in her left ear so she's been holding it back lately.

rivals fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 2, 2009

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Frantick posted:

I was surprised because he looks like he's mostly pit. His DNA test says he is 73% "hunting dog" and my best guess is lab due to his personality.

Was the test that you got able to recognize pit? We thought about doing it for our pit mix pup but none of the tests we found recognized pits so we figured all of the results would be jumbled/inaccurate.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Chickan Raptor posted:

I would imagine that any pit would fall under American Staffordshire terrier. I'm planning to test Sputnik after the holiday season, when I can recoup some money after Christmas.

The ones I looked at from petco (one that found up to 50 breeds and another that did 100) didn't even have amstaff. If we could find one that did recognize at least American Staffordshire we'd probably get it done on Eris.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

a life less posted:

I don't see either Heeler or Husky here - both the ears and fur texture are uncharacteristic for those breeds. How sure are you? Regardless, she's really beautiful.

This, and also color. It's almost brindle and that color brown isn't common in any of those breeds. She is absolutely gorgeous though.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

How come you had to put him up for adoption? He looks beautiful.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I don't really see any GSD in him. That said, I can't really tell what else he has. His size/chest makes me think Rott is possible though but I'm really not sure.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

She's so adorable :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Warbadger posted:

It's shedding season! Yayyyy!

She's so adorable :3: Luckily Kaidan hasn't started blowing his coat again yet. I really need to pick up some new grooming tools as per WolfensteinBag's recommendations. He also needs to get into a groomer soon.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

That time is coming up for us soon, I think. Don't remind me :( I think last time we filled 5-6 grocery bags at least.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Pits aren't much larger than that :ssh:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

That is not a mutt :colbert:

But she is loving adorable. Do their ears just not grow at all?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Heeler maybe? Hard to tell the size from the pictures, but the ears and face give me that feeling a little.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Healy posted:

Alright, I just got this 6 month old pup about a week ago, the guy I got him from said he was a Cain Corso / Bull Mastiff mix, but I don't think he was too sure. I think he has mastiff in him because of his size, but he doesn't really look like either in the face....maybe you guys have some idea?

I can see Bull Mastiff in the face for sure. Don't know what else but he is loving adorable :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

The coat doesn't look like either of those breeds either, looks very terrier-y to me.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Also other than his coat color (definitely not the texture) I don't see really see GSD. It's also difficult to tell without good body shots. I don't think I'd really chalk up the "pointing" to anything though.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Scary Ned posted:

Astrid looks like a shorthaired version of every Anatolian I've ever met, if that helps.

Yep. She's adorable :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

MickRaider posted:

I can see your point, but cattle dogs are also pretty small, lizzie's almost/as big as my friends aussie.

To the best of my knowledge, ACDs actually don't have that strict of a weight standard and most htat I've been around are anywhere from 30-50 or maybe 55 pounds (which is also near the weight of most Aussies).

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Kerfuffle posted:

Cuuuute. Aussie/GSD mix? Those ears. :3:

This was my thought. Adorable dog no matter what though :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

She is very cute. Do you have a crate for her to work on the anxiety problems?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

That dog is going to be way more than 35 pounds if he's over 25 at ~16 weeks. His paws look pretty big by that last picture and that's a pretty good indicator of how big they'll get. He's really cute though.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah I can maybe see why they said Pointer because of the color on her belly, but I see a lot of Pit in that dog.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Definitely Pit.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Echoing that the dog needs to get back with the mom ASAP. Also tell your idiot coworker to stop buying designer breeds and loving spay her dog

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I see a lot of Border Collie in him for sure, but I think a life less has a good point regarding the coat. Be prepared for the most adorable endless supply of energy you've ever experienced :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Seconding that. She's got a lot of Pit and she's absolutely gorgeous. :3: Bully breed thread needs pictures of her ASAP.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Holy gently caress that is a cute puppy.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I was going to say the same thing.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah, I'm fairly positive that dog's got at least some BC. The rest is probably terrier/herding mix depending on size.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

For what it's worth, both boxers in Kaidan's nosework class are titled.

rivals fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 1, 2011

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

a life less posted:

Image stolen from a blog I read. I think her ears illustrate the point quite well. She's a pibble with some crazy ears.

Those ears are identical to Eris' mom who was definitely pit.

Also Eris has big goofy ears (we call her Earis :3:) but I seemingly can't find any good pictures of them right now.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Kerfuffle posted:

Far from a shepherd expert, but she just looks like a byb GSD to me.

Hard to tell without a good idea of the size, but either this or some mostly-GSD mix. I don't see any Husky at all really. The mask features are unusual for a GSD but I don't think it means Husky.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yes there is a lot. AFAIK your average well bred GSD will be smaller than most (not all, of course) of their BYB counterparts, I want to say that in addition to the obvious hip issues with US show GSDs now they have been breeding oversized dogs as well but don't quote me on that. IIRC the breed standard calls for something much smaller than the average GSD you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Mal mix of some sort most likely.